Re: Public free (libre) mailbox hosting service for everybody!

  • M. Fioretti
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
      MANDATORY DISCLAIMER:

      - I think this is at least partly on topic here because it's (also)
      about promoting postfix for "free-as-in-freedom", responsible email
      usage,

      - but personally, I don't need any of what follows. I already built
      nexaima.net to do it for me, and it's meant to stay that way, that
      is for me only

      On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 16:35:08 PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

      > Am 28.02.2013 16:30, schrieb אנטולי קרסנר:
      > > Persoanlly, I don't have time, knowledge or money (I'm a university
      > > student) to setup and maintain a mail server
      >
      > and the people who have the knowledge and money do not have the time
      > because maintain a RELIEABLE mailserver costs a lot of time,
      > especially if you try to open it for everybody because you can guess
      > how many idiots you get as users which only abuse your service with
      > spam and misuse

      Anatoly will speak for himself, but the proposal in _my_ own posts is
      quite different from what you outline here.

      What I proposed is a VPS package, just as the ones _already "sold" by
      many hosting providers, that unlike those packages is not a bare-bone
      linux distro, but is preconfigured with SMTP/Imap server etc... in
      order to:

      1) accept incoming email only for one domain and set of users
      2) relay email only for THAT domain and set of users

      The owner of every "package" would only be responsible for the abuses
      of his own users. The hosting provider may impose bandwidth limits in
      advance. And 1 and 2 would be configurable by web interface.
      Basically, this is exactly the SAME thing many hosting providers
      already offer, just packaged in a way that it is much, much easier to
      migrate the whole thing to another server, in any moment, without
      reconfiguring everything from scratch.

      As to "who would fund development of this bundle": I guess the same
      people who "fund" Centos, Debian, Postfix and lots of other software,
      in the same way, for the same reasons. If there's money to be made
      (more or less indirectly) in hosting VPS server for WWW applications,
      there is also, IMO, in doing the same thing for email.

      Marco
    • John Peach
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
        On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 12:00:58 -0500
        James Seymour <jseymour@...> wrote:

        > On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 18:51:15 +0200
        > אנטולי קרסנר <tombackton@...> wrote:
        >
        > > No, the mailing list is a legitimate way to connect with all postfix
        > > users ...
        >
        > The mailing list I thought was supposed to be about Postfix, or at
        > least vaguely Postfix-related, issues. By your logic: If I want to
        > interact with all Postfix users on the subject of motorcycle repair,
        > then it would be on-topic, because it's only Postfix users with whom I
        > wish to discuss motorcycle repair?

        +1
      • Robert Schetterer
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
          Am 28.02.2013 17:51, schrieb אנטולי קרסנר:
          > No, the mailing list is a legitimate way to connect with all postfix
          > users (I also sent mail to mailing lists of other free-software mail
          > tools). Otherwise, how could I reach everybody? Believe me, I carefully
          > chose the mailing lists before I sent anything.
          >
          > The goal is to get people to use a freedom-respecting mail service, not
          > filling their mailbox with spam :)
          >
          > Hopefully, people who use free-software tools are interested in the
          > issues discussed...
          >
          > - Anatoly Krasner
          >
          > On ה', 2013-02-28 at 11:19 -0500, James Seymour wrote:
          >> Isn't this *thoroughly* off-topic for this mailing list?
          >>
          >> Regards,
          >> Jim

          Hi Anatoly, i like your idea, mmy meaning
          as you massive crossposted, you should have all info you need now

          There are people willing to help you, but you should have learned
          massive mail services are expensive to host for logical reasons.

          Go now offlist contact ,and show some i.e finance plan at interested
          people etc.
          Lists are typical for solving tec stuff ( here postfix ), maybe do some
          blog for more issuses you want to discuss

          Best Regards
          MfG Robert Schetterer

          --
          [*] sys4 AG