Re: Does this IP have reverse DNS?

  • Bill Cole
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 4, 2013
      On 4 Mar 2013, at 14:22, Blake Hudson wrote:

      > Maybe I am complacent in my expectation that I can ask for an A record
      > and receive a CNAME in return, but what else would/could one expect -
      > isn't this the behavior of CNAMEs?

      No. A CNAME record provides the canonical name that should be used
      instead of the name originally queried. It applies to all record types,
      so in the event that a query returns a CNAME record without additional
      records with the canonical name as the label and the requested record
      type, the next step for the originator of the query is to make a query
      for the same record type using the canonical name as the label instead
      of the original name. If a CNAME record exists for a particular name, it
      is used as the answer to queries for any record type at that name other
      than NSEC and RRSIG.