Re: setting up postscreen on a system with multiple external interfaces

    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
      Erik Slagter:
      > I want to start using postscreen. Of course I am not going to "test" in
      > a production environment, so I made a comparable postfix installation
      > and with that installation I ran into a problem:
      >
      > The options (-o) that I specify on the various per-interface smtpd
      > instances are NOT honoured anymore. I can check that quite easily

      If you have a problem yoo MUST show actual concrete evidence, so
      that it is clear whether YOU screwed or I did so.

      http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html

      Wietse
    • DTNX Postmaster
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
        On Feb 21, 2013, at 10:31, Erik Slagter <erik@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > Please help me with the following. I have here a postfix system that
        > listens on multiple (external) interfaces, e.g. one of them receives
        > e-mail from the internet, one of them receives more or less secure mail
        > from associated institutions.
        >
        > E-mail received on the "internet" interface receives full processing,
        > including amavis which calls spamassassin (by proxy filter) and it
        > should offer "may" level TLS (no discussion about that please ;-)).
        >
        > The e-mail received on the "secure" interface receives limited
        > processing, e.g. no amavis and it doesn't need to offer TLS.
        >
        > Besides that there are also a few "internal" interfaces postfix listens
        > on as well, with minimal processing, but with dkim signing.
        >
        > So there are actually multiple flows through the system, depending on
        > the interface the mail was received on.
        >
        > I want to start using postscreen. Of course I am not going to "test" in
        > a production environment, so I made a comparable postfix installation
        > and with that installation I ran into a problem:
        >
        > The options (-o) that I specify on the various per-interface smtpd
        > instances are NOT honoured anymore. I can check that quite easily
        > because the hello string varies per interface and also TLS is no longer
        > offered (disabled in the main.cf and enable on a per-interface basis in
        > the master.cf file). When I revert to non-postscreen operation, it works
        > like expected.
        >
        > Is this intentional? A know bug? Or something I should do another way?
        > Anyone that has this configuration running, with postscreen?
        >
        > I must say the "howto" isn't very clear on this matter, it assumes you
        > only have only one external interface.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.

        http://www.postfix.org/POSTSCREEN_README.html

        Have you followed those instructions?

        AFAIK, you can bind 'postscreen' to a specific interface by specifying
        a hostname or an IP address in front of the port name or number in
        'master.cf';

        192.0.2.1:smtp inet .... postscreen

        And then have a regular Postfix instance on a seperate address;

        192.0.2.2:smtp inet .... smtpd

        If you cannot simplify your setup, you may need this;

        Other than that, post proof that options are not honored anymore. The
        most likely cause is that you are trying to apply something to
        'postscreen' that is only supported for 'smtpd'?

        Cya,
        Jona
      • Erik Slagter
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
          On 21-02-13 13:04, DTNX Postmaster wrote:

          >> Please help me with the following. I have here a postfix system that
          >> listens on multiple (external) interfaces, e.g. one of them receives
          >> e-mail from the internet, one of them receives more or less secure mail
          >> from associated institutions.
          >>
          >> E-mail received on the "internet" interface receives full processing,
          >> including amavis which calls spamassassin (by proxy filter) and it
          >> should offer "may" level TLS (no discussion about that please ;-)).
          >>
          >> The e-mail received on the "secure" interface receives limited
          >> processing, e.g. no amavis and it doesn't need to offer TLS.
          >>
          >> Besides that there are also a few "internal" interfaces postfix listens
          >> on as well, with minimal processing, but with dkim signing.
          >>
          >> So there are actually multiple flows through the system, depending on
          >> the interface the mail was received on.
          >>
          >> I want to start using postscreen. Of course I am not going to "test" in
          >> a production environment, so I made a comparable postfix installation
          >> and with that installation I ran into a problem:
          >>
          >> The options (-o) that I specify on the various per-interface smtpd
          >> instances are NOT honoured anymore. I can check that quite easily
          >> because the hello string varies per interface and also TLS is no longer
          >> offered (disabled in the main.cf and enable on a per-interface basis in
          >> the master.cf file). When I revert to non-postscreen operation, it works
          >> like expected.
          >>
          >> Is this intentional? A know bug? Or something I should do another way?
          >> Anyone that has this configuration running, with postscreen?
          >>
          >> I must say the "howto" isn't very clear on this matter, it assumes you
          >> only have only one external interface.
          >>
          >> Thanks in advance.
          >
          > http://www.postfix.org/POSTSCREEN_README.html
          > Have you followed those instructions?

          Yes I did (of course).

          The README does NOT give any information on the use of multiple
          interfaces. It says "change ... into ..." but my master file doesn't
          have these lines. It would be much better if it would explain HOW it
          works so you can do the adjustments yourself.

          > AFAIK, you can bind 'postscreen' to a specific interface by specifying
          > a hostname or an IP address in front of the port name or number in
          > 'master.cf';
          >
          > 192.0.2.1:smtp inet .... postscreen
          >
          > And then have a regular Postfix instance on a seperate address;
          >
          > 192.0.2.2:smtp inet .... smtpd

          I tried another variant:

          192.168.0.1:smtp inet ... postscreen
          -o options...

          192.168.0.1:pass inet ... smtpd
          -o options...

          This resembles the approach in the README most closely.

          Postfix does start, but it doesn't honour the options, on both
          instances. It's very simple to check, because I have postcheck report
          another welcome string on every interface. Now it shows the "default"
          welcome string, without postscreen, it gives the proper welcome string.

          > If you cannot simplify your setup, you may need this;
          > http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html

          Read that too. It is not completely clear to me, but I suspect this
          gives me multiples queues too, which is not what I want, I want to route
          e-mail between all interfaces.

          > Other than that, post proof that options are not honored anymore. The
          > most likely cause is that you are trying to apply something to
          > 'postscreen' that is only supported for 'smtpd'?

