public versus private

    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 22, 2013
      Viktor Dukhovni:
      > All delivery agents are "private" while "pickup", "qmgr", "flush"
      > and "showq" are "public" to support postdrop(1) and postqueue(1)
      > and their sendmail(1) interfaces. Almost everything else is private,
      > except for cleanup(8) which AFAIK is public only for historical
      > reasons.

      This was changed from "private" into "public", so that postdrop
      could directly submit mail into cleanup, using the maildrop directory
      only as a fall-back mechanism in case cleanup transaction failed.
      Recovering from all possible failure modes is complicated and I did
      not get around to write that code (and there are few people who I
      would trust to write it).