Re: forward the bounce message to Reply-To

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 26 1:48 PM
      Florin Andrei:
      > Sending out messages through a Postfix server. Delivery is refused for
      > whatever reason (e.g. recipient does not exist), and then a bounce is
      > sent by Postfix to a local inbox on that server, as a failure notification.

      No. It is sent to the SMTP envelope sender as required by RFC 5321.
      To send bounces elsewhere use the proper envelope address. One
      option is to use VERP (per-recipient return address).

      Wietse
    • Florin Andrei
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 26 3:10 PM
        On 02/26/2013 01:48 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
        > Florin Andrei:
        >> Sending out messages through a Postfix server. Delivery is refused for
        >> whatever reason (e.g. recipient does not exist), and then a bounce is
        >> sent by Postfix to a local inbox on that server, as a failure notification.
        >
        > No. It is sent to the SMTP envelope sender as required by RFC 5321.
        > To send bounces elsewhere use the proper envelope address. One
        > option is to use VERP (per-recipient return address).

        Right, and the envelope sender matches the local inbox, which is why the
        bounce is sent there after all.

        *After* that, I want the bounce forwarded to the Reply-To address(es).

        --
        Florin Andrei
        http://florin.myip.org/
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 26 4:32 PM
          Am 27.02.2013 00:10, schrieb Florin Andrei:
          > On 02/26/2013 01:48 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
          >> Florin Andrei:
          >>> Sending out messages through a Postfix server. Delivery is refused for
          >>> whatever reason (e.g. recipient does not exist), and then a bounce is
          >>> sent by Postfix to a local inbox on that server, as a failure notification.
          >>
          >> No. It is sent to the SMTP envelope sender as required by RFC 5321.
          >> To send bounces elsewhere use the proper envelope address. One
          >> option is to use VERP (per-recipient return address).
          >
          > Right, and the envelope sender matches the local inbox, which is why the bounce is sent there after all.
          > *After* that, I want the bounce forwarded to the Reply-To address(es)

          and why do you not change the envelope in the application
          which is generating the messages instead try to violate
          RCF's which will not be supported on this list?
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 26 4:33 PM
            Florin Andrei:
            > On 02/26/2013 01:48 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
            > > Florin Andrei:
            > >> Sending out messages through a Postfix server. Delivery is refused for
            > >> whatever reason (e.g. recipient does not exist), and then a bounce is
            > >> sent by Postfix to a local inbox on that server, as a failure notification.
            > >
            > > No. It is sent to the SMTP envelope sender as required by RFC 5321.
            > > To send bounces elsewhere use the proper envelope address. One
            > > option is to use VERP (per-recipient return address).
            >
            > Right, and the envelope sender matches the local inbox, which is why the
            > bounce is sent there after all.
            >
            > *After* that, I want the bounce forwarded to the Reply-To address(es).

            If you set the proper envelope sender address (VERP or otherwise),
            then you don't have to muck with Reply-To.