          See above, SMTP welcome string. Which I added as an option to both the
          smtpd and the postscreen line... None of them were honoured.
        • Birta Levente
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
            On 21/02/2013 15:32, Erik Slagter wrote:
            > On 21-02-13 13:04, DTNX Postmaster wrote:
            >
            >>> Please help me with the following. I have here a postfix system that
            >>> listens on multiple (external) interfaces, e.g. one of them receives
            >>> e-mail from the internet, one of them receives more or less secure mail
            >>> from associated institutions.
            >>>
            >>> E-mail received on the "internet" interface receives full processing,
            >>> including amavis which calls spamassassin (by proxy filter) and it
            >>> should offer "may" level TLS (no discussion about that please ;-)).
            >>>
            >>> The e-mail received on the "secure" interface receives limited
            >>> processing, e.g. no amavis and it doesn't need to offer TLS.
            >>>
            >>> Besides that there are also a few "internal" interfaces postfix listens
            >>> on as well, with minimal processing, but with dkim signing.
            >>>
            >>> So there are actually multiple flows through the system, depending on
            >>> the interface the mail was received on.
            >>>
            >>> I want to start using postscreen. Of course I am not going to "test" in
            >>> a production environment, so I made a comparable postfix installation
            >>> and with that installation I ran into a problem:
            >>>
            >>> The options (-o) that I specify on the various per-interface smtpd
            >>> instances are NOT honoured anymore. I can check that quite easily
            >>> because the hello string varies per interface and also TLS is no longer
            >>> offered (disabled in the main.cf and enable on a per-interface basis in
            >>> the master.cf file). When I revert to non-postscreen operation, it works
            >>> like expected.
            >>>
            >>> Is this intentional? A know bug? Or something I should do another way?
            >>> Anyone that has this configuration running, with postscreen?
            >>>
            >>> I must say the "howto" isn't very clear on this matter, it assumes you
            >>> only have only one external interface.
            >>>
            >>> Thanks in advance.
            >>
            >> http://www.postfix.org/POSTSCREEN_README.html
            >> Have you followed those instructions?
            >
            > Yes I did (of course).
            >
            > The README does NOT give any information on the use of multiple
            > interfaces. It says "change ... into ..." but my master file doesn't
            > have these lines. It would be much better if it would explain HOW it
            > works so you can do the adjustments yourself.
            >
            >> AFAIK, you can bind 'postscreen' to a specific interface by specifying
            >> a hostname or an IP address in front of the port name or number in
            >> 'master.cf';
            >>
            >> 192.0.2.1:smtp inet .... postscreen
            >>
            >> And then have a regular Postfix instance on a seperate address;
            >>
            >> 192.0.2.2:smtp inet .... smtpd
            >
            > I tried another variant:
            >
            > 192.168.0.1:smtp inet ... postscreen
            > -o options...
            >
            > 192.168.0.1:pass inet ... smtpd
            > -o options...
            >
            > This resembles the approach in the README most closely.
            >
            > Postfix does start, but it doesn't honour the options, on both
            > instances. It's very simple to check, because I have postcheck report
            > another welcome string on every interface. Now it shows the "default"
            > welcome string, without postscreen, it gives the proper welcome string.

            It's mine:

            postscreen_greet_banner = $smtpd_banner/Postscreen enabled

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
              On 21/02/2013 15:56, Erik Slagter wrote:
              > On 21-02-13 14:41, Birta Levente wrote:
              >>> Postfix does start, but it doesn't honour the options, on both
              >>> instances. It's very simple to check, because I have postcheck report
              >>> another welcome string on every interface. Now it shows the "default"
              >>> welcome string, without postscreen, it gives the proper welcome string.
              >>
              >> It's mine:
              >>
              >> postscreen_greet_banner = $smtpd_banner/Postscreen enabled
              >
              > I don't understand?

              As I understand, you verify the new postscreen enabled configuration
              with welcome string, which as I understand is the smtp banner.

              Postscreen enabled smtp banner is set by postscreen_greet_banner.

              Levi
            • DTNX Postmaster
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                On Feb 21, 2013, at 14:32, Erik Slagter <erik@...> wrote:

                > On 21-02-13 13:04, DTNX Postmaster wrote:
                >
                >> http://www.postfix.org/POSTSCREEN_README.html
                >> Have you followed those instructions?
                >
                > Yes I did (of course).
                >
                > The README does NOT give any information on the use of multiple
                > interfaces. It says "change ... into ..." but my master file doesn't
                > have these lines. It would be much better if it would explain HOW it
                > works so you can do the adjustments yourself.

                [snip]

                >> Other than that, post proof that options are not honored anymore. The
                >> most likely cause is that you are trying to apply something to
                >> 'postscreen' that is only supported for 'smtpd'?
                >
                > See above, SMTP welcome string. Which I added as an option to both the
                > smtpd and the postscreen line... None of them were honoured.

                Postscreen has its own set of options. Read the documentation;

                http://www.postfix.org/postscreen.8.html

                Also, avoid trying to 'optimize' for cosmetic reasons. Things like the
                welcome string are generally only seen by machines, have no impact on
                the operation of the mail server in general, and so on. But if you
                cannot resist doing so, this may be what you are looking for;

                http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#postscreen_greet_banner

                Cya,
                Jona
              • Erik Slagter
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                  On 21-02-13 15:29, DTNX Postmaster wrote:
                  >> See above, SMTP welcome string. Which I added as an option to both the
                  >> smtpd and the postscreen line... None of them were honoured.
                  >
                  > Postscreen has its own set of options. Read the documentation;
                  > http://www.postfix.org/postscreen.8.html

                  man postscreen.

                  The postscreen (and fwiw tslproxy) has it's own set of options which
                  are... by default... copied from the standard smtpd_* options!

                  Also tried it with setting these options explicitly (with no success),
                  but didn't want to flood information.

                  > Also, avoid trying to 'optimize' for cosmetic reasons. Things like the
                  > welcome string are generally only seen by machines, have no impact on
                  > the operation of the mail server in general, and so on. But if you
                  > cannot resist doing so, this may be what you are looking for;
                  >
                  > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#postscreen_greet_banner

                  The welcome string is very important for me, because, as may be obvious
                  now, that's a very quick way to check if per-interface settings are
                  honoured. This is completely NOT about the welcome string on itself,
                  it's about per-interface options not being honoured, so I end up without
                  TLS support on the outside interface, whilst if I disable postscreen, it
                  simply works!

                  The only thing I need is an example of a master.cf file where postfix
                  listens on various interfaces with different options, and then the same
                  with postscreen enabled and still working (i.e. the per-interface smtpd
                  options are honoured).

                  Or a good explanation of the workflow of postscreen, a.o. what the two
                  "example" lines in the README actually do, so I can adapt that to my
                  situation.

