Re: Public free (libre) mailbox hosting service for everybody!

  • אנטולי קרסנר
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
      Sorry, I missed that list...

      Two options are being examined:

      1. Start a new server (I'll need your help here because I never worked
      with servers)

      2. Use the MyKolab service. It saves all the hard work, but it's still
      in beta stage and it's going to cost money to use it. So I'm trying to
      get funding so that a basic mailbox service is available for no cost
      (unless you donate to the funds supplier, which would be very nice)

      Persoanlly, I don't have time, knowledge or money (I'm a university
      student) to setup and maintain a mail server, so if it depends on me -
      it would take a few years at least... so I rely on MyKolab.

      Other mail services exist (e.g. gandi.net uses RoundCube), proving a
      practical usable solution exists.

      If anyone wants to start a new service independent of any company like
      Kolab Systems - you're welcome. I'll help you with pleasure if there's
      anything I can do. Just contact me by e-mail :-)

      SUMMARY OF CURRENT STATUS: waiting to see if we can get funding /
      waiting to see if someone can and wants to start a server

      NOTE: Starting a server doesn't mean you pay everything by yourself: A
      proof of a working service beta is enough to show people and get
      funding. Many open-source and free-software support organizations exist,
      which are non-profit and work using donations. A Free (libre) mail
      server is the perfect project for them to invest in (i.e. fund).

      I'll update when more news/responses arrive.

      - Anatoly Krasner

      On ה', 2013-02-28 at 15:55 +0100, M. Fioretti wrote:
      > On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 11:51:10 AM +0200, אנטולי קרסנר wrote:
      >
      > > Hi Marco (and recipients),
      > >
      > > I read the articles and I'd like everybody to have a look too. Focus
      > > thoughts on technology before everything else: Can we setup mail service
      > > which is easy enough to maintain (enough to be reliable) and easy enough
      > > to use, even for non-technical users who use Gmail and Micro$oft
      > > Outlook?
      > >
      > > If someone who's familoar with mail software can write some kind of
      > > plan, or at least a list of tools needed for a mail server, I'll be
      > > thankful.
      >
      > ??? Anatoly, the list you are asking for is in one the links I had already
      > sent to you:
      >
      > http://freesoftware.zona-m.net/wanted-virtual-personal-email-servers/
      >
      > Marco
    • Reindl Harald
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
        Am 28.02.2013 16:30, schrieb אנטולי קרסנר:
        > Persoanlly, I don't have time, knowledge or money (I'm a university
        > student) to setup and maintain a mail server

        and the people who have the knowledge and money do not have
        the time because maintain a RELIEABLE mailserver costs a lot
        of time, especially if you try to open it for everybody because
        you can guess how many idiots you get as users which only
        abuse your service with spam and misuse

        as always: you get what you pay for
      • אנטולי קרסנר
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
          You pay nothing to Google but get an excellent mailbox. Not libre, but
          it does the job. Many people volunteer for free software. Somehow they
          find time. I realize a reliable server needs people to work on it
          full-time, it's not just a little web application you write in 10
          minutes.

          But that's why I'm trying to get funding. If expenses can be covered,
          that solves the problem.

          You're right, there's no magic solution.

          It's not simple, but possible. And look at MyKolab. There you go, it's a
          company which plans to launch a libre mailbox service! Yes, users will
          have to pay money. Yes, I'm trying to get the project funded so that
          people can get exposed to free software and software freedom, and
          migrate from GMail, at no cost.

          Like I said, I'll update when there's new information.

          On ה', 2013-02-28 at 16:35 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

          > Am 28.02.2013 16:30, schrieb אנטולי קרסנר:
          > > Persoanlly, I don't have time, knowledge or money (I'm a university
          > > student) to setup and maintain a mail server
          >
          > and the people who have the knowledge and money do not have
          > the time because maintain a RELIEABLE mailserver costs a lot
          > of time, especially if you try to open it for everybody because
          > you can guess how many idiots you get as users which only
          > abuse your service with spam and misuse
          >
          > as always: you get what you pay for

