Re: setting up postscreen on a system with multiple external interfaces

  • Erik Slagter
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
      On 21-02-13 19:30, Noel Jones wrote:

      > You've shared too much. By now no one has any idea what you're doing.

      I'm just following the "REPORT A PROBLEM" procedure I was kindly pointed
      at...

      > When postscreen decides to pass the connection to smtpd, postscreen
      > is no longer involved, and smtpd has no knowledge of what transpired
      > between postscreen and a client.

      Yes at this point the smtpd/master has no knowledge of the
      interface/address, that's exactly the thing I fear.

      > At some point you reported:
      > [ .. ]
      >> -o postscreen_tls_security_level=may
      >> -o tlsproxy_tls_security_level=may
      >
      > both these belong in main.cf, or better, set main.cf:
      > "smtpd_security_level = may" and leave these at their defaults.

      Tried both, doesn't matter. The thing is that what way you set the smtpd
      options (in main.cf) you cannot override them with postscreen. So if you
      set the default value suitable for address a and b, they must be
      override for address c and d and vv. Yes, I have some internal address
      that need to have tls_security=none and yes, that works like a charm
      without postscreen enabled.

      >> -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv4
      >
      > The cache map parameter belongs in main.cf. Probably a mistake to
      > create separate caches.

      Nope, the cache map cannot be shared between two smtpd processes (see
      documentation ;-)). It's not a problem though, because one db holds ipv4
      addresses and the other is ipv6 addresses.

      > For the TLS part, it will be much easier to turn TLS on in main.cf,
      > then turn it off on the interfaces where you don't want to offer it
      > with "-o smtpd_tls_security_level=none".

      All relevant options for tls are actually set in main.cf. It's only that
      it's not enabled there, it's enabled on a per-address base. Which works.

      > For the greeting banners, set them as macros in main.cf and then
      > refer to them by $name in master.cf

      That's a possibility, but it's not necessary and doesn't solve the problem.

      > Now tell postscreen which ports to listen on and to enable the banner:
      >
      > # master.cf
      >
      > mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
      > -o postscreen_greet_banner=$postscreen_greet_v4
      >
      > mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
      > -o postscreen_greet_banner=$postscreen_greet_v6
      >
      > Next we tell smtpd to get it's connections from postscreen.
      > On your existing "smtp ... smtpd" entries where you want postscreen,
      > change the "smtp inet n" part to "smtp pass -"
      > This is described in detail in
      > http://www.postfix.org/POSTSCREEN_README.html#config
      >
      > so your existing entry:
      >> mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
      >
      > would become:
      > mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp pass - - n - 2 smtpd

      I get your drift, but IIRC I already tried this (multiple times, with
      slight variations) and also reported about the outcoming of that:
      "fatal: address already in use".

      Did I already mention I have followed all the steps from the README as
      closely as possible?
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
        On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 05:46:26PM +0100, Erik Slagter wrote:

        > Another variation I tried ("pass" and "postscreen" the other way
        > around). This works, but gives the original problem, the smtpd
        > options are not honoured (especially banner and starttls="may"),
        > even though I set both:

        Take a DEEP breath, relax and don't *try* implementing new
        configurations you don't yet understand. The shots in the dark will
        just get you more confused.

        It is time to try to *understand*.

        1. A running Postfix instance is a collection of separate background
        services (daemons) launched by an inetd-like service supervisor known
        as "master. These services run independently in separate processes
        and communicate with each other using unix-domain sockets.

        They are configured either via main.cf (best practice) or via
        master.cf "-o parameter=$value" overrides (when you must).

        The MOST important thing you need to understand about this is:

        Adding "-o FOO=BAR" to the master.cf entry for SERVICEA has
        NO EFFECT on the value of FOO in SERVICEB!

        Even when the MESSAGE is passed from SERVICEA to SERVICEB the
        parameter settings ARE NOT.

        Thus when you convert an existing "smtpd" entry to a "postscreen"
        entry, it is a grave mistake to leave the "smtpd" (-o options)
        that tune the functionality of smtpd attached to the "postscreen"
        service. It (postscreen) won't care and the destination "smtpd"
        to which the message is handed off will no longer know the parameters.