                  Thx.
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                    Erik Slagter:
                    > I tried another variant:
                    >
                    > 192.168.0.1:smtp inet ... postscreen
                    > -o options...
                    >
                    > 192.168.0.1:pass inet ... smtpd
                    > -o options...

                    If you don't show the exact options and the exact logging
                    then no-one can say what mistake YOU are making.

                    Wietse
                  • Erik Slagter
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                      On 21-02-13 15:50, Wietse Venema wrote:
                      > Erik Slagter:
                      >> I tried another variant:
                      >>
                      >> 192.168.0.1:smtp inet ... postscreen
                      >> -o options...
                      >>
                      >> 192.168.0.1:pass inet ... smtpd
                      >> -o options...
                      >
                      > If you don't show the exact options and the exact logging
                      > then no-one can say what mistake YOU are making.

                      Okay, I didn't post the complete master.cf because I thought it wouldn't
                      be necessary, so here it comes. This is the "plain" version that works,
                      without postscreen enabled. If somebody can explain to me how to
                      transform this into something working with postscreen enabled AND TLS
                      working on the outside interface (ppp0, ipv4 and ipv6), I'd be very
                      grateful, but really I've tried various approaches without luck.
                      Postscreen on itself is working fine, btw.

                      # ==========================================================================
                      # service type private unpriv chroot wakeup maxproc command + args
                      # (yes) (yes) (yes) (never) (100)
                      # ==========================================================================

                      #smtp inet n - n - 1 smtpd
                      #smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
                      #smtpd pass - - n - - smtpd
                      #dnsblog unix - - n - 0 dnsblog
                      #tlsproxy unix - - n - 0 tlsproxy

                      #
                      # outside -> inside
                      # postfix(25) -> amavis(10025)
                      #

                      mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                      -o myhostname=eriks.xs4all.nl
                      -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv4-25
                      -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may
                      -o postscreen_tls_security_level=may
                      -o tlsproxy_tls_security_level=may
                      -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025
                      -o soft_bounce=no
                      -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv4

                      mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                      -o myhostname=mx1.ipv6.slagter.name
                      -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv6-25
                      -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may
                      -o postscreen_tls_security_level=may
                      -o tlsproxy_tls_security_level=may
                      -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025
                      -o soft_bounce=no
                      -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv6

                      #
                      # amavis(10025) -> postfix(10026)
                      #

                      nemesis.ipv4:10026 inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                      -o
                      receive_override_options=no_unknown_recipient_checks,no_header_body_checks
                      -o body_checks=
                      -o header_checks=
                      -o myhostname=nemesis.slagter.name
                      -o smtp_helo_name=nemesis.slagter.name
                      -o smtpd_banner=nemesis.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-lo-ipv4-10026
                      -o smtpd_client_restrictions=
                      -o smtpd_authorized_xforward_hosts=10.1.1.1

                      #
                      # postfix(25) -> dkimproxy(11025)
                      #

                      nemesis.ipv4:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                      -o body_checks=
                      -o header_checks=
                      -o myhostname=nemesis.slagter.name
                      -o smtp_helo_name=nemesis.slagter.name
                      -o smtpd_banner=nemesis.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-eth0-ipv4-25
                      -o mynetworks=127.0.0.0/8
                      -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:11025

                      nemesis.ipv6:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                      -o body_checks=
                      -o header_checks=
                      -o myhostname=nemesis.slagter.name
                      -o smtp_helo_name=nemesis.slagter.name
                      -o smtpd_banner=nemesis.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-eth0-ipv6-25
                      -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:11025

                      #
                      # dkimproxy(11025) -> postfix(11026)
                      #

                      nemesis.ipv4:11026 inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                      -o
                      receive_override_options=no_unknown_recipient_checks,no_header_body_checks
                      -o body_checks=
                      -o header_checks=
                      -o myhostname=nemesis.slagter.name
                      -o smtp_helo_name=nemesis.slagter.name
                      -o smtpd_banner=nemesis.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-lo-ipv4-11026
                      -o smtpd_client_restrictions=
                      -o smtpd_authorized_xforward_hosts=10.1.1.1

                      #
                      # locally generated
                      #

                      #localhost.ipv4:smtp inet n - n - - postscreen
                      localhost.ipv4:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                      -o body_checks=
                      -o header_checks=
                      -o myhostname=nemesis.slagter.name
                      -o smtp_helo_name=nemesis.slagter.name
                      -o smtpd_banner=nemesis.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-lo-ipv4-25
                      -o mynetworks=127.0.0.0/8

                      #nemesis.ipv4:smtp inet n - n - - postscreen
                      nemesis.ipv4:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                      -o body_checks=
                      -o header_checks=
                      -o myhostname=nemesis.slagter.name
                      -o smtp_helo_name=nemesis.slagter.name
                      -o smtpd_banner=nemesis.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-vlan2-alt-ipv4-25
                      -o mynetworks=10.0.2.0/24

                      ::1:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                      -o body_checks=
                      -o header_checks=
                      -o myhostname=nemesis.slagter.name
                      -o smtp_helo_name=nemesis.slagter.name
                      -o smtpd_banner=nemesis.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-lo-ipv6-25

                      pickup fifo n - n 60 1 pickup
                      cleanup unix n - n - 0 cleanup
                      qmgr fifo n - n 300 1 qmgr
                      tlsmgr unix - - n 1000? 1 tlsmgr
                      rewrite unix - - n - - trivial-rewrite
                      bounce unix - - n - 0 bounce
                      defer unix - - n - 0 bounce
                      trace unix - - n - 0 bounce
                      verify unix - - n - 1 verify
                      flush unix n - n 1000? 0 flush
                      proxymap unix - - n - - proxymap
                      smtp unix - - n - - smtp
                      relay unix - - n - - smtp -o
                      smtp_helo_timeout=5 -o smtp_connect_timeout=5
                      showq unix n - n - - showq
                      error unix - - n - - error
                      local unix - n n - - local
                      virtual unix - n n - - virtual
                      lmtp unix - - n - - lmtp
                      anvil unix - - n - 1 anvil

                      smtp-inside unix - - n - - smtp
                      -o myhostname=nemesis.slagter.name
                      -o smtp_helo_name=nemesis.slagter.name
                      -o smtp_bind_address6=2001:980:5fef:1::1

