Re: split domain, relay by default

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 19 8:49 PM
      On 3/19/2013 7:24 PM, David Koski wrote:
      > I need to relay for a domain by default but deliver for specific users locally
      > (Dovecot).

      Configure the domain as a normal relay_domain, define the users in
      relay_recipient_maps.

      List the specific users to be delivered by dovecot in transport
      pointing to the dovecot transport (assuming the master.cf entry is
      named "dovecot").

      # transport file
      user1@... dovecot:
      user2@... dovecot:
      # and if the relay domain needs a helper transport entry:
      example.com relay:[somewhere.example.com]

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 20 10:30 AM
        On 3/20/2013 11:59 AM, David Koski wrote:
        >> On 3/19/2013 7:24 PM, David Koski wrote:
        >>> I need to relay for a domain by default but deliver for specific users
        >>> locally (Dovecot).
        >>
        >> Configure the domain as a normal relay_domain, define the users in
        >> relay_recipient_maps.
        >>
        >> List the specific users to be delivered by dovecot in transport
        >> pointing to the dovecot transport (assuming the master.cf entry is
        >> named "dovecot").
        >>
        >> # transport file
        >> user1@... dovecot:
        >> user2@... dovecot:
        >> # and if the relay domain needs a helper transport entry:
        >> example.com relay:[somewhere.example.com]
        >
        > I am trying to avoid keeping a list of relay recipients separate so I don't
        > have to maintain two lists, one on the relay server and one on the default
        > destination server. I'm looking for a way to relay by default but deliver
        > locally for specific users using dovecot. I do this with another server using
        > Courier (maildrop for virtual transport).
        >
        > Regards,
        > David Koski
        > dkoski@...

        Recipient validation at the internet gateway is required to prevent
        your queue from being clogged with undeliverable bounces, and to
        prevent you from getting blacklisted as a backscatter source.
        http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relay_recipient_maps

        If you control the destination, and have a list of recipients on the
        destination, it's silly to not use that list on the gateway. Use
        rsync or a version control system to sync the list between the two
        computers. Set it up once and let the computer do the work.

        If there's some reason you can't sync the list to the gateway, use
        verification probes to let postfix build the list for you.
        http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html#recipient

        -- Noel Jones
      • David Koski
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 20 1:39 PM

          > >> Configure the domain as a normal relay_domain, define the users in
          > >> relay_recipient_maps.
          > >>
          > >> List the specific users to be delivered by dovecot in transport
          > >> pointing to the dovecot transport (assuming the master.cf entry is
          > >> named "dovecot").
          > >>
          > >> # transport file
          > >> user1@... dovecot:
          > >> user2@... dovecot:
          > >> # and if the relay domain needs a helper transport entry:
          > >> example.com relay:[somewhere.example.com]
          > >
          > > I am trying to avoid keeping a list of relay recipients separate so I
          > > don't have to maintain two lists, one on the relay server and one on the
          > > default destination server. I'm looking for a way to relay by default
          > > but deliver locally for specific users using dovecot. I do this with
          > > another server using Courier (maildrop for virtual transport).
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > David Koski
          > > dkoski@...
          >
          > Recipient validation at the internet gateway is required to prevent
          > your queue from being clogged with undeliverable bounces, and to
          > prevent you from getting blacklisted as a backscatter source.
          > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relay_recipient_maps
          >
          > If you control the destination, and have a list of recipients on the
          > destination, it's silly to not use that list on the gateway. Use
          > rsync or a version control system to sync the list between the two
          > computers. Set it up once and let the computer do the work.
          >
          > If there's some reason you can't sync the list to the gateway, use
          > verification probes to let postfix build the list for you.
          > http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html#recipient
          >

          > -- Noel Jones

          Ultimately I must have a unified database (MySQL) for all servers but for now
          I just need to get this working if possible. As per the link above
          (http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html#recipient) I have
          made changes.

          I have in my main.cf:
          89 smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
          90 permit_mynetworks
          91 reject_unauth_destination
          92 reject_unknown_recipient_domain
          93 reject_unverified_recipient
          94 permit_sasl_authenticated

          Also have:

          116 relay_domains = sutinen.com

          Transport table:

          1 # The sutinen.com accounts must be listed here..
          2 # ..ahead of the domain name.
          3 test@... dovecot:
          4 sutinen.com smtp:

          I still get:

          " Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table"

          David Koski
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 20 2:00 PM
            On 3/20/2013 3:39 PM, David Koski wrote:
            > Ultimately I must have a unified database (MySQL) for all servers but for now
            > I just need to get this working if possible. As per the link above
            > (http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html#recipient) I have
            > made changes.
            >
            > I have in my main.cf:
            > 89 smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
            > 90 permit_mynetworks
            > 91 reject_unauth_destination
            > 92 reject_unknown_recipient_domain
            > 93 reject_unverified_recipient
            > 94 permit_sasl_authenticated
            >
            > Also have:
            >
            > 116 relay_domains = sutinen.com
            >
            > Transport table:
            >
            > 1 # The sutinen.com accounts must be listed here..
            > 2 # ..ahead of the domain name.

            Order doesn't matter in hash tables.

            > 3 test@... dovecot:
            > 4 sutinen.com smtp:

            Don't list the domain in transport.

            > I still get:
            >
            > " Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table"

            Looks as if you've listed the domain as a virtual_mailbox_domain.
            Don't do that. Each domain should be listed in only one address class.