Re: setting up postscreen on a system with multiple external interfaces

  • DTNX Postmaster
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
      On Feb 21, 2013, at 14:32, Erik Slagter <erik@...> wrote:

      > On 21-02-13 13:04, DTNX Postmaster wrote:
      >
      >> http://www.postfix.org/POSTSCREEN_README.html
      >> Have you followed those instructions?
      >
      > Yes I did (of course).
      >
      > The README does NOT give any information on the use of multiple
      > interfaces. It says "change ... into ..." but my master file doesn't
      > have these lines. It would be much better if it would explain HOW it
      > works so you can do the adjustments yourself.

      [snip]

      >> Other than that, post proof that options are not honored anymore. The
      >> most likely cause is that you are trying to apply something to
      >> 'postscreen' that is only supported for 'smtpd'?
      >
      > See above, SMTP welcome string. Which I added as an option to both the
      > smtpd and the postscreen line... None of them were honoured.

      Postscreen has its own set of options. Read the documentation;

      http://www.postfix.org/postscreen.8.html

      Also, avoid trying to 'optimize' for cosmetic reasons. Things like the
      welcome string are generally only seen by machines, have no impact on
      the operation of the mail server in general, and so on. But if you
      cannot resist doing so, this may be what you are looking for;

      http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#postscreen_greet_banner

      Cya,
      Jona
    • Erik Slagter
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
        On 21-02-13 15:29, DTNX Postmaster wrote:
        >> See above, SMTP welcome string. Which I added as an option to both the
        >> smtpd and the postscreen line... None of them were honoured.
        >
        > Postscreen has its own set of options. Read the documentation;
        > http://www.postfix.org/postscreen.8.html

        man postscreen.

        The postscreen (and fwiw tslproxy) has it's own set of options which
        are... by default... copied from the standard smtpd_* options!

        Also tried it with setting these options explicitly (with no success),
        but didn't want to flood information.

        > Also, avoid trying to 'optimize' for cosmetic reasons. Things like the
        > welcome string are generally only seen by machines, have no impact on
        > the operation of the mail server in general, and so on. But if you
        > cannot resist doing so, this may be what you are looking for;
        >
        > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#postscreen_greet_banner

        The welcome string is very important for me, because, as may be obvious
        now, that's a very quick way to check if per-interface settings are
        honoured. This is completely NOT about the welcome string on itself,
        it's about per-interface options not being honoured, so I end up without
        TLS support on the outside interface, whilst if I disable postscreen, it
        simply works!

        The only thing I need is an example of a master.cf file where postfix
        listens on various interfaces with different options, and then the same
        with postscreen enabled and still working (i.e. the per-interface smtpd
        options are honoured).

        Or a good explanation of the workflow of postscreen, a.o. what the two
        "example" lines in the README actually do, so I can adapt that to my
        situation.

        Thx.
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
          Erik Slagter:
          > I tried another variant:
          >
          > 192.168.0.1:smtp inet ... postscreen
          > -o options...
          >
          > 192.168.0.1:pass inet ... smtpd
          > -o options...

          If you don't show the exact options and the exact logging
          then no-one can say what mistake YOU are making.

          Wietse
        • Erik Slagter
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
            On 21-02-13 15:50, Wietse Venema wrote:
            > Erik Slagter:
            >> I tried another variant:
            >>
            >> 192.168.0.1:smtp inet ... postscreen
            >> -o options...
            >>
            >> 192.168.0.1:pass inet ... smtpd
            >> -o options...
            >
            > If you don't show the exact options and the exact logging
            > then no-one can say what mistake YOU are making.

            Okay, I didn't post the complete master.cf because I thought it wouldn't
            be necessary, so here it comes. This is the "plain" version that works,
            without postscreen enabled. If somebody can explain to me how to
            transform this into something working with postscreen enabled AND TLS
            working on the outside interface (ppp0, ipv4 and ipv6), I'd be very
            grateful, but really I've tried various approaches without luck.
            Postscreen on itself is working fine, btw.

            # ==========================================================================
            # service type private unpriv chroot wakeup maxproc command + args
            # (yes) (yes) (yes) (never) (100)
            # ==========================================================================

            #smtp inet n - n - 1 smtpd
            #smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
            #smtpd pass - - n - - smtpd
            #dnsblog unix - - n - 0 dnsblog
            #tlsproxy unix - - n - 0 tlsproxy

            #
            # outside -> inside
            # postfix(25) -> amavis(10025)
            #

            mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
            -o myhostname=eriks.xs4all.nl
            -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv4-25
            -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may
            -o postscreen_tls_security_level=may
            -o tlsproxy_tls_security_level=may
            -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025
            -o soft_bounce=no
            -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv4

            mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
            -o myhostname=mx1.ipv6.slagter.name
            -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv6-25
            -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may
            -o postscreen_tls_security_level=may
            -o tlsproxy_tls_security_level=may
            -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025
            -o soft_bounce=no
            -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv6