                      smtp-default unix - - n - - smtp
                      -o myhostname=eriks.xs4all.nl
                      -o smtp_helo_name=eriks.xs4all.nl
                      -o smtp_bind_address6=2001:980:5fef::1
                      -o smtp_tls_security_level=may
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                        Erik Slagter:
                        > On 21-02-13 15:50, Wietse Venema wrote:
                        > > Erik Slagter:
                        > >> I tried another variant:
                        > >>
                        > >> 192.168.0.1:smtp inet ... postscreen
                        > >> -o options...
                        > >>
                        > >> 192.168.0.1:pass inet ... smtpd
                        > >> -o options...
                        > >
                        > > If you don't show the exact options and the exact logging
                        > > then no-one can say what mistake YOU are making.
                        >
                        > Okay, I didn't post the complete master.cf because I thought it wouldn't
                        > be necessary, so here it comes. This is the "plain" version that works,
                        > without postscreen enabled. If somebody can explain to me how to

                        Thank you for using Postfix.
                      • Erik Slagter
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                          On 21-02-13 16:16, Wietse Venema wrote:
                          > Erik Slagter:
                          > TO REPORT A PROBLEM see http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
                          > TO (UN)SUBSCRIBE see http://www.postfix.org/lists.html
                          > Thank you for using Postfix.

                          And I always thought I could be blunt at moments ;-)

                          PROBLEM (apparently this is a "problem")

                          * Summary

                          Setting up postscreen on a system with multiple external interfaces
                          causes per-interface smtpd options not to be honoured

                          * Complete error messages

                          None.

                          * Postfix logging

                          None relevant (really! the logging is exactly the same for postscreen
                          and non-postscreen operation, up to the problem the problem occurs).

                          * Postconf -n

                          alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
                          alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
                          allow_mail_to_commands = alias,forward
                          allow_mail_to_files = alias,forward
                          append_at_myorigin = yes
                          append_dot_mydomain = yes
                          command_time_limit = 300
                          config_directory = /etc/postfix
                          data_directory = /var/lib/postfix
                          default_privs = amavis
                          default_transport = smtp-default
                          delay_warning_time = 4
                          fast_flush_domains = $mydomain
                          inet_protocols = ipv6 ipv4
                          local_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
                          local_transport = local
                          mail_owner = postfix
                          mailbox_size_limit = 0
                          masquerade_domains = $mydomain
                          masquerade_exceptions = root
                          maximal_backoff_time = 1h
                          maximal_queue_lifetime = 21d
                          message_size_limit = 100000000
                          minimal_backoff_time = 2m
                          mydestination = nemesis.slagter.name, eriks.xs4all.nl, $myhostname,
                          localhost.$mydomain, localhost
                          mydomain = slagter.name
                          myhostname = nemesis.slagter.name
                          mynetworks = 10.0.0.0/8, 127.0.0.0/8, [2001:980:5fef::]/48 [::1]/128
                          [fe80::]/10
                          myorigin = $mydomain
                          notify_classes = bounce,2bounce,data,delay,resource,software
                          postscreen_access_list = permit_mynetworks,
                          cidr:/etc/postfix/postscreen_access.cidr
                          postscreen_bare_newline_action = enforce
                          postscreen_bare_newline_enable = yes
                          postscreen_blacklist_action = enforce
                          postscreen_cache_retention_time = 30d
                          postscreen_greet_action = enforce
                          postscreen_greet_banner = $smtpd_banner postscreen
                          postscreen_greet_ttl = 1h
                          postscreen_greet_wait = 2s
                          postscreen_non_smtp_command_action = enforce
                          postscreen_non_smtp_command_enable = yes
                          postscreen_pipelining_enable = yes
                          queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
                          queue_minfree = 0
                          queue_run_delay = 5m
                          recipient_delimiter = +
                          relay_domains = slagter.name, erikslag@..., eriks.xs4all.nl
                          setgid_group = postdrop
                          smtp_helo_name = eriks.xs4all.nl
                          smtp_send_xforward_command = yes
                          smtp_tls_block_early_mail_reply = yes
                          smtp_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/mx1_slagter_name_all_crt.pem
                          smtp_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/mx1_slagter_name_key.pem
                          smtp_tls_loglevel = 1
                          smtp_tls_security_level = none
                          smtpd_authorized_xforward_hosts = 127.0.0.0/8,10.1.0.0/16,10.0.0.0/16
                          smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name
                          smtpd_client_restrictions = permit
                          smtpd_delay_reject = no
                          smtpd_etrn_restrictions = permit
                          smtpd_helo_required = yes
                          smtpd_helo_restrictions = permit
                          smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_recipient
                          reject_unauth_destination check_recipient_access
                          hash:/etc/postfix/local_users permit
                          smtpd_sender_restrictions = permit
                          smtpd_tls_ask_ccert = yes
                          smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/mx1_slagter_name_all_crt.pem
                          smtpd_tls_dh1024_param_file = /etc/postfix/dh_1024.pem
                          smtpd_tls_dh512_param_file = /etc/postfix/dh_512.pem
                          smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/mx1_slagter_name_key.pem
                          smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
                          smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
                          smtpd_tls_req_ccert = no
                          smtpd_tls_security_level = none
                          strict_rfc821_envelopes = no
                          tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom

                          * Postfinger

                          ostfinger - postfix configuration on do feb 21 16:32:28 CET 2013
                          version: 1.30

                          Warning: postfinger output may show private configuration information,
                          such as ip addresses and/or domain names which you do not want to show
                          to the public. If this is the case it is your responsibility to modify
                          the output to hide this private information. [Remove this warning with
                          the --nowarn option.]

                          --System Parameters--
                          mail_version = 2.9.4
                          hostname = nemesis
                          uname = Linux nemesis 3.5.3 #1 SMP Thu Aug 30 18:52:19 CEST 2012 x86_64
                          x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

                          --Packaging information--
                          looks like this postfix comes from RPM package: postfix-2.9.4-2.fc17.x86_64

                          --main.cf non-default parameters--
[...]

                          --master.cf--
[...]

                          -- end of postfinger output --

                          * All other paragraphs are not relevant.

