Re: LDA understanding

  • Muhammad Yousuf Khan
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 14, 2013
      Thanks guys, i am using dovecot but i didn't knew in technical term we
      call it LDA :P. but i thought procmail delivers emails to the
      user-folder only, which i misunderstood , if dovecot, procmail and
      courier are LDAs as i perceive from you emails. so no problem in
      understanding the functionality of procmail as i am already using
      dovecot.

      Thanks,

      On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 3:15 PM, Jerry <postfix-user@...> wrote:
      > On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 14:44:26 +0500
      > Muhammad Yousuf Khan articulated:
      >
      >> i was just trying to understand LDA my understanding with postfix is
      >> that postfix is an MTA and procmail is an LDA to deliver email however
      >> i am using postfix alone and it is working great. it work with both
      >> system user and virtual users with no issue. it receive email and drop
      >> it to virtual user directory or system user directory.
      >> so my question if postfix delivering the message to all the users then
      >> what is the need of procmail/LDA?
      >
      > Personally, I have no idea why anyone uses "procmail". For relatively
      > fine grain sorting of mail upon delivery, I use Dovecot and Sieve. From
      > what I can ascertain, procmail hasn't even been maintained in over a
      > decade.
      >
      > Just my 2¢ on the matter.
      >
      > --
      > Jerry ✌
      > postfix-user@...
      > TO REPORT A PROBLEM see http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
      > TO (UN)SUBSCRIBE see http://www.postfix.org/lists.html

    • Andreas K.
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 14, 2013
        Στις , Jerry έγραψε:
        > On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 14:44:26 +0500
        > Muhammad Yousuf Khan articulated:
        >
        >> i was just trying to understand LDA my understanding with postfix is
        >> that postfix is an MTA and procmail is an LDA to deliver email
        >> however
        >> i am using postfix alone and it is working great. it work with both
        >> system user and virtual users with no issue. it receive email and
        >> drop
        >> it to virtual user directory or system user directory.
        >> so my question if postfix delivering the message to all the users
        >> then
        >> what is the need of procmail/LDA?
        >
        > Personally, I have no idea why anyone uses "procmail". For relatively
        > fine grain sorting of mail upon delivery, I use Dovecot and Sieve.
        > From
        > what I can ascertain, procmail hasn't even been maintained in over a
        > decade.
        >
        > Just my 2¢ on the matter.

        We have been using procmail on a relatively small set up (around 2000
        users)
        for about a decade. Rock solid has never refused to do anything I
        wanted and I
        can asuure you I have never used more than 5-10% of its abilities. I
        have been looking
        on Dovecot LDA recently just because of the Sieve language and its
        integration
        with many front ends (webmail apps etc).

        Andreas
      • Larry Stone
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 14, 2013
          On Thu, 14 Mar 2013, Jerry wrote:

          > Personally, I have no idea why anyone uses "procmail". For relatively
          > fine grain sorting of mail upon delivery, I use Dovecot and Sieve. From
          > what I can ascertain, procmail hasn't even been maintained in over a
          > decade.

          I realize this gets away from Postfix per se but since LDAs are one of the
          things Postfix has to work with, it's marginally on-topic.

          I've used Procmail for years. That it hasn't been updated is irrelevant
          because it just works. Software does not always have to be new to be the
          right tool.

          On the other hand, I've only recently delved into Dovecot and then only as
          an IMAP/POP server. I had been using UW-IMAP, another software package
          that has not been updated in years but one that unfortunately does not
          "just work" for all cases (there is some issue between it and iOS Mail).
          IMHO, Dovecot suffers from being too much and it wasn't until I understood
          that there are three (maybe more?) distinct parts of Dovecot that operate
          somewhat independently (IMAP/POP, LDA, and authentication) that I went
          ahead implemented just the IMAP/POP piece dropping it in place of UW-IMAP
          with no conversion or client reconfiguration (other than SquirrelMail)
          required.

          -- Larry Stone
          lstone19@...
        • Kris Deugau
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 14, 2013
            Jerry wrote:
            > Personally, I have no idea why anyone uses "procmail". For relatively
            > fine grain sorting of mail upon delivery, I use Dovecot and Sieve. From
            > what I can ascertain, procmail hasn't even been maintained in over a
            > decade.

            Sieve can't call outside programs (eg SpamAssassin) by design. IMO the
            inability to call any external filtering programs (even from a
            restricted whitelist) makes overall mail filtering significantly harder.

