Re: LDA understanding

  • Reindl Harald
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 14, 2013
      Am 14.03.2013 21:31, schrieb Kris Deugau:
      > Reindl Harald wrote:
      >> usually sieve comes AFTER SpamAssassin because it is a broken
      >> setup using a POST queue filter because it results in become
      >> a backscatter and you are usually not permitted by law
      >> accept a message with "250 OK" and drop it silent
      >
      > Laws vary by region. So far as my personal mail handling goes, I also
      > want to divert eg mailing lists like this one to a mail folder *before*
      > calling an expensive content filter on a message that isn't spam

      forget the law

      if you would be my mailadmin and kill messages with SpamAssassin
      without reject them properly so a sane sender would get a bounce
      from it's own mailserver i would kill you
    • Tom Hendrikx
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 15, 2013
        On 03/14/2013 05:07 PM, Kris Deugau wrote:
        > Jerry wrote:
        >> Personally, I have no idea why anyone uses "procmail". For relatively
        >> fine grain sorting of mail upon delivery, I use Dovecot and Sieve. From
        >> what I can ascertain, procmail hasn't even been maintained in over a
        >> decade.
        >
        > Sieve can't call outside programs (eg SpamAssassin) by design. IMO the
        > inability to call any external filtering programs (even from a
        > restricted whitelist) makes overall mail filtering significantly harder.
        >
        > -kgd

        To complete this discussion, recent sieve standards/proposals have
        support for a generic interface to external spam and virus filters such
        as spamassassin, called at sieve runtime (i.e. not decisions based on
        earlier added headers), see [1].

        Pigeonhole sieve for Dovecot [2] supports this. pigoenhole also has
        experimental support calling arbitrary external programs in an
        administrator-controlled way [3], which I use with great success to add
        spamtrap messages to a database.

        I hope this might convince people to try sieve once more as a
        replacement for procmail ;)

        [1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5235
        [2] http://pigeonhole.dovecot.org/
        [3] http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Plugins/Extprograms

        --
        Regards,
        Tom
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 15, 2013
          [--------- Thu 14.Mar'13 at 12:07:14 -0400 Kris Deugau :---------]

          > Jerry wrote:
          > > Personally, I have no idea why anyone uses "procmail". For relatively
          > > fine grain sorting of mail upon delivery, I use Dovecot and Sieve. From
          > > what I can ascertain, procmail hasn't even been maintained in over a
          > > decade.
          >
          > Sieve can't call outside programs (eg SpamAssassin) by design. IMO the
          > inability to call any external filtering programs (even from a
          > restricted whitelist) makes overall mail filtering significantly harder.
          >
          > -kgd

          Personally, I still use procmail and use it to pipe mail through
          spamassassin, and also use it in conjuction with Dovecot LDA:

          At the the top the procmailrc define the $DELIVER variable to
          /usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver .

          Then a simple rule:

          :0
          * ^List-Id:.*some.list.id
          | $DELIVER -m mailbox

          The -m switch automatically create non-existing Maildir++ mailboxes
          should the not already be present. I Think it needs to be enabled in one
          of the configuration files for Dovecot.

          It works nicely, but then i'm sure the Dovecot sieve implementations
          work well too; i've not tried them yet.

          Cheers, Jamie.

          James Griffin: jmz at kontrol.kode5.net
          jmzgriffin at gmail.com

          A4B9 E875 A18C 6E11 F46D B788 BEE6 1251 1D31 DC38
        • Jerry
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 15, 2013
            On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 11:27:59 +0000
            James Griffin articulated:

            > [--------- Thu 14.Mar'13 at 12:07:14 -0400 Kris Deugau :---------]
            >
            > > Jerry wrote:
            > > > Personally, I have no idea why anyone uses "procmail". For
            > > > relatively fine grain sorting of mail upon delivery, I use
            > > > Dovecot and Sieve. From what I can ascertain, procmail hasn't
            > > > even been maintained in over a decade.
            > >
            > > Sieve can't call outside programs (eg SpamAssassin) by design. IMO
            > > the inability to call any external filtering programs (even from a
            > > restricted whitelist) makes overall mail filtering significantly
            > > harder.
            > >
            > > -kgd
            >
            > Personally, I still use procmail and use it to pipe mail through
            > spamassassin, and also use it in conjuction with Dovecot LDA:
            >
            > At the the top the procmailrc define the $DELIVER variable to
            > /usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver .
            >
            > Then a simple rule:
            >
            > :0
            > * ^List-Id:.*some.list.id
            > | $DELIVER -m mailbox
            >
            > The -m switch automatically create non-existing Maildir++ mailboxes
            > should the not already be present. I Think it needs to be enabled in
            > one of the configuration files for Dovecot.
            >
            > It works nicely, but then i'm sure the Dovecot sieve implementations
            > work well too; i've not tried them yet.

            Sieve will happily create any non-existing mailboxes. Sieve is far more
            robust than Procmail; however, you do have to do a bit of reading to
            fully grasp what it can do.

            --
            Jerry ✌
            postfix-user@...