                          Thank you for your attention.
                        • Reindl Harald
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                            Am 21.02.2013 16:35, schrieb Erik Slagter:

                            > mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                            > -o myhostname=eriks.xs4all.nl
                            > -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv4-25
                            > -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may
                            > -o postscreen_tls_security_level=may
                            > -o tlsproxy_tls_security_level=may
                            > -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025
                            > -o soft_bounce=no
                            > -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv4

                            and how should this be supposed to use postscreen
                            with "smtpd" instead of "postscreen" as command?
                          • Erik Slagter
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                              If I set up postscreen as closely as possible to the postscreen README
                              document, I get this (diff to previous message) (I'm sorry lots of it
                              has been folded). The log says "address already in use for 10.1.1.1",
                              this is interesting because none of the changes involved 10.1.1.1.

                              --- a 2013-02-21 16:37:18.348109048 +0100
                              +++ b 2013-02-21 17:25:24.337265305 +0100
                              @@ -8,7 +8,7 @@

                              * Postfix logging

                              -None relevant (really! the logging is exactly the same for postscreen
                              and non-postscreen operation, up to the problem the problem occurs).
                              +Feb 21 16:46:03 nemesis-vlan1 postfix/master[28268]: fatal: bind
                              10.1.1.1 port 25: Address already in use

                              * Postconf -n

                              @@ -93,7 +93,7 @@

                              * Postfinger

                              -Postfinger - postfix configuration on do feb 21 16:32:28 CET 2013
                              +postfinger - postfix configuration on do feb 21 17:24:49 CET 2013
                              version: 1.30

                              Warning: postfinger output may show private configuration information,
                              @@ -178,7 +178,10 @@

                              --master.cf--
                              -mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                              +smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
                              +dnsblog unix - - n - 0 dnsblog
                              +tlsproxy unix - - n - 0 tlsproxy
                              +mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp pass n - n - 2 smtpd
                              @@ -187,7 +190,7 @@
                              -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025
                              -o soft_bounce=no
                              -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv4
                              -mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                              +mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp pass n - n - 2 smtpd
                              -o myhostname=mx1.ipv6.slagter.name
                              -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv6-25
                              -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may
                              @@ -288,3 +291,6 @@
                              -- end of postfinger output --
                            • Erik Slagter
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                                Another variation I tried ("pass" and "postscreen" the other way
                                around). This works, but gives the original problem, the smtpd options
                                are not honoured (especially banner and starttls="may"), even though I
                                set both:

                                -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may
                                -o postscreen_tls_security_level=may

                                Output of postfinger, diff to first non-postscreen config:

                                --- a 2013-02-21 17:35:41.568369098 +0100
                                +++ c 2013-02-21 17:38:58.274633686 +0100
                                @@ -1,4 +1,4 @@
                                -Postfinger - postfix configuration on do feb 21 16:32:28 CET 2013
                                +postfinger - postfix configuration on do feb 21 17:38:58 CET 2013
                                version: 1.30

                                Warning: postfinger output may show private configuration information,
                                @@ -83,7 +83,10 @@

                                --master.cf--
                                -mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                                +smtpd pass - - n - - smtpd
                                +dnsblog unix - - n - 0 dnsblog
                                +tlsproxy unix - - n - 0 tlsproxy
                                +mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 postscreen
                                @@ -92,7 +95,7 @@
                                -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025
                                -o soft_bounce=no
                                -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv4
                                -mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                                +mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp pass n - n - 2 postscreen
                                -o myhostname=mx1.ipv6.slagter.name
                                -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv6-25
                                -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may

                                * Log output

                                Feb 21 17:42:40 nemesis-vlan1 postfix/master[4547]: daemon started --
                                version 2.9.4, configuration /etc/postfix
                                Feb 21 17:42:42 nemesis-vlan1 postfix/postscreen[4553]: CONNECT from
                                [10.1.1.5]:49309 to [83.163.214.71]:25
                                Feb 21 17:42:42 nemesis-vlan1 postfix/postscreen[4553]: WHITELISTED
                                [10.1.1.5]:49309
                                Feb 21 17:42:42 nemesis-vlan1 postfix/postscreen[4553]: cache
                                btree:/var/lib/postfix/postscreen_cache-ipv4 full cleanup: retained=5
                                dropped=0 entries
                                Feb 21 17:42:42 nemesis-vlan1 postfix/smtpd[4554]: connect from
                                eos.ipv4.slagter.name[10.1.1.5]
                                Feb 21 17:42:50 nemesis-vlan1 postfix/smtpd[4554]: disconnect from
                                eos.ipv4.slagter.name[10.1.1.5]
                              • Reindl Harald
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                                  Am 21.02.2013 17:46, schrieb Erik Slagter:
                                  > Another variation I tried ("pass" and "postscreen" the other way around). This works, but gives the original
                                  > problem, the smtpd options are not honoured (especially banner and starttls="may"), even though I set both:

                                  postscreen != smtpd so why should it do so?
                                  http://www.postfix.org/postscreen.8.html

                                  The Postfix postscreen(8) server provides additional pro-
                                  tection against mail server overload. One postscreen(8)
                                  process handles multiple inbound SMTP connections, and
                                  decides which clients may talk to a Postfix SMTP server
                                  process.
                                • Erik Slagter
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                                    On 21-02-13 16:45, Reindl Harald wrote:
                                    > Am 21.02.2013 16:35, schrieb Erik Slagter:
                                    >
                                    >> mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                                    >> [ ... ]

                                    > and how should this be supposed to use postscreen
                                    > with "smtpd" instead of "postscreen" as command?

                                    Interesting how anybody is keen on telling me I am doing it wrong, which
                                    I sort of already had figured because it doesn't work... On the other
                                    hand nobody has given a hint on how to do it "right" then.

                                    Likewise people pointing me to the postscreen HOWTO, which I've been
                                    reading numerous times now and really does _not_ give an answer to this
                                    problem.

                                    >> mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                                    >> [ ... ]

                                    > and how should this be supposed to use postscreen
                                    > with "smtpd" instead of "postscreen" as command?

