Re: LDA understanding

  • Tom Hendrikx
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 15, 2013
      On 03/14/2013 05:07 PM, Kris Deugau wrote:
      > Jerry wrote:
      >> Personally, I have no idea why anyone uses "procmail". For relatively
      >> fine grain sorting of mail upon delivery, I use Dovecot and Sieve. From
      >> what I can ascertain, procmail hasn't even been maintained in over a
      >> decade.
      >
      > Sieve can't call outside programs (eg SpamAssassin) by design. IMO the
      > inability to call any external filtering programs (even from a
      > restricted whitelist) makes overall mail filtering significantly harder.
      >
      > -kgd

      To complete this discussion, recent sieve standards/proposals have
      support for a generic interface to external spam and virus filters such
      as spamassassin, called at sieve runtime (i.e. not decisions based on
      earlier added headers), see [1].

      Pigeonhole sieve for Dovecot [2] supports this. pigoenhole also has
      experimental support calling arbitrary external programs in an
      administrator-controlled way [3], which I use with great success to add
      spamtrap messages to a database.

      I hope this might convince people to try sieve once more as a
      replacement for procmail ;)

      [1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5235
      [2] http://pigeonhole.dovecot.org/
      [3] http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Plugins/Extprograms

      --
      Regards,
      Tom
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 15, 2013
        [--------- Thu 14.Mar'13 at 12:07:14 -0400 Kris Deugau :---------]

        > Jerry wrote:
        > > Personally, I have no idea why anyone uses "procmail". For relatively
        > > fine grain sorting of mail upon delivery, I use Dovecot and Sieve. From
        > > what I can ascertain, procmail hasn't even been maintained in over a
        > > decade.
        >
        > Sieve can't call outside programs (eg SpamAssassin) by design. IMO the
        > inability to call any external filtering programs (even from a
        > restricted whitelist) makes overall mail filtering significantly harder.
        >
        > -kgd

        Personally, I still use procmail and use it to pipe mail through
        spamassassin, and also use it in conjuction with Dovecot LDA:

        At the the top the procmailrc define the $DELIVER variable to
        /usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver .

        Then a simple rule:

        :0
        * ^List-Id:.*some.list.id
        | $DELIVER -m mailbox

        The -m switch automatically create non-existing Maildir++ mailboxes
        should the not already be present. I Think it needs to be enabled in one
        of the configuration files for Dovecot.

        It works nicely, but then i'm sure the Dovecot sieve implementations
        work well too; i've not tried them yet.

        Cheers, Jamie.

        James Griffin: jmz at kontrol.kode5.net
        jmzgriffin at gmail.com

        A4B9 E875 A18C 6E11 F46D B788 BEE6 1251 1D31 DC38
      • Jerry
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 15, 2013
          On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 11:27:59 +0000
          James Griffin articulated:

          > [--------- Thu 14.Mar'13 at 12:07:14 -0400 Kris Deugau :---------]
          >
          > > Jerry wrote:
          > > > Personally, I have no idea why anyone uses "procmail". For
          > > > relatively fine grain sorting of mail upon delivery, I use
          > > > Dovecot and Sieve. From what I can ascertain, procmail hasn't
          > > > even been maintained in over a decade.
          > >
          > > Sieve can't call outside programs (eg SpamAssassin) by design. IMO
          > > the inability to call any external filtering programs (even from a
          > > restricted whitelist) makes overall mail filtering significantly
          > > harder.
          > >
          > > -kgd
          >
          > Personally, I still use procmail and use it to pipe mail through
          > spamassassin, and also use it in conjuction with Dovecot LDA:
          >
          > At the the top the procmailrc define the $DELIVER variable to
          > /usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver .
          >
          > Then a simple rule:
          >
          > :0
          > * ^List-Id:.*some.list.id
          > | $DELIVER -m mailbox
          >
          > The -m switch automatically create non-existing Maildir++ mailboxes
          > should the not already be present. I Think it needs to be enabled in
          > one of the configuration files for Dovecot.
          >
          > It works nicely, but then i'm sure the Dovecot sieve implementations
          > work well too; i've not tried them yet.

          Sieve will happily create any non-existing mailboxes. Sieve is far more
          robust than Procmail; however, you do have to do a bit of reading to
          fully grasp what it can do.

          --
          Jerry ✌
          postfix-user@...