        • Deeztek.com Support
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
            On 2/27/2013 4:11 PM, אנטולי קרסנר wrote:
            > Hello e-mail software developers and users!
            >
            > I'd like to ask all of you a question. And of course hear relevant
            > opinion.
            >
            > I've been using free software happily for a few years, and I found
            > free/open source alternatives for many popular proprietary tools such as
            > Facebook, Dropbox, Micro$oft Windows & Office, Youtube, Skype and many
            > many others. Some of the alternatives are probably known to some of you,
            > while others are still unknown to many.
            >
            > But I couldn't find a replacement to mailbox hosting. I'm using a Gmail
            > mailbox and I hate it. So many free and open source mail servers and I
            > still use Gmail, a closed-source service (which also probably tracks all
            > my data, including Google searches I do, and uses it for all kinds of
            > statistics and advertising, but that's another issue). So I asked
            > myself, why is there no mailbox hosting service which respects user
            > freedom?
            >
            > I sent an e-mail to the Free Software Foundation, and got a suggestion
            > to ask all of you: do you know any free (libre) mail server out there?
            > If you do, please inform me, and the whole free software community,
            > developers and users.
            >
            > I couldn't find any. If nobody else finds any either, the plan is to
            > start a new server. There are so many server tools and programs, like
            > the ones you use and develop. It's just like hosting a Git repository or
            > videos of pictures for the masses. We can do it with e-mail too.
            >
            > Q: Why don't I start my own personal server?
            > A: I'm a programmer and I can do it - with some effort, but I can. The
            > problem is not me. The problem is that all the non-programmer and
            > non-technical users can't. And they shouldn't. We tech people can, and
            > should, run such servers for everybody. For all users who want their
            > basic freedoms respected.
            >
            > Another question to tech people: I'm not an expert in e-mail software,
            > so I'm not really sure setting up a server is as easy as all other
            > online services we get, such as Diaspora (facebook replacement),
            > MediaGoblin (Youtube replacement), Gitorious (git repo hosting). Is
            > there a technical issue preventing people from running a mail server, or
            > it's just a matter of having enough money to run it, and the necessary
            > technical skills (which many of you probably have).
            >
            > If it's possible, we'll do it. Also, if users had to pay for such a
            > service, it would be okay. I don't mind paying for my free software
            > stack. I'd actually find it a way to contribute back to the people and
            > projects which deserve it. The point is not money; such a service can
            > get funds. The point if FREEDOM.
            >
            > Waiting for response and opinions from you, my fellow free software
            > community members,
            > Anatoly Krasner
            > Free software enthusiast/activist
            > Israel

            If you are looking for a free email service that respects your privacy
            built on top of open source software, we certainly offer something like
            that. It's built on top of postfix,courier, egroupware and we offer 5GB
            mailboxes, Secure IMAP, Secure POP3, Secure SMTP, calendar, tasks and
            contacts. We guarantee not to share or sell your private information to
            anyone for any reason unless of course we are presented with a court
            order requiring us to do so :) Heck, we don't even serve ads. We are on
            the initial stages of rolling it out (out website is still under
            construction but the e-mail hosting works fine) but you are more than
            welcome to try it out if you like:

            https://www.deeztek.com:449/deeztek_free_mail_signup.cfm

            Thanks

            --
          • James Seymour
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
              Isn't this *thoroughly* off-topic for this mailing list?

              Regards,
              Jim
              filtering. If you reply to this email and your email is
            • אנטולי קרסנר
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
                No, the mailing list is a legitimate way to connect with all postfix
                users (I also sent mail to mailing lists of other free-software mail
                tools). Otherwise, how could I reach everybody? Believe me, I carefully
                chose the mailing lists before I sent anything.

                The goal is to get people to use a freedom-respecting mail service, not
                filling their mailbox with spam :)

                Hopefully, people who use free-software tools are interested in the
                issues discussed...

                - Anatoly Krasner

                On ה', 2013-02-28 at 11:19 -0500, James Seymour wrote:
                > Isn't this *thoroughly* off-topic for this mailing list?
                >
                > Regards,
                > Jim
              • Reindl Harald
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
                  the point is that this list is for TECHNICAL support
                  of postfix itself, so it is for the admins which are
                  installing, configureing and maintaining postfix
                  servers, most of them are admins for business

                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
                    On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 18:51:15 +0200
                    אנטולי קרסנר <tombackton@...> wrote:

                    > No, the mailing list is a legitimate way to connect with all postfix
                    > users ...

