Re: header_checks issue

    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 24, 2013
      Someone:
      > You can, but the bob entry is redundant. I don't recommend per-mailbox
      > transport entries at all, it is best to stick to per-domain transport
      > entries only, and handle per-user routing via virtual(5) alias rewriting.

      Wietse:
      > Typically this would be done with virtual aliases that send
      > bob@... to bob@...

      Deeztek.com Support:
      > I cannot seem to find any reference to the format you have suggested
      > above for the aliases file. I tried it as

      /etc/postfix/main.cf:

      /etc/postfix/virtual:
      bob@... bob@...

      For example bob@[1.1.1.1]

      Wietse
    • Deeztek.com Support
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 24, 2013
        On 2/24/2013 8:19 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
        > Someone:
        >> You can, but the bob entry is redundant. I don't recommend per-mailbox
        >> transport entries at all, it is best to stick to per-domain transport
        >> entries only, and handle per-user routing via virtual(5) alias rewriting.
        > Wietse:
        >> Typically this would be done with virtual aliases that send
        >> bob@... to bob@...
        > Deeztek.com Support:
        >> I cannot seem to find any reference to the format you have suggested
        >> above for the aliases file. I tried it as
        > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
        > virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
        >
        > /etc/postfix/virtual:
        > bob@... bob@...
        >
        > For example bob@[1.1.1.1]
        >
        > Wietse
        I tried it in the /etc/postfix/virtual file also with no success before
        I sent out the previous e-mail.

        So there is no confusion. I have one domain let's call it mydomain.com.
        I have 3 servers. One is the relay server that intercepts all incoming
        mail and filters out spam etc and the other two are mail servers located
        at 1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2 which are the ultimate destination after the
        relay server processes the e-mail.

        I have the following entry in /etc/postfix/transports for the domain in
        the relay server:

        mydomain.com smtp:[1.1.1.1]

        Most of the e-mail for that domain is of course relaying to the 1.1.1.1
        server. However, there are some e-mail addresses on that domain that I
        want to make an exception for and I need to relay the e-mail to 2.2.2.2
        instead of 1.1.1.1. So, if we had a user called joe@... that
        instead of relaying to 1.1.1.1 like normal, how would I input that entry
        in etc/postfix/virtual to instead relay to the 2.2.2.2 server?

        thanks in advance

        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 24, 2013
          Deeztek.com Support:
          > On 2/24/2013 8:19 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
          > > Someone:
          > >> You can, but the bob entry is redundant. I don't recommend per-mailbox
          > >> transport entries at all, it is best to stick to per-domain transport
          > >> entries only, and handle per-user routing via virtual(5) alias rewriting.
          > > Wietse:
          > >> Typically this would be done with virtual aliases that send
          > >> bob@... to bob@...
          > > Deeztek.com Support:
          > >> I cannot seem to find any reference to the format you have suggested
          > >> above for the aliases file. I tried it as
          > > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
          > > virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
          > >
          > > /etc/postfix/virtual:
          > > bob@... bob@...
          > >
          > > For example bob@[1.1.1.1]
          > >
          > > Wietse
          > I tried it in the /etc/postfix/virtual file also with no success before
          > I sent out the previous e-mail.
          >
          > So there is no confusion. I have one domain let's call it mydomain.com.
          > I have 3 servers. One is the relay server that intercepts all incoming
          > mail and filters out spam etc and the other two are mail servers located
          > at 1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2 which are the ultimate destination after the
          > relay server processes the e-mail.
          >
          > I have the following entry in /etc/postfix/transports for the domain in
          > the relay server:
          >
          > mydomain.com smtp:[1.1.1.1]
          >
          > Most of the e-mail for that domain is of course relaying to the 1.1.1.1
          > server. However, there are some e-mail addresses on that domain that I
          > want to make an exception for and I need to relay the e-mail to 2.2.2.2
          > instead of 1.1.1.1. So, if we had a user called joe@... that
          > instead of relaying to 1.1.1.1 like normal, how would I input that entry
          > in etc/postfix/virtual to instead relay to the 2.2.2.2 server?

