Duplicate Emails Sent

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 18 1:51 PM
      Hi All.

      The scenario:

      From: aaaa@...
      To:      bbbb@...
      CC:     me@...

      After receiving the email CC at site 3, site 3 is sending out emails to everyone on the original,
      basically a duplicate email arrives to the sender and everyone in the headers.

      >>a sends mail to b with me in cc.
      >>me sends mail to everyone in the email headers

      I am asking how to stop this behavior.?

      I tried in an earlier attempt to post my postconf contents here but was rejected due to size.

      Thanks

      Ed
    • Victor d'Agostino
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 18 2:45 PM
        Hi Ed,

        It seems that site3.com smtp server use header recipients instead of SMTP RCPT TO recipients and also send to the sender ...

        Can you post email headers to check the Received From fields ?

        Le 18/03/2013 21:51, Ed a écrit :
        Hi All.

        The scenario:

        From: aaaa@...
        To:      bbbb@...
        CC:     me@...

        After receiving the email CC at site 3, site 3 is sending out emails to everyone on the original,
        basically a duplicate email arrives to the sender and everyone in the headers.

        >>a sends mail to b with me in cc.
        >>me sends mail to everyone in the email headers

        I am asking how to stop this behavior.?

        I tried in an earlier attempt to post my postconf contents here but was rejected due to size.

        Thanks

        Ed

      • Jeroen Geilman
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 18 3:04 PM
          On 03/18/2013 09:51 PM, Ed wrote:
          Hi All.

          The scenario:

          From: aaaa@...
          To:      bbbb@...
          CC:     me@...

          After receiving the email CC at site 3, site 3 is sending out emails to everyone on the original,

          Configure site3 to stop doing that.

          --
          J.

        • Ed
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 19 4:17 AM
            Hi Victor,

            I have requested the info from site1.

            I looked for the SMTP RCPT TO command in the man file.

            Could you provide a hint as to the configuration parameter?

            Ed

            It seems that site3.com smtp server use header recipients instead of SMTP RCPT TO recipients and also send to the sender ...

            Can you post email headers to check the Received From fields ?

            Le 18/03/2013 21:51, Ed a écrit :
            Hi All.

            The scenario:

            From: aaaa@...
            To:      bbbb@...
            CC:     me@...

            After receiving the email CC at site 3, site 3 is sending out emails to everyone on the original,
            basically a duplicate email arrives to the sender and everyone in the headers.

            >>a sends mail to b with me in cc.
            >>me sends mail to everyone in the email headers

            I am asking how to stop this behavior.?

            I tried in an earlier attempt to post my postconf contents here but was rejected due to size.

            Thanks

            Ed

          • Larry Stone
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 19 4:46 AM
              We generally do not top post on this list. Please keep replies in-line.

              On Mar 19, 2013, at 6:17 AM, Ed <ej197us@...> wrote:

              > I have requested the info from site1.

              From your initial description, it appears the problem is with site3. Site1 information will probably not be helpful.

              > I looked for the SMTP RCPT TO command in the man file.
              >
              > Could you provide a hint as to the configuration parameter?

              Sounds like you need to learn about how SMTP works. RCPT TO is one of the commands used between an SMTP client and an SMTP server. The address listed after RCPT TO is what is called the "envelope recipient" and is the destination address to which the server will deliver or forward the mail. The "To" and "CC" headers in a mail message are just part of the message to a mail server (think of it like snail mail - the post office delivers the mail to the recipient on the envelope and does not care at all to whom the letter inside the envelope says it is addressed).

              Your initial description makes it sound like something at site3 is parsing the message headers (From, To, and CC) and then attempting to resend the message to those addresses. If true, that is very wrong behavior on the part of site3. Your example says "me@..." so I assume you are the site3 recipient. Are you running some sort of script on the received message that might be doing this? Do you control the site3 SMTP server or are you just a user there?

              --
              Larry Stone
              lstone19@...

            • Ed
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 19 5:08 AM
                Hi Larry,

                We generally do not top post on this list. Please keep replies in-line.