            #
            # amavis(10025) -> postfix(10026)
            #

            nemesis.ipv4:10026 inet n - n - 2 smtpd
            -o
            receive_override_options=no_unknown_recipient_checks,no_header_body_checks
            -o body_checks=
            -o header_checks=
            -o myhostname=nemesis.slagter.name
            -o smtp_helo_name=nemesis.slagter.name
            -o smtpd_banner=nemesis.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-lo-ipv4-10026
            -o smtpd_client_restrictions=
            -o smtpd_authorized_xforward_hosts=10.1.1.1

            #
            # postfix(25) -> dkimproxy(11025)
            #

            nemesis.ipv4:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
            -o body_checks=
            -o header_checks=
            -o myhostname=nemesis.slagter.name
            -o smtp_helo_name=nemesis.slagter.name
            -o smtpd_banner=nemesis.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-eth0-ipv4-25
            -o mynetworks=127.0.0.0/8
            -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:11025

            nemesis.ipv6:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
            -o body_checks=
            -o header_checks=
            -o myhostname=nemesis.slagter.name
            -o smtp_helo_name=nemesis.slagter.name
            -o smtpd_banner=nemesis.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-eth0-ipv6-25
            -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:11025

            #
            # dkimproxy(11025) -> postfix(11026)
            #

            nemesis.ipv4:11026 inet n - n - 2 smtpd
            -o
            receive_override_options=no_unknown_recipient_checks,no_header_body_checks
            -o body_checks=
            -o header_checks=
            -o myhostname=nemesis.slagter.name
            -o smtp_helo_name=nemesis.slagter.name
            -o smtpd_banner=nemesis.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-lo-ipv4-11026
            -o smtpd_client_restrictions=
            -o smtpd_authorized_xforward_hosts=10.1.1.1

            #
            # locally generated
            #

            #localhost.ipv4:smtp inet n - n - - postscreen
            localhost.ipv4:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
            -o body_checks=
            -o header_checks=
            -o myhostname=nemesis.slagter.name
            -o smtp_helo_name=nemesis.slagter.name
            -o smtpd_banner=nemesis.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-lo-ipv4-25
            -o mynetworks=127.0.0.0/8

            #nemesis.ipv4:smtp inet n - n - - postscreen
            nemesis.ipv4:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
            -o body_checks=
            -o header_checks=
            -o myhostname=nemesis.slagter.name
            -o smtp_helo_name=nemesis.slagter.name
            -o smtpd_banner=nemesis.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-vlan2-alt-ipv4-25
            -o mynetworks=10.0.2.0/24

            ::1:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
            -o body_checks=
            -o header_checks=
            -o myhostname=nemesis.slagter.name
            -o smtp_helo_name=nemesis.slagter.name
            -o smtpd_banner=nemesis.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-lo-ipv6-25

            pickup fifo n - n 60 1 pickup
            cleanup unix n - n - 0 cleanup
            qmgr fifo n - n 300 1 qmgr
            tlsmgr unix - - n 1000? 1 tlsmgr
            rewrite unix - - n - - trivial-rewrite
            bounce unix - - n - 0 bounce
            defer unix - - n - 0 bounce
            trace unix - - n - 0 bounce
            verify unix - - n - 1 verify
            flush unix n - n 1000? 0 flush
            proxymap unix - - n - - proxymap
            smtp unix - - n - - smtp
            relay unix - - n - - smtp -o
            smtp_helo_timeout=5 -o smtp_connect_timeout=5
            showq unix n - n - - showq
            error unix - - n - - error
            local unix - n n - - local
            virtual unix - n n - - virtual
            lmtp unix - - n - - lmtp
            anvil unix - - n - 1 anvil

            smtp-inside unix - - n - - smtp
            -o myhostname=nemesis.slagter.name
            -o smtp_helo_name=nemesis.slagter.name
            -o smtp_bind_address6=2001:980:5fef:1::1

            smtp-default unix - - n - - smtp
            -o myhostname=eriks.xs4all.nl
            -o smtp_helo_name=eriks.xs4all.nl
            -o smtp_bind_address6=2001:980:5fef::1
            -o smtp_tls_security_level=may
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
              Erik Slagter:
              > On 21-02-13 15:50, Wietse Venema wrote:
              > > Erik Slagter:
              > >> I tried another variant:
              > >>
              > >> 192.168.0.1:smtp inet ... postscreen
              > >> -o options...
              > >>
              > >> 192.168.0.1:pass inet ... smtpd
              > >> -o options...
              > >
              > > If you don't show the exact options and the exact logging
              > > then no-one can say what mistake YOU are making.
              >
              > Okay, I didn't post the complete master.cf because I thought it wouldn't
              > be necessary, so here it comes. This is the "plain" version that works,
              > without postscreen enabled. If somebody can explain to me how to

              Thank you for using Postfix.
            • Erik Slagter
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                On 21-02-13 16:16, Wietse Venema wrote:
                > Erik Slagter:
                > TO REPORT A PROBLEM see http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
                > TO (UN)SUBSCRIBE see http://www.postfix.org/lists.html
                > Thank you for using Postfix.