                    The mailing list I thought was supposed to be about Postfix, or at
                    least vaguely Postfix-related, issues. By your logic: If I want to
                    interact with all Postfix users on the subject of motorcycle repair,
                    then it would be on-topic, because it's only Postfix users with whom I
                    wish to discuss motorcycle repair?

                    Regards,
                    Jim
                    filtering. If you reply to this email and your email is
                  • M. Fioretti
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
                      MANDATORY DISCLAIMER:

                      - I think this is at least partly on topic here because it's (also)
                      about promoting postfix for "free-as-in-freedom", responsible email
                      usage,

                      - but personally, I don't need any of what follows. I already built
                      nexaima.net to do it for me, and it's meant to stay that way, that
                      is for me only

                      On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 16:35:08 PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

                      > Am 28.02.2013 16:30, schrieb אנטולי קרסנר:
                      > > Persoanlly, I don't have time, knowledge or money (I'm a university
                      > > student) to setup and maintain a mail server
                      >
                      > and the people who have the knowledge and money do not have the time
                      > because maintain a RELIEABLE mailserver costs a lot of time,
                      > especially if you try to open it for everybody because you can guess
                      > how many idiots you get as users which only abuse your service with
                      > spam and misuse

                      Anatoly will speak for himself, but the proposal in _my_ own posts is
                      quite different from what you outline here.

                      What I proposed is a VPS package, just as the ones _already "sold" by
                      many hosting providers, that unlike those packages is not a bare-bone
                      linux distro, but is preconfigured with SMTP/Imap server etc... in
                      order to:

                      1) accept incoming email only for one domain and set of users
                      2) relay email only for THAT domain and set of users

                      The owner of every "package" would only be responsible for the abuses
                      of his own users. The hosting provider may impose bandwidth limits in
                      advance. And 1 and 2 would be configurable by web interface.
                      Basically, this is exactly the SAME thing many hosting providers
                      already offer, just packaged in a way that it is much, much easier to
                      migrate the whole thing to another server, in any moment, without
                      reconfiguring everything from scratch.

                      As to "who would fund development of this bundle": I guess the same
                      people who "fund" Centos, Debian, Postfix and lots of other software,
                      in the same way, for the same reasons. If there's money to be made
                      (more or less indirectly) in hosting VPS server for WWW applications,
                      there is also, IMO, in doing the same thing for email.

                      Marco
                    • John Peach
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
                        On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 12:00:58 -0500
                        James Seymour <jseymour@...> wrote:

                        > On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 18:51:15 +0200
                        > אנטולי קרסנר <tombackton@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > No, the mailing list is a legitimate way to connect with all postfix
                        > > users ...
                        >
                        > The mailing list I thought was supposed to be about Postfix, or at
                        > least vaguely Postfix-related, issues. By your logic: If I want to
                        > interact with all Postfix users on the subject of motorcycle repair,
                        > then it would be on-topic, because it's only Postfix users with whom I
                        > wish to discuss motorcycle repair?

                        +1
                      • Robert Schetterer
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
                          Am 28.02.2013 17:51, schrieb אנטולי קרסנר:
                          > No, the mailing list is a legitimate way to connect with all postfix
                          > users (I also sent mail to mailing lists of other free-software mail
                          > tools). Otherwise, how could I reach everybody? Believe me, I carefully
                          > chose the mailing lists before I sent anything.
                          >
                          > The goal is to get people to use a freedom-respecting mail service, not
                          > filling their mailbox with spam :)
                          >
                          > Hopefully, people who use free-software tools are interested in the
                          > issues discussed...
                          >
                          > - Anatoly Krasner
                          >
                          > On ה', 2013-02-28 at 11:19 -0500, James Seymour wrote:
                          >> Isn't this *thoroughly* off-topic for this mailing list?
                          >>
                          >> Regards,
                          >> Jim

                          Hi Anatoly, i like your idea, mmy meaning
                          as you massive crossposted, you should have all info you need now

                          There are people willing to help you, but you should have learned
                          massive mail services are expensive to host for logical reasons.

                          Go now offlist contact ,and show some i.e finance plan at interested
                          people etc.
                          Lists are typical for solving tec stuff ( here postfix ), maybe do some
                          blog for more issuses you want to discuss

                          Best Regards
                          MfG Robert Schetterer

                          --
                          [*] sys4 AG