Re: Question about supporting EAI in postfix

  • Jose Borges Ferreira
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
      After reading this email i was under the impression that Postfix wont
      deal with UTF8 email addresses and made the test to check it out.
      Test was made with Postfix Version: 2.9.3-2~12.04.4 ( default config
      included in Ubuntu server 12.04)

      220 lab10.anubis.via ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)
      HELO lab16
      250 lab10
      MAIL FROM: <>
      250 2.1.0 Ok
      RCPT TO: <josé@lab10>
      250 2.1.5 Ok
      DATA
      354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
      Subject: teste 123

      Helooo!
      .
      250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as EA666700677
      QUIT
      221 2.0.0 Bye

      Is this the expected behaviour ? shouldn't the local part ( josé ) be
      forbidden ? Is there a way sanitize the address ?

      José Borges Ferreira

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
        Jose Borges Ferreira:
        [about sending 8-bit envelope into non-UTF8SMTP MTA]

        > Is this the expected behaviour ? shouldn't the local part ( jos? ) be
        > forbidden ? Is there a way sanitize the address ?

        Postfix currently does not announce UTF8SMTP support. Therefore, a
        client that sends 8-bit addresses violates SMTP. Just like a client
        that sends 8-bit message content without negotiating 8BITMIME.

        The behavior for out-of-spec input is undefined. Postfix will
        usually try to deliver it as is (and can often be configgured to
        reject it). I can promise only that out-of-spec input will not
        result in a security exploit in Postfix itself.

        To reject 8-bit addresses you'd need a PRCE or REGEXP pattern.

        Cleaning up 8-bit addresses belongs in the client; it should not
        send 8-bit addresses unless the server announces support for that.