Re: setting up postscreen on a system with multiple external interfaces

  • Erik Slagter
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
      On 21-02-13 15:29, DTNX Postmaster wrote:
      >> See above, SMTP welcome string. Which I added as an option to both the
      >> smtpd and the postscreen line... None of them were honoured.
      >
      > Postscreen has its own set of options. Read the documentation;
      > http://www.postfix.org/postscreen.8.html

      man postscreen.

      The postscreen (and fwiw tslproxy) has it's own set of options which
      are... by default... copied from the standard smtpd_* options!

      Also tried it with setting these options explicitly (with no success),
      but didn't want to flood information.

      > Also, avoid trying to 'optimize' for cosmetic reasons. Things like the
      > welcome string are generally only seen by machines, have no impact on
      > the operation of the mail server in general, and so on. But if you
      > cannot resist doing so, this may be what you are looking for;
      >
      > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#postscreen_greet_banner

      The welcome string is very important for me, because, as may be obvious
      now, that's a very quick way to check if per-interface settings are
      honoured. This is completely NOT about the welcome string on itself,
      it's about per-interface options not being honoured, so I end up without
      TLS support on the outside interface, whilst if I disable postscreen, it
      simply works!

      The only thing I need is an example of a master.cf file where postfix
      listens on various interfaces with different options, and then the same
      with postscreen enabled and still working (i.e. the per-interface smtpd
      options are honoured).

      Or a good explanation of the workflow of postscreen, a.o. what the two
      "example" lines in the README actually do, so I can adapt that to my
      situation.

      Thx.
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
        Erik Slagter:
        > I tried another variant:
        >
        > 192.168.0.1:smtp inet ... postscreen
        > -o options...
        >
        > 192.168.0.1:pass inet ... smtpd
        > -o options...

        If you don't show the exact options and the exact logging
        then no-one can say what mistake YOU are making.

        Wietse
      • Erik Slagter
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
          On 21-02-13 15:50, Wietse Venema wrote:
          > Erik Slagter:
          >> I tried another variant:
          >>
          >> 192.168.0.1:smtp inet ... postscreen
          >> -o options...
          >>
          >> 192.168.0.1:pass inet ... smtpd
          >> -o options...
          >
          > If you don't show the exact options and the exact logging
          > then no-one can say what mistake YOU are making.

          Okay, I didn't post the complete master.cf because I thought it wouldn't
          be necessary, so here it comes. This is the "plain" version that works,
          without postscreen enabled. If somebody can explain to me how to
          transform this into something working with postscreen enabled AND TLS
          working on the outside interface (ppp0, ipv4 and ipv6), I'd be very
          grateful, but really I've tried various approaches without luck.
          Postscreen on itself is working fine, btw.

          # ==========================================================================
          # service type private unpriv chroot wakeup maxproc command + args
          # (yes) (yes) (yes) (never) (100)
          # ==========================================================================

          #smtp inet n - n - 1 smtpd
          #smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
          #smtpd pass - - n - - smtpd
          #dnsblog unix - - n - 0 dnsblog
          #tlsproxy unix - - n - 0 tlsproxy

          #
          # outside -> inside
          # postfix(25) -> amavis(10025)
          #

          mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
          -o myhostname=eriks.xs4all.nl
          -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv4-25
          -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may
          -o postscreen_tls_security_level=may
          -o tlsproxy_tls_security_level=may
          -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025
          -o soft_bounce=no
          -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv4

          mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
          -o myhostname=mx1.ipv6.slagter.name
          -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv6-25
          -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may
          -o postscreen_tls_security_level=may
          -o tlsproxy_tls_security_level=may
          -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025
          -o soft_bounce=no
          -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv6

          #
          # amavis(10025) -> postfix(10026)
          #

          nemesis.ipv4:10026 inet n - n - 2 smtpd
          -o
          receive_override_options=no_unknown_recipient_checks,no_header_body_checks
          -o body_checks=
          -o header_checks=
          -o myhostname=nemesis.slagter.name
          -o smtp_helo_name=nemesis.slagter.name
          -o smtpd_banner=nemesis.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-lo-ipv4-10026
          -o smtpd_client_restrictions=
          -o smtpd_authorized_xforward_hosts=10.1.1.1

          #
          # postfix(25) -> dkimproxy(11025)
          #

          nemesis.ipv4:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
          -o body_checks=
          -o header_checks=
          -o myhostname=nemesis.slagter.name
          -o smtp_helo_name=nemesis.slagter.name
          -o smtpd_banner=nemesis.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-eth0-ipv4-25
          -o mynetworks=127.0.0.0/8
          -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:11025

          nemesis.ipv6:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
          -o body_checks=
          -o header_checks=
          -o myhostname=nemesis.slagter.name
          -o smtp_helo_name=nemesis.slagter.name
          -o smtpd_banner=nemesis.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-eth0-ipv6-25
          -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:11025

