Re: Public free (libre) mailbox hosting service for everybody!

  • אנטולי קרסנר
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
      You pay nothing to Google but get an excellent mailbox. Not libre, but
      it does the job. Many people volunteer for free software. Somehow they
      find time. I realize a reliable server needs people to work on it
      full-time, it's not just a little web application you write in 10
      minutes.

      But that's why I'm trying to get funding. If expenses can be covered,
      that solves the problem.

      You're right, there's no magic solution.

      It's not simple, but possible. And look at MyKolab. There you go, it's a
      company which plans to launch a libre mailbox service! Yes, users will
      have to pay money. Yes, I'm trying to get the project funded so that
      people can get exposed to free software and software freedom, and
      migrate from GMail, at no cost.

      Like I said, I'll update when there's new information.

      On ה', 2013-02-28 at 16:35 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

      > Am 28.02.2013 16:30, schrieb אנטולי קרסנר:
      > > Persoanlly, I don't have time, knowledge or money (I'm a university
      > > student) to setup and maintain a mail server
      >
      > and the people who have the knowledge and money do not have
      > the time because maintain a RELIEABLE mailserver costs a lot
      > of time, especially if you try to open it for everybody because
      > you can guess how many idiots you get as users which only
      > abuse your service with spam and misuse
      >
      > as always: you get what you pay for

    • Deeztek.com Support
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
        On 2/27/2013 4:11 PM, אנטולי קרסנר wrote:
        > Hello e-mail software developers and users!
        >
        > I'd like to ask all of you a question. And of course hear relevant
        > opinion.
        >
        > I've been using free software happily for a few years, and I found
        > free/open source alternatives for many popular proprietary tools such as
        > Facebook, Dropbox, Micro$oft Windows & Office, Youtube, Skype and many
        > many others. Some of the alternatives are probably known to some of you,
        > while others are still unknown to many.
        >
        > But I couldn't find a replacement to mailbox hosting. I'm using a Gmail
        > mailbox and I hate it. So many free and open source mail servers and I
        > still use Gmail, a closed-source service (which also probably tracks all
        > my data, including Google searches I do, and uses it for all kinds of
        > statistics and advertising, but that's another issue). So I asked
        > myself, why is there no mailbox hosting service which respects user
        > freedom?
        >
        > I sent an e-mail to the Free Software Foundation, and got a suggestion
        > to ask all of you: do you know any free (libre) mail server out there?
        > If you do, please inform me, and the whole free software community,
        > developers and users.
        >
        > I couldn't find any. If nobody else finds any either, the plan is to
        > start a new server. There are so many server tools and programs, like
        > the ones you use and develop. It's just like hosting a Git repository or
        > videos of pictures for the masses. We can do it with e-mail too.
        >
        > Q: Why don't I start my own personal server?
        > A: I'm a programmer and I can do it - with some effort, but I can. The
        > problem is not me. The problem is that all the non-programmer and
        > non-technical users can't. And they shouldn't. We tech people can, and
        > should, run such servers for everybody. For all users who want their
        > basic freedoms respected.
        >
        > Another question to tech people: I'm not an expert in e-mail software,
        > so I'm not really sure setting up a server is as easy as all other
        > online services we get, such as Diaspora (facebook replacement),
        > MediaGoblin (Youtube replacement), Gitorious (git repo hosting). Is
        > there a technical issue preventing people from running a mail server, or
        > it's just a matter of having enough money to run it, and the necessary
        > technical skills (which many of you probably have).
        >
        > If it's possible, we'll do it. Also, if users had to pay for such a
        > service, it would be okay. I don't mind paying for my free software
        > stack. I'd actually find it a way to contribute back to the people and
        > projects which deserve it. The point is not money; such a service can
        > get funds. The point if FREEDOM.
        >
        > Waiting for response and opinions from you, my fellow free software
        > community members,
        > Anatoly Krasner
        > Free software enthusiast/activist
        > Israel

        If you are looking for a free email service that respects your privacy
        built on top of open source software, we certainly offer something like
        that. It's built on top of postfix,courier, egroupware and we offer 5GB
        mailboxes, Secure IMAP, Secure POP3, Secure SMTP, calendar, tasks and
        contacts. We guarantee not to share or sell your private information to
        anyone for any reason unless of course we are presented with a court
        order requiring us to do so :) Heck, we don't even serve ads. We are on
        the initial stages of rolling it out (out website is still under
        construction but the e-mail hosting works fine) but you are more than
        welcome to try it out if you like:

        https://www.deeztek.com:449/deeztek_free_mail_signup.cfm

        Thanks

        --
      • James Seymour
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
          Isn't this *thoroughly* off-topic for this mailing list?

          Regards,
          Jim
          filtering. If you reply to this email and your email is
        • אנטולי קרסנר
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
            No, the mailing list is a legitimate way to connect with all postfix
            users (I also sent mail to mailing lists of other free-software mail
            tools). Otherwise, how could I reach everybody? Believe me, I carefully
            chose the mailing lists before I sent anything.

