Relay Host Based on "From" address

  • Dennis Putnam
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2 4:01 AM
      I am running some mailman mailing lists and due to issues with my ISP's
      SMTP server I need to use alternate mail relays. I need to configure
      postfix to use a relay, with authentication, based on the local
      originating address rather than the destination. Is this possible and
      can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
    • Reindl Harald
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2 4:15 AM
        Am 02.03.2013 13:01, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
        > I am running some mailman mailing lists and due to issues with my ISP's
        > SMTP server I need to use alternate mail relays. I need to configure
        > postfix to use a relay, with authentication, based on the local
        > originating address rather than the destination. Is this possible and
        > can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

        the "From"-header is not relevant for SMTP
        becasue headers have nothing to do with the
        SMTP "MAIL FROM" command

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounce_address
        ___________________________

        however, besides these basics a mailadmin should know
        http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#sender_dependent_relayhost_maps

        see example below

        please totice that i use here the submission port 587
        because if we speak about authentication we are acting
        more than a MUA and submission a) requires auth and b)
        has usually different restrictions because auth is given

        notice also that how you write realyhost/port has to be 100%
        identical in "sasl_passwd" and "relayhost_maps" and you
        can list as much user/password/host-combinations as needed
        ___________________________

        /etc/postfix/main,cf:
        smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
        smtp_sender_dependent_authentication = yes
        sender_dependent_relayhost_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relayhost_maps

        /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd:
        # AFTER CHANGES: postmap /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
        [relayhost]:587 username:password

        /etc/postfix/relayhost_maps:
        # AFTER CHANGES: postmap /etc/postfix/relayhost_maps
        sender@... [relayhost]:587
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2 5:05 AM
          Dennis Putnam:
          > I am running some mailman mailing lists and due to issues with my ISP's
          > SMTP server I need to use alternate mail relays. I need to configure
          > postfix to use a relay, with authentication, based on the local
          > originating address rather than the destination. Is this possible and
          > can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

          http://www.postfix.org/SOHO_README.html#client_sasl_sender

          This includes some features that you would not need. Just ignore them.

          Wietse
        • Dennis Putnam
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2 5:20 AM
            Exactly what I was looking for. I never would have thought used 'sasl
            sender' in a search engine. Thanks.