                And I always thought I could be blunt at moments ;-)

                PROBLEM (apparently this is a "problem")

                * Summary

                Setting up postscreen on a system with multiple external interfaces
                causes per-interface smtpd options not to be honoured

                * Complete error messages

                None.

                * Postfix logging

                None relevant (really! the logging is exactly the same for postscreen
                and non-postscreen operation, up to the problem the problem occurs).

                * Postconf -n

                alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
                alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
                allow_mail_to_commands = alias,forward
                allow_mail_to_files = alias,forward
                append_at_myorigin = yes
                append_dot_mydomain = yes
                command_time_limit = 300
                config_directory = /etc/postfix
                data_directory = /var/lib/postfix
                default_privs = amavis
                default_transport = smtp-default
                delay_warning_time = 4
                fast_flush_domains = $mydomain
                inet_protocols = ipv6 ipv4
                local_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
                local_transport = local
                mail_owner = postfix
                mailbox_size_limit = 0
                masquerade_domains = $mydomain
                masquerade_exceptions = root
                maximal_backoff_time = 1h
                maximal_queue_lifetime = 21d
                message_size_limit = 100000000
                minimal_backoff_time = 2m
                mydestination = nemesis.slagter.name, eriks.xs4all.nl, $myhostname,
                localhost.$mydomain, localhost
                mydomain = slagter.name
                myhostname = nemesis.slagter.name
                mynetworks = 10.0.0.0/8, 127.0.0.0/8, [2001:980:5fef::]/48 [::1]/128
                [fe80::]/10
                myorigin = $mydomain
                notify_classes = bounce,2bounce,data,delay,resource,software
                postscreen_access_list = permit_mynetworks,
                cidr:/etc/postfix/postscreen_access.cidr
                postscreen_bare_newline_action = enforce
                postscreen_bare_newline_enable = yes
                postscreen_blacklist_action = enforce
                postscreen_cache_retention_time = 30d
                postscreen_greet_action = enforce
                postscreen_greet_banner = $smtpd_banner postscreen
                postscreen_greet_ttl = 1h
                postscreen_greet_wait = 2s
                postscreen_non_smtp_command_action = enforce
                postscreen_non_smtp_command_enable = yes
                postscreen_pipelining_enable = yes
                queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
                queue_minfree = 0
                queue_run_delay = 5m
                recipient_delimiter = +
                relay_domains = slagter.name, erikslag@..., eriks.xs4all.nl
                setgid_group = postdrop
                smtp_helo_name = eriks.xs4all.nl
                smtp_send_xforward_command = yes
                smtp_tls_block_early_mail_reply = yes
                smtp_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/mx1_slagter_name_all_crt.pem
                smtp_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/mx1_slagter_name_key.pem
                smtp_tls_loglevel = 1
                smtp_tls_security_level = none
                smtpd_authorized_xforward_hosts = 127.0.0.0/8,10.1.0.0/16,10.0.0.0/16
                smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name
                smtpd_client_restrictions = permit
                smtpd_delay_reject = no
                smtpd_etrn_restrictions = permit
                smtpd_helo_required = yes
                smtpd_helo_restrictions = permit
                smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_recipient
                reject_unauth_destination check_recipient_access
                hash:/etc/postfix/local_users permit
                smtpd_sender_restrictions = permit
                smtpd_tls_ask_ccert = yes
                smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/mx1_slagter_name_all_crt.pem
                smtpd_tls_dh1024_param_file = /etc/postfix/dh_1024.pem
                smtpd_tls_dh512_param_file = /etc/postfix/dh_512.pem
                smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/mx1_slagter_name_key.pem
                smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
                smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
                smtpd_tls_req_ccert = no
                smtpd_tls_security_level = none
                strict_rfc821_envelopes = no
                tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom

                * Postfinger

                ostfinger - postfix configuration on do feb 21 16:32:28 CET 2013
                version: 1.30

                Warning: postfinger output may show private configuration information,
                such as ip addresses and/or domain names which you do not want to show
                to the public. If this is the case it is your responsibility to modify
                the output to hide this private information. [Remove this warning with
                the --nowarn option.]

                --System Parameters--
                mail_version = 2.9.4
                hostname = nemesis
                uname = Linux nemesis 3.5.3 #1 SMP Thu Aug 30 18:52:19 CEST 2012 x86_64
                x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

                --Packaging information--
                looks like this postfix comes from RPM package: postfix-2.9.4-2.fc17.x86_64

                --main.cf non-default parameters--
[...]

                --master.cf--
[...]

                -- end of postfinger output --

                * All other paragraphs are not relevant.

                Thank you for your attention.
              • Reindl Harald
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                  Am 21.02.2013 16:35, schrieb Erik Slagter:

                  > mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                  > -o myhostname=eriks.xs4all.nl
                  > -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv4-25
                  > -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may
                  > -o postscreen_tls_security_level=may
                  > -o tlsproxy_tls_security_level=may
                  > -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025
                  > -o soft_bounce=no
                  > -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv4

                  and how should this be supposed to use postscreen
                  with "smtpd" instead of "postscreen" as command?
                • Erik Slagter
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                    If I set up postscreen as closely as possible to the postscreen README
                    document, I get this (diff to previous message) (I'm sorry lots of it
                    has been folded). The log says "address already in use for 10.1.1.1",
                    this is interesting because none of the changes involved 10.1.1.1.