                                    Well don't ask me, I don't know, I am just trying "everything" because
                                    the documentation doesn't tell me how to do it?
                                  • DTNX Postmaster
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                                      On Feb 21, 2013, at 18:28, Erik Slagter <erik@...> wrote:

                                      > On 21-02-13 16:45, Reindl Harald wrote:
                                      >> Am 21.02.2013 16:35, schrieb Erik Slagter:
                                      >>
                                      >>> mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                                      > >> [ ... ]
                                      >
                                      >> and how should this be supposed to use postscreen
                                      >> with "smtpd" instead of "postscreen" as command?
                                      >
                                      > Interesting how anybody is keen on telling me I am doing it wrong, which I sort of already had figured because it doesn't work... On the other hand nobody has given a hint on how to do it "right" then.
                                      >
                                      > Likewise people pointing me to the postscreen HOWTO, which I've been reading numerous times now and really does _not_ give an answer to this problem.
                                      >
                                      > >> mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                                      > >> [ ... ]
                                      >
                                      > > and how should this be supposed to use postscreen
                                      > > with "smtpd" instead of "postscreen" as command?
                                      >
                                      > Well don't ask me, I don't know, I am just trying "everything" because the documentation doesn't tell me how to do it?

                                      You keep blaming the documentation and the software, when the problem
                                      is most likely in your understanding of it.

                                      Simplify your configuration. Don't assume that what goes for 'smtpd'
                                      goes for 'postscreen' as well. Pick sensible defaults for 'main.cf',
                                      and override only the options that are absolutely necessary.

                                      If you have a legitimate reason (as in, contractual obligations or
                                      whatnot) to require seperate hostnames, greetings, TLS settings and
                                      such, use the multi-instance features and seperate them. Otherwise the
                                      KISS principle applies.

                                      Cya,
                                      Jona
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                                        On 2/21/2013 10:46 AM, Erik Slagter wrote:
                                        > Another variation I tried ("pass" and "postscreen" the other way
                                        > around).

                                        You've shared too much. By now no one has any idea what you're doing.

                                        Overview:

                                        Postscreen is a front-end listener for smtpd. It's not a proxy.
                                        Incoming connections are handled by postscreen until postscreen
                                        either decides it's clean and passes the connection endpoint to
                                        smtpd, or rejected. This is covered in more detail in the
                                        POSTSCREEN_README.

                                        When postscreen decides to pass the connection to smtpd, postscreen
                                        is no longer involved, and smtpd has no knowledge of what transpired
                                        between postscreen and a client.

                                        Solution:

                                        [this is not a complete how-to, but will show you how to use
                                        multiple interfaces]

                                        At some point you reported:

                                        > mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                                        > -o myhostname=eriks.xs4all.nl
                                        > -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv4-25
                                        > -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may

                                        Ok.

                                        > -o postscreen_tls_security_level=may
                                        > -o tlsproxy_tls_security_level=may

                                        both these belong in main.cf, or better, set main.cf:
                                        "smtpd_security_level = may" and leave these at their defaults.

                                        > -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025
                                        > -o soft_bounce=no
                                        > -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv4

                                        The cache map parameter belongs in main.cf. Probably a mistake to
                                        create separate caches.

                                        Same comments as above for the smtpd listener below.

                                        > mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                                        > -o myhostname=mx1.ipv6.slagter.name
                                        > -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv6-25
                                        > -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may
                                        > -o postscreen_tls_security_level=may
                                        > -o tlsproxy_tls_security_level=may
                                        > -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025
                                        > -o soft_bounce=no
                                        > -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv6

                                        For the TLS part, it will be much easier to turn TLS on in main.cf,
                                        then turn it off on the interfaces where you don't want to offer it
                                        with "-o smtpd_tls_security_level=none".

                                        # main.cf
                                        smtpd_tls_security_level = may

                                        For the greeting banners, set them as macros in main.cf and then
                                        refer to them by $name in master.cf

                                        # main.cf
                                        postscreen_greet_v4 = postscreen.v4.mx1 ESMTP greets you
                                        postscreen_greet_v6 = postscreen.v6.mx1 ESTMP greets you

                                        Now tell postscreen which ports to listen on and to enable the banner:

                                        # master.cf

                                        mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
                                        -o postscreen_greet_banner=$postscreen_greet_v4

                                        mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
                                        -o postscreen_greet_banner=$postscreen_greet_v6

                                        Next we tell smtpd to get it's connections from postscreen.
                                        On your existing "smtp ... smtpd" entries where you want postscreen,
                                        change the "smtp inet n" part to "smtp pass -"
                                        This is described in detail in
                                        http://www.postfix.org/POSTSCREEN_README.html#config

                                        so your existing entry:
                                        > mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd

                                        would become:
                                        mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp pass - - n - 2 smtpd

                                        Good luck.

                                        -- Noel Jones
                                      • Erik Slagter
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                                          On 21-02-13 19:17, DTNX Postmaster wrote:

                                          > You keep blaming the documentation and the software, when the problem
                                          > is most likely in your understanding of it.

                                          Yes I blame the documentation, but not the software. I've been using
                                          postfix for, well, something like ten years or more, I think it's the
                                          best thing since sliced bread, especially compared to sendmail, qmail
                                          and exchange.

                                          The way I've configured it now, really suits the demands. I cannot
                                          remember any phrases in the documentation recommending not to do it this
                                          way (i.e. start multiple smtp listeners on different addresses with
                                          different options, in one master process). If it actually appears to be
                                          disrecommended, then that's clear to me, no problem.

                                          > Simplify your configuration. Don't assume that what goes for 'smtpd'
                                          > goes for 'postscreen' as well.

                                          I'd like to, but where do I find what I CAN assume? The factual
                                          documentation of postscreen is so sparse, it's mostly HOWTO,
                                          monkey-see-monkey-do.

                                          > Pick sensible defaults for 'main.cf',
                                          > and override only the options that are absolutely necessary.

                                          That's already done.

                                          > If you have a legitimate reason (as in, contractual obligations or
                                          > whatnot) to require seperate hostnames, greetings, TLS settings and
                                          > such, use the multi-instance features and seperate them. Otherwise the
                                          > KISS principle applies.

                                          Actually this way is much more KISS to me than running multiple
                                          instances of "master".

                                          I'm starting to think that the reason this operation is not documented,
                                          is because it's not possible. It looks like the postscreen layer
                                          literaly sits between the remote client and the smtp process, and the
                                          information where the connection took place (interface/address) is not
                                          available at the point where the smtpd is invoked.

