Re: Running namecache service on postfix server?

  • DTNX Postmaster
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 27, 2013
      On Feb 27, 2013, at 18:05, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@...> wrote:

      > Another tidbit is you should firewall access to port 53. Your caching server is only for you. It is listening only on localhost, but why open up a port not needed.

      Review the examples given again, please. Why would you need to firewall
      a local nameserver that ONLY listens on the localhost interface?

      Cya,
      Jona
    • Robert Moskowitz
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 27, 2013
        On 02/27/2013 12:26 PM, DTNX Postmaster wrote:
        > On Feb 27, 2013, at 18:05, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Another tidbit is you should firewall access to port 53. Your caching server is only for you. It is listening only on localhost, but why open up a port not needed.
        > Review the examples given again, please. Why would you need to firewall
        > a local nameserver that ONLY listens on the localhost interface?

        I would hope you are running local firewall, and only opening what is
        needed. Just pointing out that there is no need to open port 53 as it
        is only used local.

        Also about chroot. Only needed if you disable selinux.