Re: Public free (libre) mailbox hosting service for everybody!

  • James Seymour
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
      On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 18:51:15 +0200
      אנטולי קרסנר <tombackton@...> wrote:

      > No, the mailing list is a legitimate way to connect with all postfix
      > users ...

      The mailing list I thought was supposed to be about Postfix, or at
      least vaguely Postfix-related, issues. By your logic: If I want to
      interact with all Postfix users on the subject of motorcycle repair,
      then it would be on-topic, because it's only Postfix users with whom I
      wish to discuss motorcycle repair?

      Regards,
      Jim
      filtering. If you reply to this email and your email is
    • M. Fioretti
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
        MANDATORY DISCLAIMER:

        - I think this is at least partly on topic here because it's (also)
        about promoting postfix for "free-as-in-freedom", responsible email
        usage,

        - but personally, I don't need any of what follows. I already built
        nexaima.net to do it for me, and it's meant to stay that way, that
        is for me only

        On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 16:35:08 PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

        > Am 28.02.2013 16:30, schrieb אנטולי קרסנר:
        > > Persoanlly, I don't have time, knowledge or money (I'm a university
        > > student) to setup and maintain a mail server
        >
        > and the people who have the knowledge and money do not have the time
        > because maintain a RELIEABLE mailserver costs a lot of time,
        > especially if you try to open it for everybody because you can guess
        > how many idiots you get as users which only abuse your service with
        > spam and misuse

        Anatoly will speak for himself, but the proposal in _my_ own posts is
        quite different from what you outline here.

        What I proposed is a VPS package, just as the ones _already "sold" by
        many hosting providers, that unlike those packages is not a bare-bone
        linux distro, but is preconfigured with SMTP/Imap server etc... in
        order to:

        1) accept incoming email only for one domain and set of users
        2) relay email only for THAT domain and set of users

        The owner of every "package" would only be responsible for the abuses
        of his own users. The hosting provider may impose bandwidth limits in
        advance. And 1 and 2 would be configurable by web interface.
        Basically, this is exactly the SAME thing many hosting providers
        already offer, just packaged in a way that it is much, much easier to
        migrate the whole thing to another server, in any moment, without
        reconfiguring everything from scratch.

        As to "who would fund development of this bundle": I guess the same
        people who "fund" Centos, Debian, Postfix and lots of other software,
        in the same way, for the same reasons. If there's money to be made
        (more or less indirectly) in hosting VPS server for WWW applications,
        there is also, IMO, in doing the same thing for email.

        Marco
      • John Peach
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
          On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 12:00:58 -0500
          James Seymour <jseymour@...> wrote:

          > On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 18:51:15 +0200
          > אנטולי קרסנר <tombackton@...> wrote:
          >
          > > No, the mailing list is a legitimate way to connect with all postfix
          > > users ...
          >
          > The mailing list I thought was supposed to be about Postfix, or at
          > least vaguely Postfix-related, issues. By your logic: If I want to
          > interact with all Postfix users on the subject of motorcycle repair,
          > then it would be on-topic, because it's only Postfix users with whom I
          > wish to discuss motorcycle repair?

          +1
        • Robert Schetterer
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
            Am 28.02.2013 17:51, schrieb אנטולי קרסנר:
            > No, the mailing list is a legitimate way to connect with all postfix
            > users (I also sent mail to mailing lists of other free-software mail
            > tools). Otherwise, how could I reach everybody? Believe me, I carefully
            > chose the mailing lists before I sent anything.
            >
            > The goal is to get people to use a freedom-respecting mail service, not
            > filling their mailbox with spam :)
            >
            > Hopefully, people who use free-software tools are interested in the
            > issues discussed...
            >
            > - Anatoly Krasner
            >
            > On ה', 2013-02-28 at 11:19 -0500, James Seymour wrote:
            >> Isn't this *thoroughly* off-topic for this mailing list?
            >>
            >> Regards,
            >> Jim

            Hi Anatoly, i like your idea, mmy meaning
            as you massive crossposted, you should have all info you need now

            There are people willing to help you, but you should have learned
            massive mail services are expensive to host for logical reasons.

            Go now offlist contact ,and show some i.e finance plan at interested
            people etc.
            Lists are typical for solving tec stuff ( here postfix ), maybe do some
            blog for more issuses you want to discuss

            Best Regards
            MfG Robert Schetterer

            --
            [*] sys4 AG