Re: header_checks issue

    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 22, 2013
      On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 03:13:27PM -0500, Deeztek.com Support wrote:

      > >bob@... smtp:[1.1.1.1]
      > >mary@... smtp:[2.2.2.2]
      > >example.com smtp:somewhere.else
      >
      > Sorry about the top-posting. Okay this is a little bit closer. So,
      > I'm assuming if I use the domain in conjuction with recipients for
      > the same domain the transport line for the domain has to point
      > somewhere completely different than the recipient lines? In other
      > words I can't have the following?
      >
      > bob@... smtp:[1.1.1.1]
      > mary@... smtp:[2.2.2.2]
      > example.com smtp:[1.1.1.1]

      You can, but the bob entry is redundant. I don't recommend per-mailbox
      transport entries at all, it is best to stick to per-domain transport
      entries only, and handle per-user routing via virtual(5) alias rewriting.

    • Deeztek.com Support
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 22, 2013
        On February 22, 2013 3:40:22 PM Viktor Dukhovni
        <postfix-users@...> wrote:
        > On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 03:13:27PM -0500, Deeztek.com Support wrote:
        >
        > > >bob@... smtp:[1.1.1.1]
        > > >mary@... smtp:[2.2.2.2]
        > > >example.com smtp:somewhere.else
        > >
        > > Sorry about the top-posting. Okay this is a little bit closer. So,
        > > I'm assuming if I use the domain in conjuction with recipients for
        > > the same domain the transport line for the domain has to point
        > > somewhere completely different than the recipient lines? In other
        > > words I can't have the following?
        > >
        > > bob@... smtp:[1.1.1.1]
        > > mary@... smtp:[2.2.2.2]
        > > example.com smtp:[1.1.1.1]
        >
        > You can, but the bob entry is redundant. I don't recommend per-mailbox
        > transport entries at all, it is best to stick to per-domain transport
        > entries only, and handle per-user routing via virtual(5) alias rewriting.
        >
        > --
        > Viktor.

        I am afraid i am not following. I thought virtual alias allowed only
        for forwarding mail to recipients such as bob@... to
        larry@....

        Thanks

        Sent with AquaMail for Android
        http://www.aqua-mail.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 22, 2013
          Deeztek.com Support:
          > On February 22, 2013 3:40:22 PM Viktor Dukhovni
          > <postfix-users@...> wrote:

          > > > Sorry about the top-posting. Okay this is a little bit closer. So,
          > > > I'm assuming if I use the domain in conjuction with recipients for
          > > > the same domain the transport line for the domain has to point
          > > > somewhere completely different than the recipient lines? In other
          > > > words I can't have the following?
          > > >
          > > > bob@... smtp:[1.1.1.1]
          > > > mary@... smtp:[2.2.2.2]
          > > > example.com smtp:[1.1.1.1]
          > >
          > > You can, but the bob entry is redundant. I don't recommend per-mailbox
          > > transport entries at all, it is best to stick to per-domain transport
          > > entries only, and handle per-user routing via virtual(5) alias rewriting.

          Typically this would be done with virtual aliases that send
          bob@... to bob@...

          Wietse
        • Deeztek.com Support
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 24, 2013
            On 2/22/2013 4:13 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
            > Deeztek.com Support:
            >> On February 22, 2013 3:40:22 PM Viktor Dukhovni
            >> <postfix-users@...> wrote:

            >>> You can, but the bob entry is redundant. I don't recommend per-mailbox
            >>> transport entries at all, it is best to stick to per-domain transport
            >>> entries only, and handle per-user routing via virtual(5) alias rewriting.
            > Typically this would be done with virtual aliases that send
            > bob@... to bob@...
            >
            > Wietse
            I cannot seem to find any reference to the format you have suggested
            above for the aliases file. I tried it as

            bob@... to bob@1.1.1.1-for-bob.example.com with no luck. Any
            suggestions?