          #
          # dkimproxy(11025) -> postfix(11026)
          #

          nemesis.ipv4:11026 inet n - n - 2 smtpd
          -o
          receive_override_options=no_unknown_recipient_checks,no_header_body_checks
          -o body_checks=
          -o header_checks=
          -o myhostname=nemesis.slagter.name
          -o smtp_helo_name=nemesis.slagter.name
          -o smtpd_banner=nemesis.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-lo-ipv4-11026
          -o smtpd_client_restrictions=
          -o smtpd_authorized_xforward_hosts=10.1.1.1

          #
          # locally generated
          #

          #localhost.ipv4:smtp inet n - n - - postscreen
          localhost.ipv4:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
          -o body_checks=
          -o header_checks=
          -o myhostname=nemesis.slagter.name
          -o smtp_helo_name=nemesis.slagter.name
          -o smtpd_banner=nemesis.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-lo-ipv4-25
          -o mynetworks=127.0.0.0/8

          #nemesis.ipv4:smtp inet n - n - - postscreen
          nemesis.ipv4:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
          -o body_checks=
          -o header_checks=
          -o myhostname=nemesis.slagter.name
          -o smtp_helo_name=nemesis.slagter.name
          -o smtpd_banner=nemesis.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-vlan2-alt-ipv4-25
          -o mynetworks=10.0.2.0/24

          ::1:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
          -o body_checks=
          -o header_checks=
          -o myhostname=nemesis.slagter.name
          -o smtp_helo_name=nemesis.slagter.name
          -o smtpd_banner=nemesis.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-lo-ipv6-25

          pickup fifo n - n 60 1 pickup
          cleanup unix n - n - 0 cleanup
          qmgr fifo n - n 300 1 qmgr
          tlsmgr unix - - n 1000? 1 tlsmgr
          rewrite unix - - n - - trivial-rewrite
          bounce unix - - n - 0 bounce
          defer unix - - n - 0 bounce
          trace unix - - n - 0 bounce
          verify unix - - n - 1 verify
          flush unix n - n 1000? 0 flush
          proxymap unix - - n - - proxymap
          smtp unix - - n - - smtp
          relay unix - - n - - smtp -o
          smtp_helo_timeout=5 -o smtp_connect_timeout=5
          showq unix n - n - - showq
          error unix - - n - - error
          local unix - n n - - local
          virtual unix - n n - - virtual
          lmtp unix - - n - - lmtp
          anvil unix - - n - 1 anvil

          smtp-inside unix - - n - - smtp
          -o myhostname=nemesis.slagter.name
          -o smtp_helo_name=nemesis.slagter.name
          -o smtp_bind_address6=2001:980:5fef:1::1

          smtp-default unix - - n - - smtp
          -o myhostname=eriks.xs4all.nl
          -o smtp_helo_name=eriks.xs4all.nl
          -o smtp_bind_address6=2001:980:5fef::1
          -o smtp_tls_security_level=may
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
            Erik Slagter:
            > On 21-02-13 15:50, Wietse Venema wrote:
            > > Erik Slagter:
            > >> I tried another variant:
            > >>
            > >> 192.168.0.1:smtp inet ... postscreen
            > >> -o options...
            > >>
            > >> 192.168.0.1:pass inet ... smtpd
            > >> -o options...
            > >
            > > If you don't show the exact options and the exact logging
            > > then no-one can say what mistake YOU are making.
            >
            > Okay, I didn't post the complete master.cf because I thought it wouldn't
            > be necessary, so here it comes. This is the "plain" version that works,
            > without postscreen enabled. If somebody can explain to me how to

            Thank you for using Postfix.
          • Erik Slagter
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
              On 21-02-13 16:16, Wietse Venema wrote:
              > Erik Slagter:
              > TO REPORT A PROBLEM see http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
              > TO (UN)SUBSCRIBE see http://www.postfix.org/lists.html
              > Thank you for using Postfix.

              And I always thought I could be blunt at moments ;-)

              PROBLEM (apparently this is a "problem")

              * Summary

              Setting up postscreen on a system with multiple external interfaces
              causes per-interface smtpd options not to be honoured

              * Complete error messages

              None.

              * Postfix logging

              None relevant (really! the logging is exactly the same for postscreen
              and non-postscreen operation, up to the problem the problem occurs).