            The goal is to get people to use a freedom-respecting mail service, not
            filling their mailbox with spam :)

            Hopefully, people who use free-software tools are interested in the
            issues discussed...

            - Anatoly Krasner

            On ה', 2013-02-28 at 11:19 -0500, James Seymour wrote:
            > Isn't this *thoroughly* off-topic for this mailing list?
            >
            > Regards,
            > Jim
          • Reindl Harald
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
              the point is that this list is for TECHNICAL support
              of postfix itself, so it is for the admins which are
              installing, configureing and maintaining postfix
              servers, most of them are admins for business

              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
                On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 18:51:15 +0200
                אנטולי קרסנר <tombackton@...> wrote:

                > No, the mailing list is a legitimate way to connect with all postfix
                > users ...

                The mailing list I thought was supposed to be about Postfix, or at
                least vaguely Postfix-related, issues. By your logic: If I want to
                interact with all Postfix users on the subject of motorcycle repair,
                then it would be on-topic, because it's only Postfix users with whom I
                wish to discuss motorcycle repair?

                Regards,
                Jim
                filtering. If you reply to this email and your email is
              • M. Fioretti
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
                  MANDATORY DISCLAIMER:

                  - I think this is at least partly on topic here because it's (also)
                  about promoting postfix for "free-as-in-freedom", responsible email
                  usage,

                  - but personally, I don't need any of what follows. I already built
                  nexaima.net to do it for me, and it's meant to stay that way, that
                  is for me only

                  On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 16:35:08 PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

                  > Am 28.02.2013 16:30, schrieb אנטולי קרסנר:
                  > > Persoanlly, I don't have time, knowledge or money (I'm a university
                  > > student) to setup and maintain a mail server
                  >
                  > and the people who have the knowledge and money do not have the time
                  > because maintain a RELIEABLE mailserver costs a lot of time,
                  > especially if you try to open it for everybody because you can guess
                  > how many idiots you get as users which only abuse your service with
                  > spam and misuse

                  Anatoly will speak for himself, but the proposal in _my_ own posts is
                  quite different from what you outline here.

                  What I proposed is a VPS package, just as the ones _already "sold" by
                  many hosting providers, that unlike those packages is not a bare-bone
                  linux distro, but is preconfigured with SMTP/Imap server etc... in
                  order to:

                  1) accept incoming email only for one domain and set of users
                  2) relay email only for THAT domain and set of users

                  The owner of every "package" would only be responsible for the abuses
                  of his own users. The hosting provider may impose bandwidth limits in
                  advance. And 1 and 2 would be configurable by web interface.
                  Basically, this is exactly the SAME thing many hosting providers
                  already offer, just packaged in a way that it is much, much easier to
                  migrate the whole thing to another server, in any moment, without
                  reconfiguring everything from scratch.

                  As to "who would fund development of this bundle": I guess the same
                  people who "fund" Centos, Debian, Postfix and lots of other software,
                  in the same way, for the same reasons. If there's money to be made
                  (more or less indirectly) in hosting VPS server for WWW applications,
                  there is also, IMO, in doing the same thing for email.

                  Marco
                • John Peach
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
                    On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 12:00:58 -0500
                    James Seymour <jseymour@...> wrote:

                    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 18:51:15 +0200
                    > אנטולי קרסנר <tombackton@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > No, the mailing list is a legitimate way to connect with all postfix
                    > > users ...
                    >
                    > The mailing list I thought was supposed to be about Postfix, or at
                    > least vaguely Postfix-related, issues. By your logic: If I want to
                    > interact with all Postfix users on the subject of motorcycle repair,
                    > then it would be on-topic, because it's only Postfix users with whom I
                    > wish to discuss motorcycle repair?

                    +1
                  • Robert Schetterer
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
                      Am 28.02.2013 17:51, schrieb אנטולי קרסנר:
                      > No, the mailing list is a legitimate way to connect with all postfix
                      > users (I also sent mail to mailing lists of other free-software mail
                      > tools). Otherwise, how could I reach everybody? Believe me, I carefully
                      > chose the mailing lists before I sent anything.
                      >
                      > The goal is to get people to use a freedom-respecting mail service, not
                      > filling their mailbox with spam :)
                      >
                      > Hopefully, people who use free-software tools are interested in the
                      > issues discussed...
                      >
                      > - Anatoly Krasner
                      >
                      > On ה', 2013-02-28 at 11:19 -0500, James Seymour wrote:
                      >> Isn't this *thoroughly* off-topic for this mailing list?
                      >>
                      >> Regards,
                      >> Jim

                      Hi Anatoly, i like your idea, mmy meaning
                      as you massive crossposted, you should have all info you need now

                      There are people willing to help you, but you should have learned
                      massive mail services are expensive to host for logical reasons.

                      Go now offlist contact ,and show some i.e finance plan at interested
                      people etc.
                      Lists are typical for solving tec stuff ( here postfix ), maybe do some
                      blog for more issuses you want to discuss

                      Best Regards
                      MfG Robert Schetterer

                      --
                      [*] sys4 AG