a few questions:new to postfix

  • Littlefield, Tyler
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 13, 2013
      hello all:
      I have a couple questions.
      first, I have my postfix setup to receive mail and drop it in the user's
      ~/mail directory.
      I'm trying to figure out if there's a way I can have both "virtual"
      users and non virtual users.
      For example, I'd like to set up a support address to handle tech support
      issues for projects, and my girlfriend has been bugging me for an email
      address for quite a while.
      I'd also like to be able to use procmail on these.
      Is there a way (short of just creating empty users) that I could do this
      and still retain email per user?
      Finally, I'm looking for some way to handle recycling mail. I personally
      know to clean up my own mail folder by deleting stuff (we use Imap), but
      the support system or my girlfriend probably wouldn't clean up those
      messages.
      Thanks,

      --
      Take care,
      Ty
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 14, 2013
        On 2013-03-13 Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
        > first, I have my postfix setup to receive mail and drop it in the
        > user's ~/mail directory.
        > I'm trying to figure out if there's a way I can have both "virtual"
        > users and non virtual users.

        You can alias localparts of virtual domains or virtual mailbox domains
        to local mailboxes via $virtual_alias_maps. See the [1] for more
        details.

        > I'd also like to be able to use procmail on these.

        Procmail is designed for local delivery. It looks like you can (ab)use
        it for virtual delivery as well [2], but I wouldn't recommend it.

        Please describe the problem you're trying to solve instead of what you
        perceive as the solution. What do you want procmail (or more generally
        your mail delivery agent) to do?

        > Is there a way (short of just creating empty users) that I could do
        > this and still retain email per user?

        What do you mean by "short of creating empty users"? You can create any
        number of mailboxes and/or aliases. You can have any number of aliases
        pointing to a mailbox. You cannot have a mailbox without a mailbox.

        > Finally, I'm looking for some way to handle recycling mail. I
        > personally know to clean up my own mail folder by deleting stuff (we
        > use Imap), but the support system or my girlfriend probably wouldn't
        > clean up those messages.

        In one word: don't. Do NOT tamper with other people's personal
        mailboxes. Ever. Set up mailbox quota if you want to restrict the amount
        of mail your users can keep.

        [1] http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html
        [2] http://standish.home3.org/virtual-procmail

        Regards
        Ansgar Wiechers
        --Joel Spolsky
      • Ansgar Wiechers
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 15, 2013
          Please keep this on-list. I'm not doing personal support for free.

          On 2013-03-14 Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
          > On 3/14/2013 2:51 AM, Ansgar Wiechers wrote:
          >>On 2013-03-13 Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
          >>> I'd also like to be able to use procmail on these.
          >>
          >> Procmail is designed for local delivery. It looks like you can
          >> (ab)use it for virtual delivery as well [2], but I wouldn't recommend
          >> it.
          >>
          >> Please describe the problem you're trying to solve instead of what
          >> you perceive as the solution. What do you want procmail (or more
          >> generally your mail delivery agent) to do?
          >
          > Right now, Procmail for me just filters out messages like I want. For
          > example spam goes to the spam folder. I was trying to achieve the same
          > result for virtual users.

          If everyone will read mail locally on the server, Procmail will do. If
          you're setting up an IMAP server I'd recommend using dovecot and do the
          filtering with Sieve.

          [...]
          >>> Finally, I'm looking for some way to handle recycling mail. I
          >>> personally know to clean up my own mail folder by deleting stuff (we
          >>> use Imap), but the support system or my girlfriend probably wouldn't
          >>> clean up those messages.
          >>
          >> In one word: don't. Do NOT tamper with other people's personal
          >> mailboxes. Ever. Set up mailbox quota if you want to restrict the
          >> amount of mail your users can keep.
          >
          > I understand this, but that forces them to delete. There's no harm in
          > say, deleting items from the "trash" folder after it's 30 days old or
          > something.

          That is NOT your decision to make. I repeat: do NOT tamper with other
          users' private mailboxes. You could get into a heap of legal trouble
          othrwise.

          Regards
          Ansgar Wiechers
          --Joel Spolsky
        • Littlefield, Tyler
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 18, 2013
            On 3/14/2013 2:51 AM, Ansgar Wiechers wrote:
            > On 2013-03-13 Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
            >> first, I have my postfix setup to receive mail and drop it in the
            >> user's ~/mail directory.
            >> I'm trying to figure out if there's a way I can have both "virtual"
            >> users and non virtual users.
            > You can alias localparts of virtual domains or virtual mailbox domains
            > to local mailboxes via $virtual_alias_maps. See the [1] for more
            > details.
            >
            >> I'd also like to be able to use procmail on these.
            > Procmail is designed for local delivery. It looks like you can (ab)use
            > it for virtual delivery as well [2], but I wouldn't recommend it.
            >
            > Please describe the problem you're trying to solve instead of what you
            > perceive as the solution. What do you want procmail (or more generally
            > your mail delivery agent) to do?

            thanks for the response. My goal its to allow for setting up rules; for example, spamassassin will flag spam messages with a [spam]. I currently use procmail from my account to dump those in the spam folder. I need a way to set up these rules (as well as allow for people to use other rules).

            >> Is there a way (short of just creating empty users) that I could do
            >> this and still retain email per user?
            > What do you mean by "short of creating empty users"? You can create any
            > number of mailboxes and/or aliases. You can have any number of aliases
            > pointing to a mailbox. You cannot have a mailbox without a mailbox.
            >
            >> Finally, I'm looking for some way to handle recycling mail. I
            >> personally know to clean up my own mail folder by deleting stuff (we
            >> use Imap), but the support system or my girlfriend probably wouldn't
            >> clean up those messages.
            > In one word: don't. Do NOT tamper with other people's personal
            > mailboxes. Ever. Set up mailbox quota if you want to restrict the amount
            > of mail your users can keep.

            I understand this; I didn't want to delete from the inbox but maybe delete trash after 30 days. The quota is a good idea, but it still requires they manually delete mail. Is there a solution to help me from having to do this?