              * Postconf -n

              alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
              alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
              allow_mail_to_commands = alias,forward
              allow_mail_to_files = alias,forward
              append_at_myorigin = yes
              append_dot_mydomain = yes
              command_time_limit = 300
              config_directory = /etc/postfix
              data_directory = /var/lib/postfix
              default_privs = amavis
              default_transport = smtp-default
              delay_warning_time = 4
              fast_flush_domains = $mydomain
              inet_protocols = ipv6 ipv4
              local_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
              local_transport = local
              mail_owner = postfix
              mailbox_size_limit = 0
              masquerade_domains = $mydomain
              masquerade_exceptions = root
              maximal_backoff_time = 1h
              maximal_queue_lifetime = 21d
              message_size_limit = 100000000
              minimal_backoff_time = 2m
              mydestination = nemesis.slagter.name, eriks.xs4all.nl, $myhostname,
              localhost.$mydomain, localhost
              mydomain = slagter.name
              myhostname = nemesis.slagter.name
              mynetworks = 10.0.0.0/8, 127.0.0.0/8, [2001:980:5fef::]/48 [::1]/128
              [fe80::]/10
              myorigin = $mydomain
              notify_classes = bounce,2bounce,data,delay,resource,software
              postscreen_access_list = permit_mynetworks,
              cidr:/etc/postfix/postscreen_access.cidr
              postscreen_bare_newline_action = enforce
              postscreen_bare_newline_enable = yes
              postscreen_blacklist_action = enforce
              postscreen_cache_retention_time = 30d
              postscreen_greet_action = enforce
              postscreen_greet_banner = $smtpd_banner postscreen
              postscreen_greet_ttl = 1h
              postscreen_greet_wait = 2s
              postscreen_non_smtp_command_action = enforce
              postscreen_non_smtp_command_enable = yes
              postscreen_pipelining_enable = yes
              queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
              queue_minfree = 0
              queue_run_delay = 5m
              recipient_delimiter = +
              relay_domains = slagter.name, erikslag@..., eriks.xs4all.nl
              setgid_group = postdrop
              smtp_helo_name = eriks.xs4all.nl
              smtp_send_xforward_command = yes
              smtp_tls_block_early_mail_reply = yes
              smtp_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/mx1_slagter_name_all_crt.pem
              smtp_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/mx1_slagter_name_key.pem
              smtp_tls_loglevel = 1
              smtp_tls_security_level = none
              smtpd_authorized_xforward_hosts = 127.0.0.0/8,10.1.0.0/16,10.0.0.0/16
              smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name
              smtpd_client_restrictions = permit
              smtpd_delay_reject = no
              smtpd_etrn_restrictions = permit
              smtpd_helo_required = yes
              smtpd_helo_restrictions = permit
              smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_recipient
              reject_unauth_destination check_recipient_access
              hash:/etc/postfix/local_users permit
              smtpd_sender_restrictions = permit
              smtpd_tls_ask_ccert = yes
              smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/mx1_slagter_name_all_crt.pem
              smtpd_tls_dh1024_param_file = /etc/postfix/dh_1024.pem
              smtpd_tls_dh512_param_file = /etc/postfix/dh_512.pem
              smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/mx1_slagter_name_key.pem
              smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
              smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
              smtpd_tls_req_ccert = no
              smtpd_tls_security_level = none
              strict_rfc821_envelopes = no
              tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom

              * Postfinger

              ostfinger - postfix configuration on do feb 21 16:32:28 CET 2013
              version: 1.30

              Warning: postfinger output may show private configuration information,
              such as ip addresses and/or domain names which you do not want to show
              to the public. If this is the case it is your responsibility to modify
              the output to hide this private information. [Remove this warning with
              the --nowarn option.]

              --System Parameters--
              mail_version = 2.9.4
              hostname = nemesis
              uname = Linux nemesis 3.5.3 #1 SMP Thu Aug 30 18:52:19 CEST 2012 x86_64
              x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

              --Packaging information--
              looks like this postfix comes from RPM package: postfix-2.9.4-2.fc17.x86_64

              --main.cf non-default parameters--
[...]

              --master.cf--
[...]

              -- end of postfinger output --

              * All other paragraphs are not relevant.

              Thank you for your attention.
            • Reindl Harald
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                Am 21.02.2013 16:35, schrieb Erik Slagter:

                > mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                > -o myhostname=eriks.xs4all.nl
                > -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv4-25
                > -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may
                > -o postscreen_tls_security_level=may
                > -o tlsproxy_tls_security_level=may
                > -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025
                > -o soft_bounce=no
                > -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv4

                and how should this be supposed to use postscreen
                with "smtpd" instead of "postscreen" as command?
              • Erik Slagter
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                  If I set up postscreen as closely as possible to the postscreen README
                  document, I get this (diff to previous message) (I'm sorry lots of it
                  has been folded). The log says "address already in use for 10.1.1.1",
                  this is interesting because none of the changes involved 10.1.1.1.

