  • baptiste jamin
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8 12:34 PM
      Hello,

      I'm a french administrator.

      Since 3 days, i've some "unknown user" errors.

      I use the directive "local_recipient_maps =" in my main.cf

      What i don't understand is that adress "pmcogze@..." works but adress "3mstfkc3xytrd0pc3xaywkwro@..." sent me back an "unknown user" error.

      I wish that somone of you could help us.

      Thank you

      Here is my main.cf:

      # See /usr/share/postfix/main.cf.dist for a commented, more complete version

      smtpd_banner = Welcome at Randomail!
      biff = no

      # appending .domain is the MUA's job.
      append_dot_mydomain = no

      # Uncomment the next line to generate "delayed mail" warnings
      delay_warning_time = 4h

      myhostname = randomail.net
      alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
      alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
      myorigin = /etc/mailname
      mydestination = randomail.net
      relayhost =
      mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
      mailbox_size_limit = 0
      recipient_delimiter = +
      inet_interfaces = all
      smtpd_sasl_local_domain = randomail.net
      smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
      broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
      #smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
      smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination
      smtpd_tls_auth_only = no
      smtp_use_tls = no
      smtpd_use_tls =no
      smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes
      smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.key
      smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.crt
      smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/postfix/ssl/cacert.pem
      smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
      smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
      smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
      tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom

      local_recipient_maps =

      #milter_default_action = accept
      #milter_protocol = 2
      #smtpd_milters = inet:localhost:8891
      #non_smtpd_milters = inet:localhost:8891

      #header_checks = pcre:/etc/postfix/header_checks.pcre

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 8 12:43 PM
        baptiste jamin:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm a french administrator.
        >
        > Since 3 days, i've some "unknown user" errors.
        >
        > I use the directive "local_recipient_maps =" in my main.cf

        As documented in http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#local_recipient_maps

        If this parameter is non-empty (the default), then the Postfix SMTP
        server will reject mail for unknown local users.

        You set this parameter to an empty value (which is a bad idea) and
        therefore the Postfix SMTP will not reject mail for unknown local
        users.

        This is a bad idea because Postfix will try to deliver mail for a
        non-existent address and then discover that this is not possible.

        > What i don't understand is that adress "pmcogze@..." works but
        > adress "3mstfkc3xytrd0pc3xaywkwro@..." sent me back an "unknown
        > user" error.

        And why does this result surprise you?

        What would YOU expect Postfix to do when it delivers mail to
        a non-existent address?

        Wietse
      • baptiste jamin
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 8 1:16 PM
          We have a non common mail system:

          All mails are normaly sent to a local service. This home made service manage our different adresses.

          In fact the "local_recipient_maps =" directive allow every recipient.

          pmcogze@... and 3mstfkc3xytrd0pc3xaywkwro@... are virtual adresses, managed by our  home made.

          What I don't understand is that messages from  "pmcogze@..." are transfered to our home made service, but not 3mstfkc3xytrd0pc3xaywkwro@... message.

          Theses 2 adresses doesn't locally exist.

          baptiste jamin:

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 8 1:45 PM
            baptiste jamin:
            > We have a non common mail system:
            >
            > All mails are normaly sent to a local service. This home made service
            > manage our different adresses.
            >
            > In fact the "local_recipient_maps =" directive allow every recipient.

            This is incorrect.

            With "local_recipient_maps =", the Postfix SMTP server will accept
            all recipient addresses in a domain that matches MYDESTINATION.
            The local_recipient_maps setting has NO EFFECT on other address
            classes.

            > pmcogze@... and 3mstfkc3xytrd0pc3xaywkwro@... are
            > virtual adresses, managed by our home made.
            >
            > What I don't understand is that messages from "pmcogze@..." are
            > transfered to our home made service, but not
            > 3mstfkc3xytrd0pc3xaywkwro@... message.
            >
            > Theses 2 adresses doesn't locally exist.

            Postfix supports two types of virtual domain.

            1) As documented in http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html,
            virtual alias domains are defined with virtual_alias_domains,
            and their recipients are defined with with virtual_alias_maps.

            2) As documented in http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html,
            virtual mailbox domains are defined with virtual_mailbox_domains,
            and their recipients are defined with with virtual_uid_maps
            and virtual_gid_maps.

            If the Postfix SMTP server accepts mail for a non-existent
            virtual address, then you have an error in virtual_alias_maps,
            or in virtual_uid_maps and virtual_gid_maps.