        2. To provide multiple smtpd personalities, you need to implement multiple
        "smtpd" services each with their own settings. (As you do when smtpd
        listens directly on an "inet" socket).

        3. To implement 2. with postscreen, each "inet" listening postscreen
        (with settings relevant for postscreen) must hand the message off
        to an "smtpd" appropriate for its listening IP address.

        4. Therefore, you need multiple "smtpd" "pass" services for "postscreen"
        to hand the connection to. The postscreen(8) manual page refers you to

        http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_service_name

        which must specify the service name of a "pass" entry in master.cf,
        you need one of these for each distinct postscreen instance.

        192.0.2.1:25 inet ... postscreen
        -o smtpd_service_name=25@192.0.2.1
        -o <postscreen-related-settings> ...
        25@192.0.2.1 pass ... smtpd
        -o <smtpd-related-settings> ...

        Lather, rinse, repeat:

        192.0.2.1:587 inet ... postscreen
        -o smtpd_service_name=587@192.0.2.1
        -o <postscreen-related-settings> ...
        587@192.0.2.1 pass ... smtpd
        -o <smtpd-related-settings> ...

        Lather, rinse, repeat:

        192.0.2.2:25 inet ... postscreen
        -o smtpd_service_name=25@192.0.2.2
        -o <postscreen-related-settings> ...
        25@192.0.2.2 pass ... smtpd
        -o <smtpd-related-settings> ...

        Lather, rinse, repeat:

        192.0.2.3:25 inet ... postscreen
        -o smtpd_service_name=25@192.0.2.3
        -o <postscreen-related-settings> ...
        25@192.0.3.2 pass ... smtpd
        -o <smtpd-related-settings> ...

        ... but do stop eventually ... :-)

      • Erik Slagter
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 22, 2013
          On 21-02-13 20:07, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

          > [ ... ] (lot of patronising text removed)

          > 4. Therefore, you need multiple "smtpd" "pass" services for "postscreen"
          > to hand the connection to. The postscreen(8) manual page refers you to
          >
          > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_service_name
          >
          > which must specify the service name of a "pass" entry in master.cf,
          > you need one of these for each distinct postscreen instance.

          And THAT is exactly the clue I was looking for! It works!

          The only thing that would have to be in the README file is the need to
          use "smtpd service names" in case of multiple smtp listeners, point to
          http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_service_name and then add a
          bit of really helpful text to the current one:

          "The internal service that postscreen(8) hands off allowed connections
          to. In a future version there may be different classes of SMTP service."

          If you google for this command, you'll get references to either this
          text or this thread :-(

          So for other people seeking to do the same, this does the trick, it's
          also simple once you know, the "service" parameter of a "pass" service
          is not an address:portno combo but an identifier:

          #
          # outside -> inside
          # postfix(25) -> amavis(10025)
          #

          mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
          -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv4
          -o
          postscreen_greet_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-mx1-postscreen-1-ppp0-ipv4-25
          -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-mx1-postscreen-2-ppp0-ipv4-25
          -o postscreen_tls_security_level=none
          -o smtpd_service_name=mx1_ipv4

          mx1_ipv4 pass - - n - - smtpd
          -o myhostname=mx1.slagter.name
          -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv4-25
          -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may
          -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025 # amavis

          mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
          -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv6
          -o
          postscreen_greet_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-mx1-postscreen-1-ppp0-ipv6-25
          -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-mx1-postscreen-2-ppp0-ipv6-25
          -o postscreen_tls_security_level=none
          -o smtpd_service_name=mx1_ipv6

          mx1_ipv6 pass - - n - - smtpd
          -o myhostname=mx1.slagter.name
          -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv6-25
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 22, 2013
            On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:04:34AM +0100, Erik Slagter wrote:

            First, a quick comment, all of the sturm and drang in this thread
            is the result of a peculiar reluctance of most users to heed the
            advice in MULTI_INSTANCE_README and simplify their configurations
            by handling each distinct message flow in a separate Postfix
            instance, each of which can be configured with few if any master.cf
            tweaks, and understood and maintained much more easily.

