Re: a few questions:new to postfix

  • Ansgar Wiechers
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 15 1:56 AM
      Please keep this on-list. I'm not doing personal support for free.

      On 2013-03-14 Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
      > On 3/14/2013 2:51 AM, Ansgar Wiechers wrote:
      >>On 2013-03-13 Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
      >>> I'd also like to be able to use procmail on these.
      >>
      >> Procmail is designed for local delivery. It looks like you can
      >> (ab)use it for virtual delivery as well [2], but I wouldn't recommend
      >> it.
      >>
      >> Please describe the problem you're trying to solve instead of what
      >> you perceive as the solution. What do you want procmail (or more
      >> generally your mail delivery agent) to do?
      >
      > Right now, Procmail for me just filters out messages like I want. For
      > example spam goes to the spam folder. I was trying to achieve the same
      > result for virtual users.

      If everyone will read mail locally on the server, Procmail will do. If
      you're setting up an IMAP server I'd recommend using dovecot and do the
      filtering with Sieve.

      [...]
      >>> Finally, I'm looking for some way to handle recycling mail. I
      >>> personally know to clean up my own mail folder by deleting stuff (we
      >>> use Imap), but the support system or my girlfriend probably wouldn't
      >>> clean up those messages.
      >>
      >> In one word: don't. Do NOT tamper with other people's personal
      >> mailboxes. Ever. Set up mailbox quota if you want to restrict the
      >> amount of mail your users can keep.
      >
      > I understand this, but that forces them to delete. There's no harm in
      > say, deleting items from the "trash" folder after it's 30 days old or
      > something.

      That is NOT your decision to make. I repeat: do NOT tamper with other
      users' private mailboxes. You could get into a heap of legal trouble
      othrwise.

      Regards
      Ansgar Wiechers
      --Joel Spolsky
    • Littlefield, Tyler
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 18 12:05 PM
        On 3/14/2013 2:51 AM, Ansgar Wiechers wrote:
        > On 2013-03-13 Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
        >> first, I have my postfix setup to receive mail and drop it in the
        >> user's ~/mail directory.
        >> I'm trying to figure out if there's a way I can have both "virtual"
        >> users and non virtual users.
        > You can alias localparts of virtual domains or virtual mailbox domains
        > to local mailboxes via $virtual_alias_maps. See the [1] for more
        > details.
        >
        >> I'd also like to be able to use procmail on these.
        > Procmail is designed for local delivery. It looks like you can (ab)use
        > it for virtual delivery as well [2], but I wouldn't recommend it.
        >
        > Please describe the problem you're trying to solve instead of what you
        > perceive as the solution. What do you want procmail (or more generally
        > your mail delivery agent) to do?

        thanks for the response. My goal its to allow for setting up rules; for example, spamassassin will flag spam messages with a [spam]. I currently use procmail from my account to dump those in the spam folder. I need a way to set up these rules (as well as allow for people to use other rules).

        >> Is there a way (short of just creating empty users) that I could do
        >> this and still retain email per user?
        > What do you mean by "short of creating empty users"? You can create any
        > number of mailboxes and/or aliases. You can have any number of aliases
        > pointing to a mailbox. You cannot have a mailbox without a mailbox.
        >
        >> Finally, I'm looking for some way to handle recycling mail. I
        >> personally know to clean up my own mail folder by deleting stuff (we
        >> use Imap), but the support system or my girlfriend probably wouldn't
        >> clean up those messages.
        > In one word: don't. Do NOT tamper with other people's personal
        > mailboxes. Ever. Set up mailbox quota if you want to restrict the amount
        > of mail your users can keep.

        I understand this; I didn't want to delete from the inbox but maybe delete trash after 30 days. The quota is a good idea, but it still requires they manually delete mail. Is there a solution to help me from having to do this?

        [1] http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html
        [2] http://standish.home3.org/virtual-procmail

        Regards
        Ansgar Wiechers