                    --- a 2013-02-21 16:37:18.348109048 +0100
                    +++ b 2013-02-21 17:25:24.337265305 +0100
                    @@ -8,7 +8,7 @@

                    * Postfix logging

                    -None relevant (really! the logging is exactly the same for postscreen
                    and non-postscreen operation, up to the problem the problem occurs).
                    +Feb 21 16:46:03 nemesis-vlan1 postfix/master[28268]: fatal: bind
                    10.1.1.1 port 25: Address already in use

                    * Postconf -n

                    @@ -93,7 +93,7 @@

                    * Postfinger

                    -Postfinger - postfix configuration on do feb 21 16:32:28 CET 2013
                    +postfinger - postfix configuration on do feb 21 17:24:49 CET 2013
                    version: 1.30

                    Warning: postfinger output may show private configuration information,
                    @@ -178,7 +178,10 @@

                    --master.cf--
                    -mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                    +smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
                    +dnsblog unix - - n - 0 dnsblog
                    +tlsproxy unix - - n - 0 tlsproxy
                    +mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp pass n - n - 2 smtpd
                    @@ -187,7 +190,7 @@
                    -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025
                    -o soft_bounce=no
                    -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv4
                    -mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                    +mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp pass n - n - 2 smtpd
                    -o myhostname=mx1.ipv6.slagter.name
                    -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv6-25
                    -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may
                    @@ -288,3 +291,6 @@
                    -- end of postfinger output --
                  • Erik Slagter
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                      Another variation I tried ("pass" and "postscreen" the other way
                      around). This works, but gives the original problem, the smtpd options
                      are not honoured (especially banner and starttls="may"), even though I
                      set both:

                      -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may
                      -o postscreen_tls_security_level=may

                      Output of postfinger, diff to first non-postscreen config:

                      --- a 2013-02-21 17:35:41.568369098 +0100
                      +++ c 2013-02-21 17:38:58.274633686 +0100
                      @@ -1,4 +1,4 @@
                      -Postfinger - postfix configuration on do feb 21 16:32:28 CET 2013
                      +postfinger - postfix configuration on do feb 21 17:38:58 CET 2013
                      version: 1.30

                      Warning: postfinger output may show private configuration information,
                      @@ -83,7 +83,10 @@

                      --master.cf--
                      -mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                      +smtpd pass - - n - - smtpd
                      +dnsblog unix - - n - 0 dnsblog
                      +tlsproxy unix - - n - 0 tlsproxy
                      +mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 postscreen
                      @@ -92,7 +95,7 @@
                      -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025
                      -o soft_bounce=no
                      -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv4
                      -mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                      +mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp pass n - n - 2 postscreen
                      -o myhostname=mx1.ipv6.slagter.name
                      -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv6-25
                      -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may

                      * Log output

                      Feb 21 17:42:40 nemesis-vlan1 postfix/master[4547]: daemon started --
                      version 2.9.4, configuration /etc/postfix
                      Feb 21 17:42:42 nemesis-vlan1 postfix/postscreen[4553]: CONNECT from
                      [10.1.1.5]:49309 to [83.163.214.71]:25
                      Feb 21 17:42:42 nemesis-vlan1 postfix/postscreen[4553]: WHITELISTED
                      [10.1.1.5]:49309
                      Feb 21 17:42:42 nemesis-vlan1 postfix/postscreen[4553]: cache
                      btree:/var/lib/postfix/postscreen_cache-ipv4 full cleanup: retained=5
                      dropped=0 entries
                      Feb 21 17:42:42 nemesis-vlan1 postfix/smtpd[4554]: connect from
                      eos.ipv4.slagter.name[10.1.1.5]
                      Feb 21 17:42:50 nemesis-vlan1 postfix/smtpd[4554]: disconnect from
                      eos.ipv4.slagter.name[10.1.1.5]
                    • Reindl Harald
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                        Am 21.02.2013 17:46, schrieb Erik Slagter:
                        > Another variation I tried ("pass" and "postscreen" the other way around). This works, but gives the original
                        > problem, the smtpd options are not honoured (especially banner and starttls="may"), even though I set both:

                        postscreen != smtpd so why should it do so?
                        http://www.postfix.org/postscreen.8.html

                        The Postfix postscreen(8) server provides additional pro-
                        tection against mail server overload. One postscreen(8)
                        process handles multiple inbound SMTP connections, and
                        decides which clients may talk to a Postfix SMTP server
                        process.
                      • Erik Slagter
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                          On 21-02-13 16:45, Reindl Harald wrote:
                          > Am 21.02.2013 16:35, schrieb Erik Slagter:
                          >
                          >> mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                          >> [ ... ]

                          > and how should this be supposed to use postscreen
                          > with "smtpd" instead of "postscreen" as command?

