Re: Getmail

  • /dev/rob0
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2013
      On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 01:14:50PM +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
      > On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 3:17 AM, /dev/rob0 <rob0@...> wrote:
      > > On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 05:51:08PM +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan
      > > wrote:
      > >> i am using virtual users and domains, where i have 2 virtual
      > >> domains and few users in both. i would like getmail to fetch
      > >
      > > First, I'll note that this is mostly off topic. Postfix has
      > > little to do with this, only incidentally.
      > >
      > yes, i agree but i would be thankful for every peace of help. :)

      That was intended as a hint that you should seek getmail help in a
      place which is more appropriate. I'm not going to answer your
      questions which are specific to getmail; I only ever spent a small
      amount of time in setting it up myself. The documentation was quite
      adequate for me.

      > > You have weakened the security of your virtual system by
      > > providing this user a real shell and having it call out to the
      > > Internet. Thus why I say this should be done by a system user.
      > > If your virtual user is compromised, all your mail might be at
      > > stake. If a system user is compromised, only that user's mail
      > > (and other files) is at risk.
      >
      > i think security will not be an issue. since i haven't published
      > my postfix box and our internal users are not that smart :) they
      > just need their emails one way or another.

      1. Still, poor design, and internal users are not necessarily the
      only potential threat.

      2. Why is an internal-only mail system using virtual mailboxes?
      You're adding needless complexity while removing functionality which
      might have been useful, as noted upthread.

      3. Why is Postfix involved at all? All you really need is getmail and
      your local imapd. The MTA might be slightly useful for internal users
      sending mail to other internal users, but they can use their ISP mail
      for that as well, submitting directly to the ISP.