some of variable of postfix when you posinstall it

  • Mohsen Pahlevanzadeh
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 17, 2013
      Dear all,
      Hi,

      When you install postfix in debian or each distro, you prevent a dialog
      that asked you "General type of mail configuration:",You'll see a menu
      such as the following contents:
      ////////////////////////////
      1. No configuration
      2. internet site
      3. internet with smarthost
      4. sattelite system
      5. local only
      ///////////////////////////

      Now When you answer this dialog,be sure postfix initializes a set of
      variable or a variable.i need to name of it or name of them.

      You made me happy ...

      --mohsen
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 17, 2013
        On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 03:29:35AM +0330, Mohsen Pahlevanzadeh wrote:

        > You made me happy ...

        http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html

        If you're using Debian, they modify Postfix with additional
        configuration parameteter, in particular if I recall correctly
        "myhostname" can be set to a filename rather than a hostname.

        myhostname = /etc/hostname

        and optional database drivers are installed as separate packages
        and a related configuration file.

        For help with Debian, ask on a Debian-specific list.

      • Mohsen Pahlevanzadeh
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 17, 2013
          I uses debian, but i compiled postfix and i just want to know name of
          them.
          --mohsen

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 18, 2013
            Mohsen Pahlevanzadeh:
            > I uses debian, but i compiled postfix and i just want to know name of
            > them.

            http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html
            http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html

            Wietse
          • Robert Lopez
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 18, 2013
              Viktor Duknovni wrote "
              If you're using Debian, they modify Postfix with additional
              configuration parameteter, in particular if I recall correctly
              "myhostname" can be set to a filename rather than a hostname.

                      myhostname = /etc/hostname

              and optional database drivers are installed as separate packages
              and a related configuration file.

              For help with Debian, ask on a Debian-specific list.
              "

              I suppose I should have known this years ago. I did not know Debian modified the Postfix code and even added database drivers. Does Canonical then further modify it?  I have never been successful in compiling and configuring a working Postfix from source on Ubuntu.   I am curious which distribution delivers code that is the least modified?

              On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 6:13 PM, Viktor Dukhovni <postfix-users@...> wrote:
              On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 03:29:35AM +0330, Mohsen Pahlevanzadeh wrote:

              > You made me happy ...

                      http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html

              If you're using Debian, they modify Postfix with additional
              configuration parameteter, in particular if I recall correctly
              "myhostname" can be set to a filename rather than a hostname.

                      myhostname = /etc/hostname

              and optional database drivers are installed as separate packages
              and a related configuration file.

              For help with Debian, ask on a Debian-specific list.

              Robert Lopez
              Unix Systems Administrator
              Central New Mexico Community College (CNM)
              525 Buena Vista SE
              Albuquerque, New Mexico 87106
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 18, 2013
                On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 01:23:10PM -0600, Robert Lopez wrote:

                > I suppose I should have known this years ago. I did not know Debian
                > modified the Postfix code and even added database drivers. Does Canonical
                > then further modify it? I have never been successful in compiling and
                > configuring a working Postfix from source on Ubuntu. I am curious which
                > distribution delivers code that is the least modified?

                A distribution that does not ship Postfix. :-)

                You could try FreeBSD or NetBSD for a Postfix that is unlikely to
                be modified much if at all.

                The Debian (and thus downstream Ubuntu) changes are the most
                extensive for Linux. Apple also extensively modifies Postfix.