                          Interesting how anybody is keen on telling me I am doing it wrong, which
                          I sort of already had figured because it doesn't work... On the other
                          hand nobody has given a hint on how to do it "right" then.

                          Likewise people pointing me to the postscreen HOWTO, which I've been
                          reading numerous times now and really does _not_ give an answer to this
                          problem.

                          >> mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                          >> [ ... ]

                          > and how should this be supposed to use postscreen
                          > with "smtpd" instead of "postscreen" as command?

                          Well don't ask me, I don't know, I am just trying "everything" because
                          the documentation doesn't tell me how to do it?
                        • DTNX Postmaster
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                            On Feb 21, 2013, at 18:28, Erik Slagter <erik@...> wrote:

                            > On 21-02-13 16:45, Reindl Harald wrote:
                            >> Am 21.02.2013 16:35, schrieb Erik Slagter:
                            >>
                            >>> mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                            > >> [ ... ]
                            >
                            >> and how should this be supposed to use postscreen
                            >> with "smtpd" instead of "postscreen" as command?
                            >
                            > Interesting how anybody is keen on telling me I am doing it wrong, which I sort of already had figured because it doesn't work... On the other hand nobody has given a hint on how to do it "right" then.
                            >
                            > Likewise people pointing me to the postscreen HOWTO, which I've been reading numerous times now and really does _not_ give an answer to this problem.
                            >
                            > >> mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                            > >> [ ... ]
                            >
                            > > and how should this be supposed to use postscreen
                            > > with "smtpd" instead of "postscreen" as command?
                            >
                            > Well don't ask me, I don't know, I am just trying "everything" because the documentation doesn't tell me how to do it?

                            You keep blaming the documentation and the software, when the problem
                            is most likely in your understanding of it.

                            Simplify your configuration. Don't assume that what goes for 'smtpd'
                            goes for 'postscreen' as well. Pick sensible defaults for 'main.cf',
                            and override only the options that are absolutely necessary.

                            If you have a legitimate reason (as in, contractual obligations or
                            whatnot) to require seperate hostnames, greetings, TLS settings and
                            such, use the multi-instance features and seperate them. Otherwise the
                            KISS principle applies.

                            Cya,
                            Jona
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                              On 2/21/2013 10:46 AM, Erik Slagter wrote:
                              > Another variation I tried ("pass" and "postscreen" the other way
                              > around).

                              You've shared too much. By now no one has any idea what you're doing.

                              Overview:

                              Postscreen is a front-end listener for smtpd. It's not a proxy.
                              Incoming connections are handled by postscreen until postscreen
                              either decides it's clean and passes the connection endpoint to
                              smtpd, or rejected. This is covered in more detail in the
                              POSTSCREEN_README.

                              When postscreen decides to pass the connection to smtpd, postscreen
                              is no longer involved, and smtpd has no knowledge of what transpired
                              between postscreen and a client.

                              Solution:

                              [this is not a complete how-to, but will show you how to use
                              multiple interfaces]

                              At some point you reported:

                              > mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                              > -o myhostname=eriks.xs4all.nl
                              > -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv4-25
                              > -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may

                              Ok.

                              > -o postscreen_tls_security_level=may
                              > -o tlsproxy_tls_security_level=may

                              both these belong in main.cf, or better, set main.cf:
                              "smtpd_security_level = may" and leave these at their defaults.

                              > -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025
                              > -o soft_bounce=no
                              > -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv4

                              The cache map parameter belongs in main.cf. Probably a mistake to
                              create separate caches.

                              Same comments as above for the smtpd listener below.

                              > mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                              > -o myhostname=mx1.ipv6.slagter.name
                              > -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv6-25
                              > -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may
                              > -o postscreen_tls_security_level=may
                              > -o tlsproxy_tls_security_level=may
                              > -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025
                              > -o soft_bounce=no
                              > -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv6

                              For the TLS part, it will be much easier to turn TLS on in main.cf,
                              then turn it off on the interfaces where you don't want to offer it
                              with "-o smtpd_tls_security_level=none".

                              # main.cf
                              smtpd_tls_security_level = may

                              For the greeting banners, set them as macros in main.cf and then
                              refer to them by $name in master.cf

                              # main.cf
                              postscreen_greet_v4 = postscreen.v4.mx1 ESMTP greets you
                              postscreen_greet_v6 = postscreen.v6.mx1 ESTMP greets you

                              Now tell postscreen which ports to listen on and to enable the banner:

                              # master.cf

                              mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
                              -o postscreen_greet_banner=$postscreen_greet_v4

                              mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
                              -o postscreen_greet_banner=$postscreen_greet_v6

                              Next we tell smtpd to get it's connections from postscreen.
                              On your existing "smtp ... smtpd" entries where you want postscreen,
                              change the "smtp inet n" part to "smtp pass -"
                              This is described in detail in
                              http://www.postfix.org/POSTSCREEN_README.html#config

                              so your existing entry:
                              > mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd

                              would become:
                              mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp pass - - n - 2 smtpd

                              Good luck.