                  --- a 2013-02-21 16:37:18.348109048 +0100
                  +++ b 2013-02-21 17:25:24.337265305 +0100
                  @@ -8,7 +8,7 @@

                  * Postfix logging

                  -None relevant (really! the logging is exactly the same for postscreen
                  and non-postscreen operation, up to the problem the problem occurs).
                  +Feb 21 16:46:03 nemesis-vlan1 postfix/master[28268]: fatal: bind
                  10.1.1.1 port 25: Address already in use

                  * Postconf -n

                  @@ -93,7 +93,7 @@

                  * Postfinger

                  -Postfinger - postfix configuration on do feb 21 16:32:28 CET 2013
                  +postfinger - postfix configuration on do feb 21 17:24:49 CET 2013
                  version: 1.30

                  Warning: postfinger output may show private configuration information,
                  @@ -178,7 +178,10 @@

                  --master.cf--
                  -mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                  +smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
                  +dnsblog unix - - n - 0 dnsblog
                  +tlsproxy unix - - n - 0 tlsproxy
                  +mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp pass n - n - 2 smtpd
                  @@ -187,7 +190,7 @@
                  -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025
                  -o soft_bounce=no
                  -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv4
                  -mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                  +mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp pass n - n - 2 smtpd
                  -o myhostname=mx1.ipv6.slagter.name
                  -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv6-25
                  -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may
                  @@ -288,3 +291,6 @@
                  -- end of postfinger output --
                • Erik Slagter
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                    Another variation I tried ("pass" and "postscreen" the other way
                    around). This works, but gives the original problem, the smtpd options
                    are not honoured (especially banner and starttls="may"), even though I
                    set both:

                    -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may
                    -o postscreen_tls_security_level=may

                    Output of postfinger, diff to first non-postscreen config:

                    --- a 2013-02-21 17:35:41.568369098 +0100
                    +++ c 2013-02-21 17:38:58.274633686 +0100
                    @@ -1,4 +1,4 @@
                    -Postfinger - postfix configuration on do feb 21 16:32:28 CET 2013
                    +postfinger - postfix configuration on do feb 21 17:38:58 CET 2013
                    version: 1.30

                    Warning: postfinger output may show private configuration information,
                    @@ -83,7 +83,10 @@

                    --master.cf--
                    -mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                    +smtpd pass - - n - - smtpd
                    +dnsblog unix - - n - 0 dnsblog
                    +tlsproxy unix - - n - 0 tlsproxy
                    +mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 postscreen
                    @@ -92,7 +95,7 @@
                    -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025
                    -o soft_bounce=no
                    -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv4
                    -mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                    +mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp pass n - n - 2 postscreen
                    -o myhostname=mx1.ipv6.slagter.name
                    -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv6-25
                    -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may

                    * Log output

                    Feb 21 17:42:40 nemesis-vlan1 postfix/master[4547]: daemon started --
                    version 2.9.4, configuration /etc/postfix
                    Feb 21 17:42:42 nemesis-vlan1 postfix/postscreen[4553]: CONNECT from
                    [10.1.1.5]:49309 to [83.163.214.71]:25
                    Feb 21 17:42:42 nemesis-vlan1 postfix/postscreen[4553]: WHITELISTED
                    [10.1.1.5]:49309
                    Feb 21 17:42:42 nemesis-vlan1 postfix/postscreen[4553]: cache
                    btree:/var/lib/postfix/postscreen_cache-ipv4 full cleanup: retained=5
                    dropped=0 entries
                    Feb 21 17:42:42 nemesis-vlan1 postfix/smtpd[4554]: connect from
                    eos.ipv4.slagter.name[10.1.1.5]
                    Feb 21 17:42:50 nemesis-vlan1 postfix/smtpd[4554]: disconnect from
                    eos.ipv4.slagter.name[10.1.1.5]
                  • Reindl Harald
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                      Am 21.02.2013 17:46, schrieb Erik Slagter:
                      > Another variation I tried ("pass" and "postscreen" the other way around). This works, but gives the original
                      > problem, the smtpd options are not honoured (especially banner and starttls="may"), even though I set both:

                      postscreen != smtpd so why should it do so?
                      http://www.postfix.org/postscreen.8.html

                      The Postfix postscreen(8) server provides additional pro-
                      tection against mail server overload. One postscreen(8)
                      process handles multiple inbound SMTP connections, and
                      decides which clients may talk to a Postfix SMTP server
                      process.
                    • Erik Slagter
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                        On 21-02-13 16:45, Reindl Harald wrote:
                        > Am 21.02.2013 16:35, schrieb Erik Slagter:
                        >
                        >> mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                        >> [ ... ]

                        > and how should this be supposed to use postscreen
                        > with "smtpd" instead of "postscreen" as command?

                        Interesting how anybody is keen on telling me I am doing it wrong, which
                        I sort of already had figured because it doesn't work... On the other
                        hand nobody has given a hint on how to do it "right" then.

                        Likewise people pointing me to the postscreen HOWTO, which I've been
                        reading numerous times now and really does _not_ give an answer to this
                        problem.

                        >> mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                        >> [ ... ]

                        > and how should this be supposed to use postscreen
                        > with "smtpd" instead of "postscreen" as command?