            A combination of MULTI_INSTANCE_README and POSTSCREEN_README would
            get you there much more quickly, and even allow simpler configuration
            of cases where identical policies apply to multiple protocol:address
            endpoints, since you can just set inet_interfaces in main.cf to list
            one or more network addresses for a given instance.

            I strongly recommend that you take the time to refactor your
            configuration to separate each flow into its own queue. The initial
            investment of time pays off quickly in easier to manage configurations
            and operational support (e.g. separate queues make it easier to
            see which flow is having problems).

            > On 21-02-13 20:07, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
            >
            > > [ ... ] (lot of patronising text removed)

            Text that is required background knowledge to understand what
            follows, misconstrued to be patronizing rather than emphatic. Chill
            man, the blustery tone of this thread is mostly the result of your
            reticense to (AFAIK you never did) post the actual master.cf
            configuration that failed to meet your expectations. You should
            probably also not have included the text below in the initial post:

            The options (-o) that I specify on the various per-interface
            smtpd instances are NOT honoured anymore. ...

            Is this intentional? A know[n] bug? ...

            I must say the "howto" isn't very clear on this matter, it assumes you
            only have only one external interface.

            This is rude to the developers who take great pains to make Postfix
            unusually robust and well documented. The "patronising" text is
            sufficient to logically deduce that (and why) you need multiple
            smtpd "pass" services, at which point one looks for a parameter to
            specify the pass service, and finds it (in this case clustered
            sub-optimally with unrelated settings, we'll fix that) in the postscreen(8)
            manpage.

            If Wietse is still reading this, we should move "smtpd_service_name"
            to its ownn section nearer the top of the postscreen(8) manpage.

            Fortunately, the parameter name is just what you'd expect if you've
            ever seen "cleanup_service_name" which plays the same role one
            handoff downstream.

            > >4. Therefore, you need multiple "smtpd" "pass" services for "postscreen"
            > > to hand the connection to. The postscreen(8) manual page refers you to
            > >
            > > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_service_name
            > >
            > > which must specify the service name of a "pass" entry in master.cf,
            > > you need one of these for each distinct postscreen instance.
            >
            > And THAT is exactly the clue I was looking for! It works!

            Naturally, since it is simply a logical consequence of understanding
            the patronising text. :-) Perhaps some people even spotted the
            transposition error in the last "Lather, rinse, repeat" example.
            (It has been observed that students pay more attention to technical
            books that contain minor errors that require them to pause and
            think, and that they learn more from these than from polished
            material that requires less attention).

            [
            Plus the fact that "unix" and "pass" service names are just file
            names in /var/spool/postfix/private/ which I started to describe
            in my first post, but decided to keep it more concise in the hope
            that this will be apparent from context.

            The master.cf services live in one of three namespaces:

            - inet/public (inet can't be private).

            - unix/public

            - unix/private

            Each of the "unix" cases subsumes "unix", "fifo" and "pass" since these
            all are accessed via paths in /var/spool/postfix/{public,private}.

            All delivery agents are "private" while "pickup", "qmgr", "flush"
            and "showq" are "public" to support postdrop(1) and postqueue(1)
            and their sendmail(1) interfaces. Almost everything else is private,
            except for cleanup(8) which AFAIK is public only for historical
            reasons.
            ]

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 22, 2013
              Viktor Dukhovni:
              > All delivery agents are "private" while "pickup", "qmgr", "flush"
              > and "showq" are "public" to support postdrop(1) and postqueue(1)
              > and their sendmail(1) interfaces. Almost everything else is private,
              > except for cleanup(8) which AFAIK is public only for historical
              > reasons.

              This was changed from "private" into "public", so that postdrop
              could directly submit mail into cleanup, using the maildrop directory
              only as a fall-back mechanism in case cleanup transaction failed.
              Recovering from all possible failure modes is complicated and I did
              not get around to write that code (and there are few people who I
              would trust to write it).