                                          If that's the case, postscreen is not the way to go for me. I assumed
                                          postscreen was implemented a bit like proxy-filter, where you can run
                                          any number of filters on any number of addresses.
                                        • Erik Slagter
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                                            On 21-02-13 19:30, Noel Jones wrote:

                                            > You've shared too much. By now no one has any idea what you're doing.

                                            I'm just following the "REPORT A PROBLEM" procedure I was kindly pointed
                                            at...

                                            > When postscreen decides to pass the connection to smtpd, postscreen
                                            > is no longer involved, and smtpd has no knowledge of what transpired
                                            > between postscreen and a client.

                                            Yes at this point the smtpd/master has no knowledge of the
                                            interface/address, that's exactly the thing I fear.

                                            > At some point you reported:
                                            > [ .. ]
                                            >> -o postscreen_tls_security_level=may
                                            >> -o tlsproxy_tls_security_level=may
                                            >
                                            > both these belong in main.cf, or better, set main.cf:
                                            > "smtpd_security_level = may" and leave these at their defaults.

                                            Tried both, doesn't matter. The thing is that what way you set the smtpd
                                            options (in main.cf) you cannot override them with postscreen. So if you
                                            set the default value suitable for address a and b, they must be
                                            override for address c and d and vv. Yes, I have some internal address
                                            that need to have tls_security=none and yes, that works like a charm
                                            without postscreen enabled.

                                            >> -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv4
                                            >
                                            > The cache map parameter belongs in main.cf. Probably a mistake to
                                            > create separate caches.

                                            Nope, the cache map cannot be shared between two smtpd processes (see
                                            documentation ;-)). It's not a problem though, because one db holds ipv4
                                            addresses and the other is ipv6 addresses.

                                            > For the TLS part, it will be much easier to turn TLS on in main.cf,
                                            > then turn it off on the interfaces where you don't want to offer it
                                            > with "-o smtpd_tls_security_level=none".

                                            All relevant options for tls are actually set in main.cf. It's only that
                                            it's not enabled there, it's enabled on a per-address base. Which works.

                                            > For the greeting banners, set them as macros in main.cf and then
                                            > refer to them by $name in master.cf

                                            That's a possibility, but it's not necessary and doesn't solve the problem.

                                            > Now tell postscreen which ports to listen on and to enable the banner:
                                            >
                                            > # master.cf
                                            >
                                            > mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
                                            > -o postscreen_greet_banner=$postscreen_greet_v4
                                            >
                                            > mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
                                            > -o postscreen_greet_banner=$postscreen_greet_v6
                                            >
                                            > Next we tell smtpd to get it's connections from postscreen.
                                            > On your existing "smtp ... smtpd" entries where you want postscreen,
                                            > change the "smtp inet n" part to "smtp pass -"
                                            > This is described in detail in
                                            > http://www.postfix.org/POSTSCREEN_README.html#config
                                            >
                                            > so your existing entry:
                                            >> mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 2 smtpd
                                            >
                                            > would become:
                                            > mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp pass - - n - 2 smtpd

                                            I get your drift, but IIRC I already tried this (multiple times, with
                                            slight variations) and also reported about the outcoming of that:
                                            "fatal: address already in use".

                                            Did I already mention I have followed all the steps from the README as
                                            closely as possible?
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                                              On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 05:46:26PM +0100, Erik Slagter wrote:

                                              > Another variation I tried ("pass" and "postscreen" the other way
                                              > around). This works, but gives the original problem, the smtpd
                                              > options are not honoured (especially banner and starttls="may"),
                                              > even though I set both:

                                              Take a DEEP breath, relax and don't *try* implementing new
                                              configurations you don't yet understand. The shots in the dark will
                                              just get you more confused.

                                              It is time to try to *understand*.

                                              1. A running Postfix instance is a collection of separate background
                                              services (daemons) launched by an inetd-like service supervisor known
                                              as "master. These services run independently in separate processes
                                              and communicate with each other using unix-domain sockets.

                                              They are configured either via main.cf (best practice) or via
                                              master.cf "-o parameter=$value" overrides (when you must).

                                              The MOST important thing you need to understand about this is:

                                              Adding "-o FOO=BAR" to the master.cf entry for SERVICEA has
                                              NO EFFECT on the value of FOO in SERVICEB!

                                              Even when the MESSAGE is passed from SERVICEA to SERVICEB the
                                              parameter settings ARE NOT.

                                              Thus when you convert an existing "smtpd" entry to a "postscreen"
                                              entry, it is a grave mistake to leave the "smtpd" (-o options)
                                              that tune the functionality of smtpd attached to the "postscreen"
                                              service. It (postscreen) won't care and the destination "smtpd"
                                              to which the message is handed off will no longer know the parameters.

                                              2. To provide multiple smtpd personalities, you need to implement multiple
                                              "smtpd" services each with their own settings. (As you do when smtpd
                                              listens directly on an "inet" socket).

                                              3. To implement 2. with postscreen, each "inet" listening postscreen
                                              (with settings relevant for postscreen) must hand the message off
                                              to an "smtpd" appropriate for its listening IP address.

                                              4. Therefore, you need multiple "smtpd" "pass" services for "postscreen"
                                              to hand the connection to. The postscreen(8) manual page refers you to

                                              http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_service_name

                                              which must specify the service name of a "pass" entry in master.cf,
                                              you need one of these for each distinct postscreen instance.

                                              192.0.2.1:25 inet ... postscreen
                                              -o smtpd_service_name=25@192.0.2.1
                                              -o <postscreen-related-settings> ...
                                              25@192.0.2.1 pass ... smtpd
                                              -o <smtpd-related-settings> ...

                                              Lather, rinse, repeat:

                                              192.0.2.1:587 inet ... postscreen
                                              -o smtpd_service_name=587@192.0.2.1
                                              -o <postscreen-related-settings> ...
                                              587@192.0.2.1 pass ... smtpd
                                              -o <smtpd-related-settings> ...

                                              Lather, rinse, repeat:

                                              192.0.2.2:25 inet ... postscreen
                                              -o smtpd_service_name=25@192.0.2.2
                                              -o <postscreen-related-settings> ...
                                              25@192.0.2.2 pass ... smtpd
                                              -o <smtpd-related-settings> ...

                                              Lather, rinse, repeat:

                                              192.0.2.3:25 inet ... postscreen
                                              -o smtpd_service_name=25@192.0.2.3
                                              -o <postscreen-related-settings> ...
                                              25@192.0.3.2 pass ... smtpd
                                              -o <smtpd-related-settings> ...