            Thanks

            --
          • Robert Schetterer
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 24, 2013
              Am 24.02.2013 12:28, schrieb Deeztek.com Support:
              > On 2/22/2013 4:13 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
              >> Deeztek.com Support:

              >> Typically this would be done with virtual aliases that send
              >> bob@... to bob@...
              >>
              >> Wietse
              > I cannot seem to find any reference to the format you have suggested
              > above for the aliases file.

              bob@... smtp:[1.1.1.1]

              should be in transport , not aliases

              I tried it as

              > bob@... to bob@1.1.1.1-for-bob.example.com with no luck. Any
              > suggestions?
              >
              > Thanks

              Best Regards
              MfG Robert Schetterer

              --
              [*] sys4 AG

              http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
              Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München

            • Deeztek.com Support
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 24, 2013
                On 2/24/2013 6:39 AM, Robert Schetterer wrote:
                > Am 24.02.2013 12:28, schrieb Deeztek.com Support:
                >> On 2/22/2013 4:13 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                >>> Deeztek.com Support:

                >>> Typically this would be done with virtual aliases that send
                >>> bob@... to bob@...
                >>>
                >>> Wietse
                >> I cannot seem to find any reference to the format you have suggested
                >> above for the aliases file.
                > bob@... smtp:[1.1.1.1]
                >
                > should be in transport , not aliases
                >
                > I tried it as
                >> bob@... to bob@1.1.1.1-for-bob.example.com with no luck. Any
                >> suggestions?
                >>
                >> Thanks
                >>

                > Best Regards
                > MfG Robert Schetterer

                I realize that and it works when I put:

                bob@... smtp:[1.1.1.1]

                in transport. However, according to Victor "...it is best to stick to
                per-domain transport entries only, and handle per-user routing via
                virtual(5) alias rewriting." Then Wietse said I should enter something like

                bob@... to bob@...

                in the aliases but I can't seem to get that to work neither do I find a
                reference for such an entry in docs or google.
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 24, 2013
                  Someone:
                  > You can, but the bob entry is redundant. I don't recommend per-mailbox
                  > transport entries at all, it is best to stick to per-domain transport
                  > entries only, and handle per-user routing via virtual(5) alias rewriting.

                  Wietse:
                  > Typically this would be done with virtual aliases that send
                  > bob@... to bob@...

                  Deeztek.com Support:
                  > I cannot seem to find any reference to the format you have suggested
                  > above for the aliases file. I tried it as

                  /etc/postfix/main.cf:

                  /etc/postfix/virtual:
                  bob@... bob@...

                  For example bob@[1.1.1.1]

                  Wietse
                • Deeztek.com Support
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 24, 2013
                    On 2/24/2013 8:19 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                    > Someone:
                    >> You can, but the bob entry is redundant. I don't recommend per-mailbox
                    >> transport entries at all, it is best to stick to per-domain transport
                    >> entries only, and handle per-user routing via virtual(5) alias rewriting.
                    > Wietse:
                    >> Typically this would be done with virtual aliases that send
                    >> bob@... to bob@...
                    > Deeztek.com Support:
                    >> I cannot seem to find any reference to the format you have suggested
                    >> above for the aliases file. I tried it as
                    > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
                    > virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
                    >
                    > /etc/postfix/virtual:
                    > bob@... bob@...
                    >
                    > For example bob@[1.1.1.1]
                    >
                    > Wietse
                    I tried it in the /etc/postfix/virtual file also with no success before
                    I sent out the previous e-mail.

                    So there is no confusion. I have one domain let's call it mydomain.com.
                    I have 3 servers. One is the relay server that intercepts all incoming
                    mail and filters out spam etc and the other two are mail servers located
                    at 1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2 which are the ultimate destination after the
                    relay server processes the e-mail.

