Re: Question about supporting EAI in postfix

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
      Jose Borges Ferreira:
      [about sending 8-bit envelope into non-UTF8SMTP MTA]

      > Is this the expected behaviour ? shouldn't the local part ( jos? ) be
      > forbidden ? Is there a way sanitize the address ?

      Postfix currently does not announce UTF8SMTP support. Therefore, a
      client that sends 8-bit addresses violates SMTP. Just like a client
      that sends 8-bit message content without negotiating 8BITMIME.

      The behavior for out-of-spec input is undefined. Postfix will
      usually try to deliver it as is (and can often be configgured to
      reject it). I can promise only that out-of-spec input will not
      result in a security exploit in Postfix itself.

      To reject 8-bit addresses you'd need a PRCE or REGEXP pattern.

      Cleaning up 8-bit addresses belongs in the client; it should not
      send 8-bit addresses unless the server announces support for that.