            -kgd
          • Reindl Harald
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 14, 2013
              Am 14.03.2013 17:07, schrieb Kris Deugau:
              > Jerry wrote:
              >> Personally, I have no idea why anyone uses "procmail". For relatively
              >> fine grain sorting of mail upon delivery, I use Dovecot and Sieve. From
              >> what I can ascertain, procmail hasn't even been maintained in over a
              >> decade.
              >
              > Sieve can't call outside programs (eg SpamAssassin) by design. IMO the
              > inability to call any external filtering programs (even from a
              > restricted whitelist) makes overall mail filtering significantly harder

              usually sieve comes AFTER SpamAssassin because it is a broken
              setup using a pre queue filter because it results in become
              a backscatter and you are usually not permitted by law
              accept a message with "250 OK" and drop it silent
            • Ansgar Wiechers
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 14, 2013
                On 2013-03-14 Reindl Harald wrote:
                > Am 14.03.2013 17:07, schrieb Kris Deugau:
                >> Jerry wrote:
                >>> Personally, I have no idea why anyone uses "procmail". For
                >>> relatively fine grain sorting of mail upon delivery, I use Dovecot
                >>> and Sieve. From what I can ascertain, procmail hasn't even been
                >>> maintained in over a decade.
                >>
                >> Sieve can't call outside programs (eg SpamAssassin) by design. IMO
                >> the inability to call any external filtering programs (even from a
                >> restricted whitelist) makes overall mail filtering significantly
                >> harder
                >
                > usually sieve comes AFTER SpamAssassin because it is a broken setup
                > using a pre queue filter because it results in become a backscatter
                > and you are usually not permitted by law accept a message with "250
                > OK" and drop it silent

                That would be a post-queue filter. A pre-queue filter rejects, so you
                don't become a backscatter source.

                Regards
                Ansgar Wiechers
                --Joel Spolsky
              • Reindl Harald
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 14, 2013
                  Am 14.03.2013 21:04, schrieb Ansgar Wiechers:
                  > On 2013-03-14 Reindl Harald wrote:
                  >>>
                  >>> Sieve can't call outside programs (eg SpamAssassin) by design. IMO
                  >>> the inability to call any external filtering programs (even from a
                  >>> restricted whitelist) makes overall mail filtering significantly
                  >>> harder
                  >>
                  >> usually sieve comes AFTER SpamAssassin because it is a broken setup
                  >> using a pre queue filter because it results in become a backscatter
                  >> and you are usually not permitted by law accept a message with "250
                  >> OK" and drop it silent
                  >
                  > That would be a post-queue filter. A pre-queue filter rejects, so you
                  > don't become a backscatter source

                  sorry, yes, i reverted the terminology

                  however, in the order of Sieve it would be way too late to
                  call SpamAssassin because you CAN NOT reject at this time
                  and spam has to be REJETED long before LDA / Sieve
                • Kris Deugau
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 14, 2013
                    Reindl Harald wrote:
                    > Am 14.03.2013 17:07, schrieb Kris Deugau:
                    >> Sieve can't call outside programs (eg SpamAssassin) by design. IMO the
                    >> inability to call any external filtering programs (even from a
                    >> restricted whitelist) makes overall mail filtering significantly harder

                    By "harder" I mean that you end up going to a great deal of trouble to
                    properly deal with a message that user A really, really wants in their
                    Inbox, and which user B never ever EVER wants to see at all.

                    > usually sieve comes AFTER SpamAssassin because it is a broken
                    > setup using a pre queue filter because it results in become
                    > a backscatter and you are usually not permitted by law
                    > accept a message with "250 OK" and drop it silent

                    Laws vary by region. So far as my personal mail handling goes, I also
                    want to divert eg mailing lists like this one to a mail folder *before*
                    calling an expensive content filter on a message that isn't spam.

                    Wearing my ISP mail admin hat, we don't use procmail, but the mail flow
                    would be entirely compatible; there are several stages of filtering and
                    each one can short-circuit the process and deliver the message (either
                    to the Inbox or the Spam folder), instead of having to run *everything*
                    through an expensive SpamAssassin scan.

                    -kgd
                  • Reindl Harald
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 14, 2013
                      Am 14.03.2013 21:31, schrieb Kris Deugau:
                      > Reindl Harald wrote:
                      >> usually sieve comes AFTER SpamAssassin because it is a broken
                      >> setup using a POST queue filter because it results in become
                      >> a backscatter and you are usually not permitted by law
                      >> accept a message with "250 OK" and drop it silent
                      >
                      > Laws vary by region. So far as my personal mail handling goes, I also
                      > want to divert eg mailing lists like this one to a mail folder *before*
                      > calling an expensive content filter on a message that isn't spam