                    I have the following entry in /etc/postfix/transports for the domain in
                    the relay server:

                    mydomain.com smtp:[1.1.1.1]

                    Most of the e-mail for that domain is of course relaying to the 1.1.1.1
                    server. However, there are some e-mail addresses on that domain that I
                    want to make an exception for and I need to relay the e-mail to 2.2.2.2
                    instead of 1.1.1.1. So, if we had a user called joe@... that
                    instead of relaying to 1.1.1.1 like normal, how would I input that entry
                    in etc/postfix/virtual to instead relay to the 2.2.2.2 server?

                    thanks in advance

                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 24, 2013
                      Deeztek.com Support:
                      > On 2/24/2013 8:19 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                      > > Someone:
                      > >> You can, but the bob entry is redundant. I don't recommend per-mailbox
                      > >> transport entries at all, it is best to stick to per-domain transport
                      > >> entries only, and handle per-user routing via virtual(5) alias rewriting.
                      > > Wietse:
                      > >> Typically this would be done with virtual aliases that send
                      > >> bob@... to bob@...
                      > > Deeztek.com Support:
                      > >> I cannot seem to find any reference to the format you have suggested
                      > >> above for the aliases file. I tried it as
                      > > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
                      > > virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
                      > >
                      > > /etc/postfix/virtual:
                      > > bob@... bob@...
                      > >
                      > > For example bob@[1.1.1.1]
                      > >
                      > > Wietse
                      > I tried it in the /etc/postfix/virtual file also with no success before
                      > I sent out the previous e-mail.
                      >
                      > So there is no confusion. I have one domain let's call it mydomain.com.
                      > I have 3 servers. One is the relay server that intercepts all incoming
                      > mail and filters out spam etc and the other two are mail servers located
                      > at 1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2 which are the ultimate destination after the
                      > relay server processes the e-mail.
                      >
                      > I have the following entry in /etc/postfix/transports for the domain in
                      > the relay server:
                      >
                      > mydomain.com smtp:[1.1.1.1]
                      >
                      > Most of the e-mail for that domain is of course relaying to the 1.1.1.1
                      > server. However, there are some e-mail addresses on that domain that I
                      > want to make an exception for and I need to relay the e-mail to 2.2.2.2
                      > instead of 1.1.1.1. So, if we had a user called joe@... that
                      > instead of relaying to 1.1.1.1 like normal, how would I input that entry
                      > in etc/postfix/virtual to instead relay to the 2.2.2.2 server?

                      /etc/postfix/main.cf:

                      /etc/postfix/virtual:
                      joe@... joe@[2.2.2.2]

                      Wietse

                    • Deeztek.com Support
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 24, 2013
                        On 2/24/2013 9:07 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                        > Deeztek.com Support:
                        > [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]
                        >> On 2/24/2013 8:19 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                        >>> Someone:
                        >>> Wietse:
                        >>> Deeztek.com Support:
                        >>> /etc/postfix/main.cf:
                        >>> virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
                        >>>
                        >>> /etc/postfix/virtual:
                        >>> bob@... bob@...
                        >>>
                        >>> For example bob@[1.1.1.1]
                        >>>
                        >>> Wietse
                        >> I tried it in the /etc/postfix/virtual file also with no success before
                        >> I sent out the previous e-mail.
                        >>
                        >> So there is no confusion. I have one domain let's call it mydomain.com.
                        >> I have 3 servers. One is the relay server that intercepts all incoming
                        >> mail and filters out spam etc and the other two are mail servers located
                        >> at 1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2 which are the ultimate destination after the
                        >> relay server processes the e-mail.
                        >>
                        >> I have the following entry in /etc/postfix/transports for the domain in
                        >> the relay server:
                        >>
                        >> mydomain.com smtp:[1.1.1.1]
                        >>
                        >> Most of the e-mail for that domain is of course relaying to the 1.1.1.1
                        >> server. However, there are some e-mail addresses on that domain that I
                        >> want to make an exception for and I need to relay the e-mail to 2.2.2.2
                        >> instead of 1.1.1.1. So, if we had a user called joe@... that
                        >> instead of relaying to 1.1.1.1 like normal, how would I input that entry
                        >> in etc/postfix/virtual to instead relay to the 2.2.2.2 server?
                        >
                        > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
                        > virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
                        >
                        > /etc/postfix/virtual:
                        > joe@... joe@[2.2.2.2]
                        >
                        > Wietse
                        Not working. The relay server completely ignores the virtual entry and
                        instead uses the transport relaying to the 1.1.1.1 server which of
                        course gives me the Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual
                        mailbox table error since the user doesn't exist on that server.
                        Additionally, there is no joe at the 2.2.2.2 server. There is
                        joe@... on 2.2.2.2 but not simply joe. Not sure if that makes a
                        difference as far as the virtual entry is concerned.