                              -- Noel Jones
                            • Erik Slagter
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                                On 21-02-13 19:17, DTNX Postmaster wrote:

                                > You keep blaming the documentation and the software, when the problem
                                > is most likely in your understanding of it.

                                Yes I blame the documentation, but not the software. I've been using
                                postfix for, well, something like ten years or more, I think it's the
                                best thing since sliced bread, especially compared to sendmail, qmail
                                and exchange.

                                The way I've configured it now, really suits the demands. I cannot
                                remember any phrases in the documentation recommending not to do it this
                                way (i.e. start multiple smtp listeners on different addresses with
                                different options, in one master process). If it actually appears to be
                                disrecommended, then that's clear to me, no problem.

                                > Simplify your configuration. Don't assume that what goes for 'smtpd'
                                > goes for 'postscreen' as well.

                                I'd like to, but where do I find what I CAN assume? The factual
                                documentation of postscreen is so sparse, it's mostly HOWTO,
                                monkey-see-monkey-do.

                                > Pick sensible defaults for 'main.cf',
                                > and override only the options that are absolutely necessary.

                                That's already done.

                                > If you have a legitimate reason (as in, contractual obligations or
                                > whatnot) to require seperate hostnames, greetings, TLS settings and
                                > such, use the multi-instance features and seperate them. Otherwise the
                                > KISS principle applies.

                                Actually this way is much more KISS to me than running multiple
                                instances of "master".

                                I'm starting to think that the reason this operation is not documented,
                                is because it's not possible. It looks like the postscreen layer
                                literaly sits between the remote client and the smtp process, and the
                                information where the connection took place (interface/address) is not
                                available at the point where the smtpd is invoked.

                                If that's the case, postscreen is not the way to go for me. I assumed
                                postscreen was implemented a bit like proxy-filter, where you can run
                                any number of filters on any number of addresses.
                              • Erik Slagter
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                                  On 21-02-13 19:30, Noel Jones wrote:

                                  > You've shared too much. By now no one has any idea what you're doing.

                                  I'm just following the "REPORT A PROBLEM" procedure I was kindly pointed
                                  at...

                                  > When postscreen decides to pass the connection to smtpd, postscreen
                                  > is no longer involved, and smtpd has no knowledge of what transpired
                                  > between postscreen and a client.

                                  Yes at this point the smtpd/master has no knowledge of the
                                  interface/address, that's exactly the thing I fear.

                                  > At some point you reported:
                                  > [ .. ]
                                  >> -o postscreen_tls_security_level=may
                                  >> -o tlsproxy_tls_security_level=may
                                  >
                                  > both these belong in main.cf, or better, set main.cf:
                                  > "smtpd_security_level = may" and leave these at their defaults.

                                  Tried both, doesn't matter. The thing is that what way you set the smtpd
                                  options (in main.cf) you cannot override them with postscreen. So if you
                                  set the default value suitable for address a and b, they must be
                                  override for address c and d and vv. Yes, I have some internal address
                                  that need to have tls_security=none and yes, that works like a charm
                                  without postscreen enabled.

                                  >> -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv4
                                  >
                                  > The cache map parameter belongs in main.cf. Probably a mistake to
                                  > create separate caches.

                                  Nope, the cache map cannot be shared between two smtpd processes (see
                                  documentation ;-)). It's not a problem though, because one db holds ipv4
                                  addresses and the other is ipv6 addresses.

                                  > For the TLS part, it will be much easier to turn TLS on in main.cf,
                                  > then turn it off on the interfaces where you don't want to offer it
                                  > with "-o smtpd_tls_security_level=none".

                                  All relevant options for tls are actually set in main.cf. It's only that
                                  it's not enabled there, it's enabled on a per-address base. Which works.

                                  > For the greeting banners, set them as macros in main.cf and then
                                  > refer to them by $name in master.cf

                                  That's a possibility, but it's not necessary and doesn't solve the problem.

                                  > Now tell postscreen which ports to listen on and to enable the banner:
                                  >
                                  > # master.cf
                                  >
                                  > mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
                                  > -o postscreen_greet_banner=$postscreen_greet_v4
                                  >
                                  > mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
                                  > -o postscreen_greet_banner=$postscreen_greet_v6
                                  >
                                  > Next we tell smtpd to get it's connections from postscreen.
                                  > On your existing "smtp ... smtpd" entries where you want postscreen,
                                  > change the "smtp inet n" part to "smtp pass -"
                                  > This is described in detail in
                                  > http://www.postfix.org/POSTSCREEN_README.html#config
                                  >
                                  > so your existing entry:
                                  >> mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                                  >
                                  > would become:
                                  > mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp pass - - n - 2 smtpd

                                  I get your drift, but IIRC I already tried this (multiple times, with
                                  slight variations) and also reported about the outcoming of that:
                                  "fatal: address already in use".