          /etc/postfix/main.cf:

          /etc/postfix/virtual:
          joe@... joe@[2.2.2.2]

          Wietse

        • Deeztek.com Support
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 24, 2013
            On 2/24/2013 9:07 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
            > Deeztek.com Support:
            > [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]
            >> On 2/24/2013 8:19 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
            >>> Someone:
            >>> Wietse:
            >>> Deeztek.com Support:
            >>> /etc/postfix/main.cf:
            >>> virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
            >>>
            >>> /etc/postfix/virtual:
            >>> bob@... bob@...
            >>>
            >>> For example bob@[1.1.1.1]
            >>>
            >>> Wietse
            >> I tried it in the /etc/postfix/virtual file also with no success before
            >> I sent out the previous e-mail.
            >>
            >> So there is no confusion. I have one domain let's call it mydomain.com.
            >> I have 3 servers. One is the relay server that intercepts all incoming
            >> mail and filters out spam etc and the other two are mail servers located
            >> at 1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2 which are the ultimate destination after the
            >> relay server processes the e-mail.
            >>
            >> I have the following entry in /etc/postfix/transports for the domain in
            >> the relay server:
            >>
            >> mydomain.com smtp:[1.1.1.1]
            >>
            >> Most of the e-mail for that domain is of course relaying to the 1.1.1.1
            >> server. However, there are some e-mail addresses on that domain that I
            >> want to make an exception for and I need to relay the e-mail to 2.2.2.2
            >> instead of 1.1.1.1. So, if we had a user called joe@... that
            >> instead of relaying to 1.1.1.1 like normal, how would I input that entry
            >> in etc/postfix/virtual to instead relay to the 2.2.2.2 server?
            >
            > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
            > virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
            >
            > /etc/postfix/virtual:
            > joe@... joe@[2.2.2.2]
            >
            > Wietse
            Not working. The relay server completely ignores the virtual entry and
            instead uses the transport relaying to the 1.1.1.1 server which of
            course gives me the Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual
            mailbox table error since the user doesn't exist on that server.
            Additionally, there is no joe at the 2.2.2.2 server. There is
            joe@... on 2.2.2.2 but not simply joe. Not sure if that makes a
            difference as far as the virtual entry is concerned.

            thanks

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 24, 2013
              Deeztek.com Support:
              > >> Most of the e-mail for that domain is of course relaying to the 1.1.1.1
              > >> server. However, there are some e-mail addresses on that domain that I
              > >> want to make an exception for and I need to relay the e-mail to 2.2.2.2
              > >> instead of 1.1.1.1. So, if we had a user called joe@... that
              > >> instead of relaying to 1.1.1.1 like normal, how would I input that entry
              > >> in etc/postfix/virtual to instead relay to the 2.2.2.2 server?
              > >
              > > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
              > > virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
              > >
              > > /etc/postfix/virtual:
              > > joe@... joe@[2.2.2.2]
              > >
              > > Wietse
              > Not working. The relay server completely ignores the virtual entry and
              > instead uses the transport relaying to the 1.1.1.1 server which of

              Then you made a mistake. Please double check what you do.

              $ postmap -q joe@... /etc/postfix/virtual

              Wietse
            • Deeztek.com Support
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 24, 2013
                On 2/24/2013 10:19 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                > Deeztek.com Support:
                >>> /etc/postfix/main.cf:
                >>> virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
                >>>
                >>> /etc/postfix/virtual:
                >>> joe@... joe@[2.2.2.2]
                >>>
                >>> Wietse
                >> Not working. The relay server completely ignores the virtual entry and
                >> instead uses the transport relaying to the 1.1.1.1 server which of
                > Then you made a mistake. Please double check what you do.
                >
                > $ postmap -q joe@... /etc/postfix/virtual
                >
                > Wietse
                this is the error I'm getting from the logs:

                Feb 24 10:30:30 smtp postfix/smtp[6526]: 8A79342089: to=<joe@[2.2.2.2]>,
                orig_to=<joe@...>, relay=2.2.2.2[2.2.2.2]:25, delay=5.3,
                delays=0.17/0/0.03/5, dsn=5.1.3, status=bounced (host 2.2.2.2[2.2.2.2]
                said: 501 5.1.3 Invalid address (in reply to RCPT TO command))

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 24, 2013
                  Deeztek.com Support:
                  > On 2/24/2013 10:19 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                  > > Deeztek.com Support:

                  > >> Not working. The relay server completely ignores the virtual entry and
                  > >> instead uses the transport relaying to the 1.1.1.1 server which of
                  > > Then you made a mistake. Please double check what you do.
                  > >
                  > > $ postmap -q joe@... /etc/postfix/virtual
                  > >
                  > > Wietse
                  > this is the error I'm getting from the logs:
                  >
                  > Feb 24 10:30:30 smtp postfix/smtp[6526]: 8A79342089: to=<joe@[2.2.2.2]>,
                  > orig_to=<joe@...>, relay=2.2.2.2[2.2.2.2]:25, delay=5.3,
                  > delays=0.17/0/0.03/5, dsn=5.1.3, status=bounced (host 2.2.2.2[2.2.2.2]
                  > said: 501 5.1.3 Invalid address (in reply to RCPT TO command))

                  The machine does not implement RFC 5321. I can't fix that for you.