                        Well don't ask me, I don't know, I am just trying "everything" because
                        the documentation doesn't tell me how to do it?
                      • DTNX Postmaster
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                          On Feb 21, 2013, at 18:28, Erik Slagter <erik@...> wrote:

                          > On 21-02-13 16:45, Reindl Harald wrote:
                          >> Am 21.02.2013 16:35, schrieb Erik Slagter:
                          >>
                          >>> mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                          > >> [ ... ]
                          >
                          >> and how should this be supposed to use postscreen
                          >> with "smtpd" instead of "postscreen" as command?
                          >
                          > Interesting how anybody is keen on telling me I am doing it wrong, which I sort of already had figured because it doesn't work... On the other hand nobody has given a hint on how to do it "right" then.
                          >
                          > Likewise people pointing me to the postscreen HOWTO, which I've been reading numerous times now and really does _not_ give an answer to this problem.
                          >
                          > >> mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                          > >> [ ... ]
                          >
                          > > and how should this be supposed to use postscreen
                          > > with "smtpd" instead of "postscreen" as command?
                          >
                          > Well don't ask me, I don't know, I am just trying "everything" because the documentation doesn't tell me how to do it?

                          You keep blaming the documentation and the software, when the problem
                          is most likely in your understanding of it.

                          Simplify your configuration. Don't assume that what goes for 'smtpd'
                          goes for 'postscreen' as well. Pick sensible defaults for 'main.cf',
                          and override only the options that are absolutely necessary.

                          If you have a legitimate reason (as in, contractual obligations or
                          whatnot) to require seperate hostnames, greetings, TLS settings and
                          such, use the multi-instance features and seperate them. Otherwise the
                          KISS principle applies.

                          Cya,
                          Jona
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                            On 2/21/2013 10:46 AM, Erik Slagter wrote:
                            > Another variation I tried ("pass" and "postscreen" the other way
                            > around).

                            You've shared too much. By now no one has any idea what you're doing.

                            Overview:

                            Postscreen is a front-end listener for smtpd. It's not a proxy.
                            Incoming connections are handled by postscreen until postscreen
                            either decides it's clean and passes the connection endpoint to
                            smtpd, or rejected. This is covered in more detail in the
                            POSTSCREEN_README.

                            When postscreen decides to pass the connection to smtpd, postscreen
                            is no longer involved, and smtpd has no knowledge of what transpired
                            between postscreen and a client.

                            Solution:

                            [this is not a complete how-to, but will show you how to use
                            multiple interfaces]

                            At some point you reported:

                            > mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                            > -o myhostname=eriks.xs4all.nl
                            > -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv4-25
                            > -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may

                            Ok.

                            > -o postscreen_tls_security_level=may
                            > -o tlsproxy_tls_security_level=may

                            both these belong in main.cf, or better, set main.cf:
                            "smtpd_security_level = may" and leave these at their defaults.

                            > -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025
                            > -o soft_bounce=no
                            > -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv4

                            The cache map parameter belongs in main.cf. Probably a mistake to
                            create separate caches.

                            Same comments as above for the smtpd listener below.

                            > mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                            > -o myhostname=mx1.ipv6.slagter.name
                            > -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv6-25
                            > -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may
                            > -o postscreen_tls_security_level=may
                            > -o tlsproxy_tls_security_level=may
                            > -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025
                            > -o soft_bounce=no
                            > -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv6

                            For the TLS part, it will be much easier to turn TLS on in main.cf,
                            then turn it off on the interfaces where you don't want to offer it
                            with "-o smtpd_tls_security_level=none".

                            # main.cf
                            smtpd_tls_security_level = may

                            For the greeting banners, set them as macros in main.cf and then
                            refer to them by $name in master.cf

                            # main.cf
                            postscreen_greet_v4 = postscreen.v4.mx1 ESMTP greets you
                            postscreen_greet_v6 = postscreen.v6.mx1 ESTMP greets you

                            Now tell postscreen which ports to listen on and to enable the banner:

                            # master.cf

                            mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
                            -o postscreen_greet_banner=$postscreen_greet_v4

                            mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
                            -o postscreen_greet_banner=$postscreen_greet_v6

                            Next we tell smtpd to get it's connections from postscreen.
                            On your existing "smtp ... smtpd" entries where you want postscreen,
                            change the "smtp inet n" part to "smtp pass -"
                            This is described in detail in
                            http://www.postfix.org/POSTSCREEN_README.html#config

                            so your existing entry:
                            > mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd

                            would become:
                            mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp pass - - n - 2 smtpd

                            Good luck.

                            -- Noel Jones
                          • Erik Slagter
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                              On 21-02-13 19:17, DTNX Postmaster wrote:

                              > You keep blaming the documentation and the software, when the problem
                              > is most likely in your understanding of it.

                              Yes I blame the documentation, but not the software. I've been using
                              postfix for, well, something like ten years or more, I think it's the
                              best thing since sliced bread, especially compared to sendmail, qmail
                              and exchange.