                Ok...

                On Mar 19, 2013, at 6:17 AM, Ed <ej197us@...> wrote:

                > I have requested the info from site1.

                From your initial description, it appears the problem is with site3. Site1 information will probably not be helpful.

                > I looked for the SMTP RCPT TO command in the man file.
                >
                > Could you provide a hint as to the configuration parameter?

                Sounds like you need to learn about how SMTP works. RCPT TO is one of the commands used between an SMTP client and an SMTP server. The address listed after RCPT TO is what is called the "envelope recipient" and is the destination address to which the server will deliver or forward the mail. The "To" and "CC" headers in a mail message are just part of the message to a mail server (think of it like snail mail - the post office delivers the mail to the recipient on the envelope and does not care at all to whom the letter inside the envelope says it is addressed).

                Yes, your correct.  I do need to learn.

                Your initial description makes it sound like something at site3 is parsing the message headers (From, To, and CC) and then attempting to resend the message to those addresses. If true, that is very wrong behavior on the part of site3. Your example says "me@..." so I assume you are the site3 recipient. Are you running some sort of script on the received message that might be doing this? Do you control the site3 SMTP server or are you just a user there?

                I have control over the site3 SMTP where the problem is. It is recent installation, late last year.  Is there a rule in postfix that i missed perhaps?

                --
                Larry Stone
                lstone19@...
                http://www.stonejongleux.com/

              • Larry Stone
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 19 6:52 AM
                  On Tue, 19 Mar 2013, Ed wrote:

                  > I have control over the site3 SMTP where the problem is. It is recent
                  > installation, late last year.  Is there a rule in postfix that i
                  > missed perhaps?

                  Then please follow the directions you received when you joined the list
                  and include the "postconf -n" output from site3 as well as a log snippet
                  showing the problem. Include both the initial receipt of the message from
                  site1 and the sending of the message back out to the sender and all
                  the recipients. At this point, you should probably also restate your
                  problem since many people do not save every message and would not have
                  your initial statement of the problem.

                  -- Larry Stone
                  lstone19@...
                • Ed
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 19 8:50 AM
                    Hi All.

                    I am experiencing an issue with the following:

                    The scenario:

                    From: aaaa@...
                    To:      bbbb@...
                    CC:    me@...

                    After receiving the email CC at site 3, site 3 is sending out emails to everyone on the original,
                    basically a duplicate email arrives to the sender and everyone in the headers.

                    >>a sends mail to b with me in cc.
                    >>me@... sends mail out to everyone in the FROM and CC upon receipt of the mail

                    I am asking how to stop this behavior.?

                    Site 3 logs and postconf follows
                    Logs
                    ----------------------
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail postfix/cleanup[5265]: 10E7BE1C0A: message-id=<E72852EF80963148B21E9046E0C9BDC82863FEC1@...>
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail postfix/smtpd[5269]: disconnect from localhost[127.0.0.1]
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail postfix/smtp[5266]: 44D90E014D: to=<edlang@...>, relay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10024, delay=6.5, delays=1.7/0.02/0/4.7, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 Ok, id=03066-15, from MTA([127.0.0.1]:10025): 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 10E7BE1C0A)
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail postfix/qmgr[2179]: 44D90E014D: removed
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail postfix/smtp[5270]: 10E7BE1C0A: to=<edlang@...>, relay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10026, delay=0.05, delays=0.03/0.02/0/0, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 Ok)
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail postfix/qmgr[2179]: 10E7BE1C0A: removed
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail postfix/smtpd[5272]: connect from localhost[127.0.0.1]
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail postfix/smtpd[5272]: 4B9A3E1C0A: client=localhost[127.0.0.1]
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail postfix/cleanup[5265]: 4B9A3E1C0A: message-id=<E72852EF80963148B21E9046E0C9BDC82863FEC1@...>
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail postfix/qmgr[2179]: 4B9A3E1C0A: from=<avery.robert@...>, size=7049, nrcpt=3 (queue active)
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail postfix/smtpd[5272]: disconnect from localhost[127.0.0.1]
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail lmtpunix[5164]: accepted connection
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail lmtpunix[5164]: lmtp connection preauth'd as postman
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail master[5276]: about to exec /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/lmtpd
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail lmtpunix[5276]: executed
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail lmtpunix[5164]: ptload(): fetched cache record (edlang@...)(mark 1363263746, current 1363271261, limit 1363260461)
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail lmtpunix[5164]: ptload returning data
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail lmtpunix[5164]: using ptloaded value of: edlang@...
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail lmtpunix[5164]: ptload(): fetched cache record (edlang@...)(mark 1363263746, current 1363271261, limit 1363260461)
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail lmtpunix[5164]: ptload returning data
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail lmtpunix[5164]: using ptloaded value of: edlang@...
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail lmtpunix[5164]: Delivered: <E72852EF80963148B21E9046E0C9BDC82863FEC1@...> to mailbox: cybered-corp.com!user.edlang
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail lmtpunix[5164]: USAGE edlang user: 0.011998 sys: 0.016997
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail postfix/lmtp[5273]: 4B9A3E1C0A: to=<edlang@...>, relay=mail.avnoc.com[/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp], delay=0.15, delays=0.04/0.03/0/0.08, dsn=2.1.5, status=sent (250 2.1.5 Ok SESSIONID=<mail.avnoc.com-5164-1363271261-1>)

