Re: a few questions:new to postfix

  • Littlefield, Tyler
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 18, 2013
      On 3/14/2013 2:51 AM, Ansgar Wiechers wrote:
      > On 2013-03-13 Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
      >> first, I have my postfix setup to receive mail and drop it in the
      >> user's ~/mail directory.
      >> I'm trying to figure out if there's a way I can have both "virtual"
      >> users and non virtual users.
      > You can alias localparts of virtual domains or virtual mailbox domains
      > to local mailboxes via $virtual_alias_maps. See the [1] for more
      > details.
      >
      >> I'd also like to be able to use procmail on these.
      > Procmail is designed for local delivery. It looks like you can (ab)use
      > it for virtual delivery as well [2], but I wouldn't recommend it.
      >
      > Please describe the problem you're trying to solve instead of what you
      > perceive as the solution. What do you want procmail (or more generally
      > your mail delivery agent) to do?

      thanks for the response. My goal its to allow for setting up rules; for example, spamassassin will flag spam messages with a [spam]. I currently use procmail from my account to dump those in the spam folder. I need a way to set up these rules (as well as allow for people to use other rules).

      >> Is there a way (short of just creating empty users) that I could do
      >> this and still retain email per user?
      > What do you mean by "short of creating empty users"? You can create any
      > number of mailboxes and/or aliases. You can have any number of aliases
      > pointing to a mailbox. You cannot have a mailbox without a mailbox.
      >
      >> Finally, I'm looking for some way to handle recycling mail. I
      >> personally know to clean up my own mail folder by deleting stuff (we
      >> use Imap), but the support system or my girlfriend probably wouldn't
      >> clean up those messages.
      > In one word: don't. Do NOT tamper with other people's personal
      > mailboxes. Ever. Set up mailbox quota if you want to restrict the amount
      > of mail your users can keep.

      I understand this; I didn't want to delete from the inbox but maybe delete trash after 30 days. The quota is a good idea, but it still requires they manually delete mail. Is there a solution to help me from having to do this?

      [1] http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html
      [2] http://standish.home3.org/virtual-procmail

      Regards
      Ansgar Wiechers