Re: your mail

  • baptiste jamin
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8 1:16 PM
      We have a non common mail system:

      All mails are normaly sent to a local service. This home made service manage our different adresses.

      In fact the "local_recipient_maps =" directive allow every recipient.

      pmcogze@... and 3mstfkc3xytrd0pc3xaywkwro@... are virtual adresses, managed by our  home made.

      What I don't understand is that messages from  "pmcogze@..." are transfered to our home made service, but not 3mstfkc3xytrd0pc3xaywkwro@... message.

      Theses 2 adresses doesn't locally exist.

      2013/3/8 Wietse Venema <wietse@...>
      baptiste jamin:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I'm a french administrator.
      >
      > Since 3 days, i've some "unknown user" errors.
      >
      > I use the directive "local_recipient_maps =" in my main.cf

      As documented in http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#local_recipient_maps

             If  this  parameter  is  non-empty (the default), then the Postfix SMTP
             server will reject mail for unknown local users.

      You set this parameter to an empty value (which is a bad idea) and
      therefore the Postfix SMTP will not reject mail for unknown local
      users.

      This is a bad idea because Postfix will try to deliver mail for a
      non-existent address and then discover that this is not possible.

      > What i don't understand is that adress "pmcogze@..." works but
      > adress "3mstfkc3xytrd0pc3xaywkwro@..." sent me back an "unknown
      > user" error.

      And why does this result surprise you?

      What would YOU expect Postfix to do when it delivers mail to
      a non-existent address?

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 8 1:45 PM
        baptiste jamin:
        > We have a non common mail system:
        >
        > All mails are normaly sent to a local service. This home made service
        > manage our different adresses.
        >
        > In fact the "local_recipient_maps =" directive allow every recipient.

        This is incorrect.

        With "local_recipient_maps =", the Postfix SMTP server will accept
        all recipient addresses in a domain that matches MYDESTINATION.
        The local_recipient_maps setting has NO EFFECT on other address
        classes.

        > pmcogze@... and 3mstfkc3xytrd0pc3xaywkwro@... are
        > virtual adresses, managed by our home made.
        >
        > What I don't understand is that messages from "pmcogze@..." are
        > transfered to our home made service, but not
        > 3mstfkc3xytrd0pc3xaywkwro@... message.
        >
        > Theses 2 adresses doesn't locally exist.

        Postfix supports two types of virtual domain.

        1) As documented in http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html,
        virtual alias domains are defined with virtual_alias_domains,
        and their recipients are defined with with virtual_alias_maps.

        2) As documented in http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html,
        virtual mailbox domains are defined with virtual_mailbox_domains,
        and their recipients are defined with with virtual_uid_maps
        and virtual_gid_maps.

        If the Postfix SMTP server accepts mail for a non-existent
        virtual address, then you have an error in virtual_alias_maps,
        or in virtual_uid_maps and virtual_gid_maps.