                                  Did I already mention I have followed all the steps from the README as
                                  closely as possible?
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                                    On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 05:46:26PM +0100, Erik Slagter wrote:

                                    > Another variation I tried ("pass" and "postscreen" the other way
                                    > around). This works, but gives the original problem, the smtpd
                                    > options are not honoured (especially banner and starttls="may"),
                                    > even though I set both:

                                    Take a DEEP breath, relax and don't *try* implementing new
                                    configurations you don't yet understand. The shots in the dark will
                                    just get you more confused.

                                    It is time to try to *understand*.

                                    1. A running Postfix instance is a collection of separate background
                                    services (daemons) launched by an inetd-like service supervisor known
                                    as "master. These services run independently in separate processes
                                    and communicate with each other using unix-domain sockets.

                                    They are configured either via main.cf (best practice) or via
                                    master.cf "-o parameter=$value" overrides (when you must).

                                    The MOST important thing you need to understand about this is:

                                    Adding "-o FOO=BAR" to the master.cf entry for SERVICEA has
                                    NO EFFECT on the value of FOO in SERVICEB!

                                    Even when the MESSAGE is passed from SERVICEA to SERVICEB the
                                    parameter settings ARE NOT.

                                    Thus when you convert an existing "smtpd" entry to a "postscreen"
                                    entry, it is a grave mistake to leave the "smtpd" (-o options)
                                    that tune the functionality of smtpd attached to the "postscreen"
                                    service. It (postscreen) won't care and the destination "smtpd"
                                    to which the message is handed off will no longer know the parameters.

                                    2. To provide multiple smtpd personalities, you need to implement multiple
                                    "smtpd" services each with their own settings. (As you do when smtpd
                                    listens directly on an "inet" socket).

                                    3. To implement 2. with postscreen, each "inet" listening postscreen
                                    (with settings relevant for postscreen) must hand the message off
                                    to an "smtpd" appropriate for its listening IP address.

                                    4. Therefore, you need multiple "smtpd" "pass" services for "postscreen"
                                    to hand the connection to. The postscreen(8) manual page refers you to

                                    http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_service_name

                                    which must specify the service name of a "pass" entry in master.cf,
                                    you need one of these for each distinct postscreen instance.

                                    192.0.2.1:25 inet ... postscreen
                                    -o smtpd_service_name=25@192.0.2.1
                                    -o <postscreen-related-settings> ...
                                    25@192.0.2.1 pass ... smtpd
                                    -o <smtpd-related-settings> ...

                                    Lather, rinse, repeat:

                                    192.0.2.1:587 inet ... postscreen
                                    -o smtpd_service_name=587@192.0.2.1
                                    -o <postscreen-related-settings> ...
                                    587@192.0.2.1 pass ... smtpd
                                    -o <smtpd-related-settings> ...

                                    Lather, rinse, repeat:

                                    192.0.2.2:25 inet ... postscreen
                                    -o smtpd_service_name=25@192.0.2.2
                                    -o <postscreen-related-settings> ...
                                    25@192.0.2.2 pass ... smtpd
                                    -o <smtpd-related-settings> ...

                                    Lather, rinse, repeat:

                                    192.0.2.3:25 inet ... postscreen
                                    -o smtpd_service_name=25@192.0.2.3
                                    -o <postscreen-related-settings> ...
                                    25@192.0.3.2 pass ... smtpd
                                    -o <smtpd-related-settings> ...

                                    ... but do stop eventually ... :-)

                                  • Erik Slagter
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 22, 2013
                                      On 21-02-13 20:07, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

                                      > [ ... ] (lot of patronising text removed)

                                      > 4. Therefore, you need multiple "smtpd" "pass" services for "postscreen"
                                      > to hand the connection to. The postscreen(8) manual page refers you to
                                      >
                                      > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_service_name
                                      >
                                      > which must specify the service name of a "pass" entry in master.cf,
                                      > you need one of these for each distinct postscreen instance.

                                      And THAT is exactly the clue I was looking for! It works!

                                      The only thing that would have to be in the README file is the need to
                                      use "smtpd service names" in case of multiple smtp listeners, point to
                                      http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_service_name and then add a
                                      bit of really helpful text to the current one:

                                      "The internal service that postscreen(8) hands off allowed connections
                                      to. In a future version there may be different classes of SMTP service."

                                      If you google for this command, you'll get references to either this
                                      text or this thread :-(

                                      So for other people seeking to do the same, this does the trick, it's
                                      also simple once you know, the "service" parameter of a "pass" service
                                      is not an address:portno combo but an identifier:

                                      #
                                      # outside -> inside
                                      # postfix(25) -> amavis(10025)
                                      #

                                      mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
                                      -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv4
                                      -o
                                      postscreen_greet_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-mx1-postscreen-1-ppp0-ipv4-25
                                      -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-mx1-postscreen-2-ppp0-ipv4-25
                                      -o postscreen_tls_security_level=none
                                      -o smtpd_service_name=mx1_ipv4

                                      mx1_ipv4 pass - - n - - smtpd
                                      -o myhostname=mx1.slagter.name
                                      -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv4-25
                                      -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may
                                      -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025 # amavis