                    Here is where it looks like upon receipt of the original email we are sending mail back out

                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail postfix/smtp[5274]: 4B9A3E1C0A: enabling PIX workarounds: disable_esmtp delay_dotcrlf for spamtrap1a.nps.k12.va.us[216.54.48.8]:25
                    Mar 14 10:27:41 mail postfix/smtp[5275]: 4B9A3E1C0A: to=<crawford.chris@...>, relay=mail.secep.net[216.54.45.133]:25, delay=0.42, delays=0.04/0.06/0.1/0.23, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 Ok: queued as AD9CA2B8C073)
                    Mar 14 10:27:43 mail postfix/smtp[5274]: 4B9A3E1C0A: to=<rdavis@...>, relay=spamtrap1a.nps.k12.va.us[216.54.48.8]:25, delay=2, delays=0.04/0.03/0.23/1.7, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 r2EERf48009708 Message accepted for delivery)
                    Mar 14 10:27:43 mail postfix/qmgr[2179]: 4B9A3E1C0A: removed

                    PostConf Output
                    ----------------------------
                    alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
                    alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
                    command_directory = /usr/sbin
                    config_directory = /etc/postfix
                    daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
                    data_directory = /var/lib/postfix
                    debug_peer_level = 2
                    html_directory = no
                    inet_interfaces = all
                    inet_protocols = all
                    local_recipient_maps = ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap/local_recipient_maps.cf
                    mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
                    manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
                    mydestination = ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap/mydestination.cf
                    mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8, 10.0.0.0/8
                    mynetworks_style = host
                    myorigin = $mydomain
                    readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.6.6/README_FILES
                    setgid_group = postdrop
                    smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, reject_unauth_pipelining, reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org, reject_non_fqdn_recipient, reject_invalid_helo_hostname, reject_unknown_recipient_domain, reject_unauth_destination, check_policy_service unix:private/recipient_policy_incoming, permit
                    smtpd_sender_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, check_policy_service unix:private/sender_policy_incoming
                    smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes
                    smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/pki/tls/private/localhost.pem
                    smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/pki/tls/private/localhost.pem
                    transport_maps = ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap/transport_maps.cf
                    unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
                    virtual_alias_maps = $alias_maps, ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap/virtual_alias_maps.cf, ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap/mailenabled_distgroups.cf, ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap/mailenabled_dynamic_distgroups.cf, hash:/etc/postfix/virtual

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 19 9:41 AM
                      On 3/19/2013 10:50 AM, Ed wrote:
                      > Hi All.
                      >
                      > I am experiencing an issue with the following:
                      >
                      > The scenario:
                      >
                      > From: aaaa@... <mailto:aaaa@...>
                      > To: bbbb@... <mailto:bbbb@...>
                      > CC: me@... <mailto:me@...>
                      >
                      > After receiving the email CC at site 3, site 3 is sending out emails
                      > to everyone on the original,
                      > basically a duplicate email arrives to the sender and everyone in
                      > the headers.