                      forget the law

                      if you would be my mailadmin and kill messages with SpamAssassin
                      without reject them properly so a sane sender would get a bounce
                      from it's own mailserver i would kill you
                    • Tom Hendrikx
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 15, 2013
                        On 03/14/2013 05:07 PM, Kris Deugau wrote:
                        > Jerry wrote:
                        >> Personally, I have no idea why anyone uses "procmail". For relatively
                        >> fine grain sorting of mail upon delivery, I use Dovecot and Sieve. From
                        >> what I can ascertain, procmail hasn't even been maintained in over a
                        >> decade.
                        >
                        > Sieve can't call outside programs (eg SpamAssassin) by design. IMO the
                        > inability to call any external filtering programs (even from a
                        > restricted whitelist) makes overall mail filtering significantly harder.
                        >
                        > -kgd

                        To complete this discussion, recent sieve standards/proposals have
                        support for a generic interface to external spam and virus filters such
                        as spamassassin, called at sieve runtime (i.e. not decisions based on
                        earlier added headers), see [1].

                        Pigeonhole sieve for Dovecot [2] supports this. pigoenhole also has
                        experimental support calling arbitrary external programs in an
                        administrator-controlled way [3], which I use with great success to add
                        spamtrap messages to a database.

                        I hope this might convince people to try sieve once more as a
                        replacement for procmail ;)

                        [1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5235
                        [2] http://pigeonhole.dovecot.org/
                        [3] http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Plugins/Extprograms

                        --
                        Regards,
                        Tom
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 15, 2013
                          [--------- Thu 14.Mar'13 at 12:07:14 -0400 Kris Deugau :---------]

                          > Jerry wrote:
                          > > Personally, I have no idea why anyone uses "procmail". For relatively
                          > > fine grain sorting of mail upon delivery, I use Dovecot and Sieve. From
                          > > what I can ascertain, procmail hasn't even been maintained in over a
                          > > decade.
                          >
                          > Sieve can't call outside programs (eg SpamAssassin) by design. IMO the
                          > inability to call any external filtering programs (even from a
                          > restricted whitelist) makes overall mail filtering significantly harder.
                          >
                          > -kgd

                          Personally, I still use procmail and use it to pipe mail through
                          spamassassin, and also use it in conjuction with Dovecot LDA:

                          At the the top the procmailrc define the $DELIVER variable to
                          /usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver .

                          Then a simple rule:

                          :0
                          * ^List-Id:.*some.list.id
                          | $DELIVER -m mailbox

                          The -m switch automatically create non-existing Maildir++ mailboxes
                          should the not already be present. I Think it needs to be enabled in one
                          of the configuration files for Dovecot.

                          It works nicely, but then i'm sure the Dovecot sieve implementations
                          work well too; i've not tried them yet.

                          Cheers, Jamie.

                          James Griffin: jmz at kontrol.kode5.net
                          jmzgriffin at gmail.com

                          A4B9 E875 A18C 6E11 F46D B788 BEE6 1251 1D31 DC38
                        • Jerry
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 15, 2013
                            On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 11:27:59 +0000
                            James Griffin articulated:

                            > [--------- Thu 14.Mar'13 at 12:07:14 -0400 Kris Deugau :---------]
                            >
                            > > Jerry wrote:
                            > > > Personally, I have no idea why anyone uses "procmail". For
                            > > > relatively fine grain sorting of mail upon delivery, I use
                            > > > Dovecot and Sieve. From what I can ascertain, procmail hasn't
                            > > > even been maintained in over a decade.
                            > >
                            > > Sieve can't call outside programs (eg SpamAssassin) by design. IMO
                            > > the inability to call any external filtering programs (even from a
                            > > restricted whitelist) makes overall mail filtering significantly
                            > > harder.
                            > >
                            > > -kgd
                            >
                            > Personally, I still use procmail and use it to pipe mail through
                            > spamassassin, and also use it in conjuction with Dovecot LDA:
                            >
                            > At the the top the procmailrc define the $DELIVER variable to
                            > /usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver .
                            >
                            > Then a simple rule:
                            >
                            > :0
                            > * ^List-Id:.*some.list.id
                            > | $DELIVER -m mailbox
                            >
                            > The -m switch automatically create non-existing Maildir++ mailboxes
                            > should the not already be present. I Think it needs to be enabled in
                            > one of the configuration files for Dovecot.
                            >
                            > It works nicely, but then i'm sure the Dovecot sieve implementations
                            > work well too; i've not tried them yet.

                            Sieve will happily create any non-existing mailboxes. Sieve is far more
                            robust than Procmail; however, you do have to do a bit of reading to
                            fully grasp what it can do.

                            --
                            Jerry ✌
                            postfix-user@...