                                      mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
                                      -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv6
                                      -o
                                      postscreen_greet_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-mx1-postscreen-1-ppp0-ipv6-25
                                      -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-mx1-postscreen-2-ppp0-ipv6-25
                                      -o postscreen_tls_security_level=none
                                      -o smtpd_service_name=mx1_ipv6

                                      mx1_ipv6 pass - - n - - smtpd
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 22, 2013
                                        On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:04:34AM +0100, Erik Slagter wrote:

                                        First, a quick comment, all of the sturm and drang in this thread
                                        is the result of a peculiar reluctance of most users to heed the
                                        advice in MULTI_INSTANCE_README and simplify their configurations
                                        by handling each distinct message flow in a separate Postfix
                                        instance, each of which can be configured with few if any master.cf
                                        tweaks, and understood and maintained much more easily.

                                        A combination of MULTI_INSTANCE_README and POSTSCREEN_README would
                                        get you there much more quickly, and even allow simpler configuration
                                        of cases where identical policies apply to multiple protocol:address
                                        endpoints, since you can just set inet_interfaces in main.cf to list
                                        one or more network addresses for a given instance.

                                        I strongly recommend that you take the time to refactor your
                                        configuration to separate each flow into its own queue. The initial
                                        investment of time pays off quickly in easier to manage configurations
                                        and operational support (e.g. separate queues make it easier to
                                        see which flow is having problems).

                                        > On 21-02-13 20:07, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > [ ... ] (lot of patronising text removed)

                                        Text that is required background knowledge to understand what
                                        follows, misconstrued to be patronizing rather than emphatic. Chill
                                        man, the blustery tone of this thread is mostly the result of your
                                        reticense to (AFAIK you never did) post the actual master.cf
                                        configuration that failed to meet your expectations. You should
                                        probably also not have included the text below in the initial post:

                                        The options (-o) that I specify on the various per-interface
                                        smtpd instances are NOT honoured anymore. ...

                                        Is this intentional? A know[n] bug? ...

                                        I must say the "howto" isn't very clear on this matter, it assumes you
                                        only have only one external interface.

                                        This is rude to the developers who take great pains to make Postfix
                                        unusually robust and well documented. The "patronising" text is
                                        sufficient to logically deduce that (and why) you need multiple
                                        smtpd "pass" services, at which point one looks for a parameter to
                                        specify the pass service, and finds it (in this case clustered
                                        sub-optimally with unrelated settings, we'll fix that) in the postscreen(8)
                                        manpage.

                                        If Wietse is still reading this, we should move "smtpd_service_name"
                                        to its ownn section nearer the top of the postscreen(8) manpage.

                                        Fortunately, the parameter name is just what you'd expect if you've
                                        ever seen "cleanup_service_name" which plays the same role one
                                        handoff downstream.

                                        > >4. Therefore, you need multiple "smtpd" "pass" services for "postscreen"
                                        > > to hand the connection to. The postscreen(8) manual page refers you to
                                        > >
                                        > > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_service_name
                                        > >
                                        > > which must specify the service name of a "pass" entry in master.cf,
                                        > > you need one of these for each distinct postscreen instance.
                                        >
                                        > And THAT is exactly the clue I was looking for! It works!

                                        Naturally, since it is simply a logical consequence of understanding
                                        the patronising text. :-) Perhaps some people even spotted the
                                        transposition error in the last "Lather, rinse, repeat" example.
                                        (It has been observed that students pay more attention to technical
                                        books that contain minor errors that require them to pause and
                                        think, and that they learn more from these than from polished
                                        material that requires less attention).

                                        [
                                        Plus the fact that "unix" and "pass" service names are just file
                                        names in /var/spool/postfix/private/ which I started to describe
                                        in my first post, but decided to keep it more concise in the hope
                                        that this will be apparent from context.

                                        The master.cf services live in one of three namespaces:

                                        - inet/public (inet can't be private).

                                        - unix/public

                                        - unix/private

                                        Each of the "unix" cases subsumes "unix", "fifo" and "pass" since these
                                        all are accessed via paths in /var/spool/postfix/{public,private}.

                                        All delivery agents are "private" while "pickup", "qmgr", "flush"
                                        and "showq" are "public" to support postdrop(1) and postqueue(1)
                                        and their sendmail(1) interfaces. Almost everything else is private,
                                        except for cleanup(8) which AFAIK is public only for historical
                                        reasons.
                                        ]

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 22, 2013
                                          Viktor Dukhovni:
                                          > All delivery agents are "private" while "pickup", "qmgr", "flush"
                                          > and "showq" are "public" to support postdrop(1) and postqueue(1)
                                          > and their sendmail(1) interfaces. Almost everything else is private,
                                          > except for cleanup(8) which AFAIK is public only for historical
                                          > reasons.

                                          This was changed from "private" into "public", so that postdrop
                                          could directly submit mail into cleanup, using the maildrop directory
                                          only as a fall-back mechanism in case cleanup transaction failed.
                                          Recovering from all possible failure modes is complicated and I did
                                          not get around to write that code (and there are few people who I
                                          would trust to write it).