                      The are basically two ways mail can be resent to header addresses.
                      Either you're sending to a content_filter that feeds the mail into
                      "sendmail -t" (very bad! don't do that), or the recipient has a
                      procmail or similar delivery filter that is resending the mail.

                      It's not clear from the logs you've posted what is happening, but
                      it's sure to be one of these.

                      -- Noel Jones
                    • Larry Stone
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 19 10:10 AM
                        On Tue, 19 Mar 2013, Ed wrote:

                        > Hi All.
                        >
                        > I am experiencing an issue with the following:
                        >
                        > The scenario:
                        >
                        > From: aaaa@...
                        > To:      bbbb@...
                        > CC:    me@...
                        >
                        > After receiving the email CC at site 3, site 3 is sending out emails to
                        > everyone on the original,
                        > basically a duplicate email arrives to the sender and everyone in the
                        > headers.

                        You then include logs but it's hard to figure out what corresponds to
                        site1, site2, and site3.

                        The logs appear to indicate that there are one or more content filters at
                        play. Noel pointed out what can happen if they're poorly designed.

                        Postfix

                        > Site 3 logs and postconf follows
                        > Logs
                        > ----------------------
                        > Mar 14 10:27:41 mail postfix/cleanup[5265]: 10E7BE1C0A:message-id=<E72852EF80963148B21E9046E0C9BDC82863FEC1@...
                        > al>
                        > Mar 14 10:27:41 mail postfix/smtpd[5269]: disconnect from
                        > localhost[127.0.0.1]
                        > Mar 14 10:27:41 mail postfix/smtp[5266]: 44D90E014D:
                        > to=<edlang@...>, relay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10024, delay=6.5,
                        > delays=1.7/0.02/0/4.7, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 Ok, id=03066-15,
                        > from MTA([127.0.0.1]:10025): 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 10E7BE1C0A)

                        What's this. We see the queue ID reported by the recieving SMTP server in
                        our own logs. Is this just being handed off to our same Postfix instance
                        on another port?

                        > Mar 14 10:27:41 mail postfix/qmgr[2179]: 44D90E014D: removed
                        > Mar 14 10:27:41 mail postfix/smtp[5270]: 10E7BE1C0A:
                        > to=<edlang@...>, relay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10026, delay=0.05,
                        > delays=0.03/0.02/0/0, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 Ok)

                        Handed off to a content filter at port 10026.

                        > Mar 14 10:27:41 mail postfix/qmgr[2179]: 10E7BE1C0A: removed

                        > Mar 14 10:27:41 mail postfix/smtpd[5272]: connect from localhost[127.0.0.1]
                        > Mar 14 10:27:41 mail postfix/smtpd[5272]: 4B9A3E1C0A:
                        > client=localhost[127.0.0.1]
                        > Mar 14 10:27:41 mail postfix/cleanup[5265]: 4B9A3E1C0A:message-id=<E72852EF80963148B21E9046E0C9BDC82863FEC1@...
                        > al>
                        > Mar 14 10:27:41 mail postfix/qmgr[2179]: 4B9A3E1C0A:
                        > from=<avery.robert@...>, size=7049, nrcpt=3 (queue active)

                        And comes back from a content filter with 3 recipients.

                        Seeing your master.cf might help too. But it's most likely the content
                        filter listening to port 10026.

                        -- Larry Stone
                        lstone19@...
                      • Ed
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 19 2:02 PM
                          Thanks Noel,

                          I am going to set up a defined test and look into sendmail/procmail thoughts

                          Ed

                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 20 5:19 AM
                            Thanks for the insight  Larry.

                            I think that some work nee3ds to be done on the filter at 100026

                            Ed