                              The way I've configured it now, really suits the demands. I cannot
                              remember any phrases in the documentation recommending not to do it this
                              way (i.e. start multiple smtp listeners on different addresses with
                              different options, in one master process). If it actually appears to be
                              disrecommended, then that's clear to me, no problem.

                              > Simplify your configuration. Don't assume that what goes for 'smtpd'
                              > goes for 'postscreen' as well.

                              I'd like to, but where do I find what I CAN assume? The factual
                              documentation of postscreen is so sparse, it's mostly HOWTO,
                              monkey-see-monkey-do.

                              > Pick sensible defaults for 'main.cf',
                              > and override only the options that are absolutely necessary.

                              That's already done.

                              > If you have a legitimate reason (as in, contractual obligations or
                              > whatnot) to require seperate hostnames, greetings, TLS settings and
                              > such, use the multi-instance features and seperate them. Otherwise the
                              > KISS principle applies.

                              Actually this way is much more KISS to me than running multiple
                              instances of "master".

                              I'm starting to think that the reason this operation is not documented,
                              is because it's not possible. It looks like the postscreen layer
                              literaly sits between the remote client and the smtp process, and the
                              information where the connection took place (interface/address) is not
                              available at the point where the smtpd is invoked.

                              If that's the case, postscreen is not the way to go for me. I assumed
                              postscreen was implemented a bit like proxy-filter, where you can run
                              any number of filters on any number of addresses.
                            • Erik Slagter
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                                On 21-02-13 19:30, Noel Jones wrote:

                                > You've shared too much. By now no one has any idea what you're doing.

                                I'm just following the "REPORT A PROBLEM" procedure I was kindly pointed
                                at...

                                > When postscreen decides to pass the connection to smtpd, postscreen
                                > is no longer involved, and smtpd has no knowledge of what transpired
                                > between postscreen and a client.

                                Yes at this point the smtpd/master has no knowledge of the
                                interface/address, that's exactly the thing I fear.

                                > At some point you reported:
                                > [ .. ]
                                >> -o postscreen_tls_security_level=may
                                >> -o tlsproxy_tls_security_level=may
                                >
                                > both these belong in main.cf, or better, set main.cf:
                                > "smtpd_security_level = may" and leave these at their defaults.

                                Tried both, doesn't matter. The thing is that what way you set the smtpd
                                options (in main.cf) you cannot override them with postscreen. So if you
                                set the default value suitable for address a and b, they must be
                                override for address c and d and vv. Yes, I have some internal address
                                that need to have tls_security=none and yes, that works like a charm
                                without postscreen enabled.

                                >> -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv4
                                >
                                > The cache map parameter belongs in main.cf. Probably a mistake to
                                > create separate caches.

                                Nope, the cache map cannot be shared between two smtpd processes (see
                                documentation ;-)). It's not a problem though, because one db holds ipv4
                                addresses and the other is ipv6 addresses.

                                > For the TLS part, it will be much easier to turn TLS on in main.cf,
                                > then turn it off on the interfaces where you don't want to offer it
                                > with "-o smtpd_tls_security_level=none".

                                All relevant options for tls are actually set in main.cf. It's only that
                                it's not enabled there, it's enabled on a per-address base. Which works.

                                > For the greeting banners, set them as macros in main.cf and then
                                > refer to them by $name in master.cf

                                That's a possibility, but it's not necessary and doesn't solve the problem.

                                > Now tell postscreen which ports to listen on and to enable the banner:
                                >
                                > # master.cf
                                >
                                > mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
                                > -o postscreen_greet_banner=$postscreen_greet_v4
                                >
                                > mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
                                > -o postscreen_greet_banner=$postscreen_greet_v6
                                >
                                > Next we tell smtpd to get it's connections from postscreen.
                                > On your existing "smtp ... smtpd" entries where you want postscreen,
                                > change the "smtp inet n" part to "smtp pass -"
                                > This is described in detail in
                                > http://www.postfix.org/POSTSCREEN_README.html#config
                                >
                                > so your existing entry:
                                >> mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                                >
                                > would become:
                                > mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp pass - - n - 2 smtpd

                                I get your drift, but IIRC I already tried this (multiple times, with
                                slight variations) and also reported about the outcoming of that:
                                "fatal: address already in use".

                                Did I already mention I have followed all the steps from the README as
                                closely as possible?
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                                  On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 05:46:26PM +0100, Erik Slagter wrote:

                                  > Another variation I tried ("pass" and "postscreen" the other way
                                  > around). This works, but gives the original problem, the smtpd
                                  > options are not honoured (especially banner and starttls="may"),
                                  > even though I set both:

                                  Take a DEEP breath, relax and don't *try* implementing new
                                  configurations you don't yet understand. The shots in the dark will
                                  just get you more confused.

                                  It is time to try to *understand*.