                        thanks

                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 24, 2013
                          Deeztek.com Support:
                          > >> Most of the e-mail for that domain is of course relaying to the 1.1.1.1
                          > >> server. However, there are some e-mail addresses on that domain that I
                          > >> want to make an exception for and I need to relay the e-mail to 2.2.2.2
                          > >> instead of 1.1.1.1. So, if we had a user called joe@... that
                          > >> instead of relaying to 1.1.1.1 like normal, how would I input that entry
                          > >> in etc/postfix/virtual to instead relay to the 2.2.2.2 server?
                          > >
                          > > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
                          > > virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
                          > >
                          > > /etc/postfix/virtual:
                          > > joe@... joe@[2.2.2.2]
                          > >
                          > > Wietse
                          > Not working. The relay server completely ignores the virtual entry and
                          > instead uses the transport relaying to the 1.1.1.1 server which of

                          Then you made a mistake. Please double check what you do.

                          $ postmap -q joe@... /etc/postfix/virtual

                          Wietse
                        • Deeztek.com Support
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 24, 2013
                            On 2/24/2013 10:19 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                            > Deeztek.com Support:
                            >>> /etc/postfix/main.cf:
                            >>> virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
                            >>>
                            >>> /etc/postfix/virtual:
                            >>> joe@... joe@[2.2.2.2]
                            >>>
                            >>> Wietse
                            >> Not working. The relay server completely ignores the virtual entry and
                            >> instead uses the transport relaying to the 1.1.1.1 server which of
                            > Then you made a mistake. Please double check what you do.
                            >
                            > $ postmap -q joe@... /etc/postfix/virtual
                            >
                            > Wietse
                            this is the error I'm getting from the logs:

                            Feb 24 10:30:30 smtp postfix/smtp[6526]: 8A79342089: to=<joe@[2.2.2.2]>,
                            orig_to=<joe@...>, relay=2.2.2.2[2.2.2.2]:25, delay=5.3,
                            delays=0.17/0/0.03/5, dsn=5.1.3, status=bounced (host 2.2.2.2[2.2.2.2]
                            said: 501 5.1.3 Invalid address (in reply to RCPT TO command))

                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 24, 2013
                              Deeztek.com Support:
                              > On 2/24/2013 10:19 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                              > > Deeztek.com Support:

                              > >> Not working. The relay server completely ignores the virtual entry and
                              > >> instead uses the transport relaying to the 1.1.1.1 server which of
                              > > Then you made a mistake. Please double check what you do.
                              > >
                              > > $ postmap -q joe@... /etc/postfix/virtual
                              > >
                              > > Wietse
                              > this is the error I'm getting from the logs:
                              >
                              > Feb 24 10:30:30 smtp postfix/smtp[6526]: 8A79342089: to=<joe@[2.2.2.2]>,
                              > orig_to=<joe@...>, relay=2.2.2.2[2.2.2.2]:25, delay=5.3,
                              > delays=0.17/0/0.03/5, dsn=5.1.3, status=bounced (host 2.2.2.2[2.2.2.2]
                              > said: 501 5.1.3 Invalid address (in reply to RCPT TO command))

                              The machine does not implement RFC 5321. I can't fix that for you.