                                  1. A running Postfix instance is a collection of separate background
                                  services (daemons) launched by an inetd-like service supervisor known
                                  as "master. These services run independently in separate processes
                                  and communicate with each other using unix-domain sockets.

                                  They are configured either via main.cf (best practice) or via
                                  master.cf "-o parameter=$value" overrides (when you must).

                                  The MOST important thing you need to understand about this is:

                                  Adding "-o FOO=BAR" to the master.cf entry for SERVICEA has
                                  NO EFFECT on the value of FOO in SERVICEB!

                                  Even when the MESSAGE is passed from SERVICEA to SERVICEB the
                                  parameter settings ARE NOT.

                                  Thus when you convert an existing "smtpd" entry to a "postscreen"
                                  entry, it is a grave mistake to leave the "smtpd" (-o options)
                                  that tune the functionality of smtpd attached to the "postscreen"
                                  service. It (postscreen) won't care and the destination "smtpd"
                                  to which the message is handed off will no longer know the parameters.

                                  2. To provide multiple smtpd personalities, you need to implement multiple
                                  "smtpd" services each with their own settings. (As you do when smtpd
                                  listens directly on an "inet" socket).

                                  3. To implement 2. with postscreen, each "inet" listening postscreen
                                  (with settings relevant for postscreen) must hand the message off
                                  to an "smtpd" appropriate for its listening IP address.

                                  4. Therefore, you need multiple "smtpd" "pass" services for "postscreen"
                                  to hand the connection to. The postscreen(8) manual page refers you to

                                  http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_service_name

                                  which must specify the service name of a "pass" entry in master.cf,
                                  you need one of these for each distinct postscreen instance.

                                  192.0.2.1:25 inet ... postscreen
                                  -o smtpd_service_name=25@192.0.2.1
                                  -o <postscreen-related-settings> ...
                                  25@192.0.2.1 pass ... smtpd
                                  -o <smtpd-related-settings> ...

                                  Lather, rinse, repeat:

                                  192.0.2.1:587 inet ... postscreen
                                  -o smtpd_service_name=587@192.0.2.1
                                  -o <postscreen-related-settings> ...
                                  587@192.0.2.1 pass ... smtpd
                                  -o <smtpd-related-settings> ...

                                  Lather, rinse, repeat:

                                  192.0.2.2:25 inet ... postscreen
                                  -o smtpd_service_name=25@192.0.2.2
                                  -o <postscreen-related-settings> ...
                                  25@192.0.2.2 pass ... smtpd
                                  -o <smtpd-related-settings> ...

                                  Lather, rinse, repeat:

                                  192.0.2.3:25 inet ... postscreen
                                  -o smtpd_service_name=25@192.0.2.3
                                  -o <postscreen-related-settings> ...
                                  25@192.0.3.2 pass ... smtpd
                                  -o <smtpd-related-settings> ...

                                  ... but do stop eventually ... :-)

                                • Erik Slagter
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 22, 2013
                                    On 21-02-13 20:07, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

                                    > [ ... ] (lot of patronising text removed)

                                    > 4. Therefore, you need multiple "smtpd" "pass" services for "postscreen"
                                    > to hand the connection to. The postscreen(8) manual page refers you to
                                    >
                                    > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_service_name
                                    >
                                    > which must specify the service name of a "pass" entry in master.cf,
                                    > you need one of these for each distinct postscreen instance.

                                    And THAT is exactly the clue I was looking for! It works!

                                    The only thing that would have to be in the README file is the need to
                                    use "smtpd service names" in case of multiple smtp listeners, point to
                                    http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_service_name and then add a
                                    bit of really helpful text to the current one:

                                    "The internal service that postscreen(8) hands off allowed connections
                                    to. In a future version there may be different classes of SMTP service."

                                    If you google for this command, you'll get references to either this
                                    text or this thread :-(

                                    So for other people seeking to do the same, this does the trick, it's
                                    also simple once you know, the "service" parameter of a "pass" service
                                    is not an address:portno combo but an identifier:

                                    #
                                    # outside -> inside
                                    # postfix(25) -> amavis(10025)
                                    #

                                    mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
                                    -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv4
                                    -o
                                    postscreen_greet_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-mx1-postscreen-1-ppp0-ipv4-25
                                    -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-mx1-postscreen-2-ppp0-ipv4-25
                                    -o postscreen_tls_security_level=none
                                    -o smtpd_service_name=mx1_ipv4

                                    mx1_ipv4 pass - - n - - smtpd
                                    -o myhostname=mx1.slagter.name
                                    -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv4-25
                                    -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may
                                    -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025 # amavis

                                    mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
                                    -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv6
                                    -o
                                    postscreen_greet_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-mx1-postscreen-1-ppp0-ipv6-25
                                    -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-mx1-postscreen-2-ppp0-ipv6-25
                                    -o postscreen_tls_security_level=none
                                    -o smtpd_service_name=mx1_ipv6

                                    mx1_ipv6 pass - - n - - smtpd
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 22, 2013
                                      On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:04:34AM +0100, Erik Slagter wrote:

                                      First, a quick comment, all of the sturm and drang in this thread
                                      is the result of a peculiar reluctance of most users to heed the
                                      advice in MULTI_INSTANCE_README and simplify their configurations
                                      by handling each distinct message flow in a separate Postfix
                                      instance, each of which can be configured with few if any master.cf
                                      tweaks, and understood and maintained much more easily.

                                      A combination of MULTI_INSTANCE_README and POSTSCREEN_README would
                                      get you there much more quickly, and even allow simpler configuration
                                      of cases where identical policies apply to multiple protocol:address
                                      endpoints, since you can just set inet_interfaces in main.cf to list
                                      one or more network addresses for a given instance.

                                      I strongly recommend that you take the time to refactor your
                                      configuration to separate each flow into its own queue. The initial
                                      investment of time pays off quickly in easier to manage configurations
                                      and operational support (e.g. separate queues make it easier to
                                      see which flow is having problems).

                                      > On 21-02-13 20:07, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > [ ... ] (lot of patronising text removed)

                                      Text that is required background knowledge to understand what
                                      follows, misconstrued to be patronizing rather than emphatic. Chill
                                      man, the blustery tone of this thread is mostly the result of your
                                      reticense to (AFAIK you never did) post the actual master.cf
                                      configuration that failed to meet your expectations. You should
                                      probably also not have included the text below in the initial post:

                                      The options (-o) that I specify on the various per-interface
                                      smtpd instances are NOT honoured anymore. ...

                                      Is this intentional? A know[n] bug? ...

                                      I must say the "howto" isn't very clear on this matter, it assumes you
                                      only have only one external interface.

                                      This is rude to the developers who take great pains to make Postfix
                                      unusually robust and well documented. The "patronising" text is
                                      sufficient to logically deduce that (and why) you need multiple
                                      smtpd "pass" services, at which point one looks for a parameter to
                                      specify the pass service, and finds it (in this case clustered
                                      sub-optimally with unrelated settings, we'll fix that) in the postscreen(8)
                                      manpage.

                                      If Wietse is still reading this, we should move "smtpd_service_name"
                                      to its ownn section nearer the top of the postscreen(8) manpage.

                                      Fortunately, the parameter name is just what you'd expect if you've
                                      ever seen "cleanup_service_name" which plays the same role one
                                      handoff downstream.

                                      > >4. Therefore, you need multiple "smtpd" "pass" services for "postscreen"
                                      > > to hand the connection to. The postscreen(8) manual page refers you to
                                      > >
                                      > > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_service_name
                                      > >
                                      > > which must specify the service name of a "pass" entry in master.cf,
                                      > > you need one of these for each distinct postscreen instance.
                                      >
                                      > And THAT is exactly the clue I was looking for! It works!

                                      Naturally, since it is simply a logical consequence of understanding
                                      the patronising text. :-) Perhaps some people even spotted the
                                      transposition error in the last "Lather, rinse, repeat" example.
                                      (It has been observed that students pay more attention to technical
                                      books that contain minor errors that require them to pause and
                                      think, and that they learn more from these than from polished
                                      material that requires less attention).

                                      [
                                      Plus the fact that "unix" and "pass" service names are just file
                                      names in /var/spool/postfix/private/ which I started to describe
                                      in my first post, but decided to keep it more concise in the hope
                                      that this will be apparent from context.

                                      The master.cf services live in one of three namespaces:

                                      - inet/public (inet can't be private).

                                      - unix/public

                                      - unix/private

                                      Each of the "unix" cases subsumes "unix", "fifo" and "pass" since these
                                      all are accessed via paths in /var/spool/postfix/{public,private}.

                                      All delivery agents are "private" while "pickup", "qmgr", "flush"
                                      and "showq" are "public" to support postdrop(1) and postqueue(1)
                                      and their sendmail(1) interfaces. Almost everything else is private,
                                      except for cleanup(8) which AFAIK is public only for historical
                                      reasons.
                                      ]

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 22, 2013
                                        Viktor Dukhovni:
                                        > All delivery agents are "private" while "pickup", "qmgr", "flush"
                                        > and "showq" are "public" to support postdrop(1) and postqueue(1)
                                        > and their sendmail(1) interfaces. Almost everything else is private,
                                        > except for cleanup(8) which AFAIK is public only for historical
                                        > reasons.

                                        This was changed from "private" into "public", so that postdrop
                                        could directly submit mail into cleanup, using the maildrop directory
                                        only as a fall-back mechanism in case cleanup transaction failed.
                                        Recovering from all possible failure modes is complicated and I did
                                        not get around to write that code (and there are few people who I
                                        would trust to write it).