                                              ... but do stop eventually ... :-)

                                            • Erik Slagter
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 22, 2013
                                                On 21-02-13 20:07, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

                                                > [ ... ] (lot of patronising text removed)

                                                > 4. Therefore, you need multiple "smtpd" "pass" services for "postscreen"
                                                > to hand the connection to. The postscreen(8) manual page refers you to
                                                >
                                                > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_service_name
                                                >
                                                > which must specify the service name of a "pass" entry in master.cf,
                                                > you need one of these for each distinct postscreen instance.

                                                And THAT is exactly the clue I was looking for! It works!

                                                The only thing that would have to be in the README file is the need to
                                                use "smtpd service names" in case of multiple smtp listeners, point to
                                                http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_service_name and then add a
                                                bit of really helpful text to the current one:

                                                "The internal service that postscreen(8) hands off allowed connections
                                                to. In a future version there may be different classes of SMTP service."

                                                If you google for this command, you'll get references to either this
                                                text or this thread :-(

                                                So for other people seeking to do the same, this does the trick, it's
                                                also simple once you know, the "service" parameter of a "pass" service
                                                is not an address:portno combo but an identifier:

                                                #
                                                # outside -> inside
                                                # postfix(25) -> amavis(10025)
                                                #

                                                mx1.ipv4.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
                                                -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv4
                                                -o
                                                postscreen_greet_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-mx1-postscreen-1-ppp0-ipv4-25
                                                -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-mx1-postscreen-2-ppp0-ipv4-25
                                                -o postscreen_tls_security_level=none
                                                -o smtpd_service_name=mx1_ipv4

                                                mx1_ipv4 pass - - n - - smtpd
                                                -o myhostname=mx1.slagter.name
                                                -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-$mail_name-mx1-ppp0-ipv4-25
                                                -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may
                                                -o smtpd_proxy_filter=nemesis.ipv4:10025 # amavis

                                                mx1.ipv6.slagter.name:smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
                                                -o postscreen_cache_map=btree:$data_directory/postscreen_cache-ipv6
                                                -o
                                                postscreen_greet_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-mx1-postscreen-1-ppp0-ipv6-25
                                                -o smtpd_banner=mx1.slagter.name-ESMTP-mx1-postscreen-2-ppp0-ipv6-25
                                                -o postscreen_tls_security_level=none
                                                -o smtpd_service_name=mx1_ipv6

                                                mx1_ipv6 pass - - n - - smtpd
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 22, 2013
                                                  On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:04:34AM +0100, Erik Slagter wrote:

                                                  First, a quick comment, all of the sturm and drang in this thread
                                                  is the result of a peculiar reluctance of most users to heed the
                                                  advice in MULTI_INSTANCE_README and simplify their configurations
                                                  by handling each distinct message flow in a separate Postfix
                                                  instance, each of which can be configured with few if any master.cf
                                                  tweaks, and understood and maintained much more easily.

                                                  A combination of MULTI_INSTANCE_README and POSTSCREEN_README would
                                                  get you there much more quickly, and even allow simpler configuration
                                                  of cases where identical policies apply to multiple protocol:address
                                                  endpoints, since you can just set inet_interfaces in main.cf to list
                                                  one or more network addresses for a given instance.

                                                  I strongly recommend that you take the time to refactor your
                                                  configuration to separate each flow into its own queue. The initial
                                                  investment of time pays off quickly in easier to manage configurations
                                                  and operational support (e.g. separate queues make it easier to
                                                  see which flow is having problems).

                                                  > On 21-02-13 20:07, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > > [ ... ] (lot of patronising text removed)

                                                  Text that is required background knowledge to understand what
                                                  follows, misconstrued to be patronizing rather than emphatic. Chill
                                                  man, the blustery tone of this thread is mostly the result of your
                                                  reticense to (AFAIK you never did) post the actual master.cf
                                                  configuration that failed to meet your expectations. You should
                                                  probably also not have included the text below in the initial post:

                                                  The options (-o) that I specify on the various per-interface
                                                  smtpd instances are NOT honoured anymore. ...

                                                  Is this intentional? A know[n] bug? ...

                                                  I must say the "howto" isn't very clear on this matter, it assumes you
                                                  only have only one external interface.

                                                  This is rude to the developers who take great pains to make Postfix
                                                  unusually robust and well documented. The "patronising" text is
                                                  sufficient to logically deduce that (and why) you need multiple
                                                  smtpd "pass" services, at which point one looks for a parameter to
                                                  specify the pass service, and finds it (in this case clustered
                                                  sub-optimally with unrelated settings, we'll fix that) in the postscreen(8)
                                                  manpage.

                                                  If Wietse is still reading this, we should move "smtpd_service_name"
                                                  to its ownn section nearer the top of the postscreen(8) manpage.

                                                  Fortunately, the parameter name is just what you'd expect if you've
                                                  ever seen "cleanup_service_name" which plays the same role one
                                                  handoff downstream.

                                                  > >4. Therefore, you need multiple "smtpd" "pass" services for "postscreen"
                                                  > > to hand the connection to. The postscreen(8) manual page refers you to
                                                  > >
                                                  > > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_service_name
                                                  > >
                                                  > > which must specify the service name of a "pass" entry in master.cf,
                                                  > > you need one of these for each distinct postscreen instance.
                                                  >
                                                  > And THAT is exactly the clue I was looking for! It works!

                                                  Naturally, since it is simply a logical consequence of understanding
                                                  the patronising text. :-) Perhaps some people even spotted the
                                                  transposition error in the last "Lather, rinse, repeat" example.
                                                  (It has been observed that students pay more attention to technical
                                                  books that contain minor errors that require them to pause and
                                                  think, and that they learn more from these than from polished
                                                  material that requires less attention).

                                                  [
                                                  Plus the fact that "unix" and "pass" service names are just file
                                                  names in /var/spool/postfix/private/ which I started to describe
                                                  in my first post, but decided to keep it more concise in the hope
                                                  that this will be apparent from context.

                                                  The master.cf services live in one of three namespaces:

                                                  - inet/public (inet can't be private).

                                                  - unix/public

                                                  - unix/private

                                                  Each of the "unix" cases subsumes "unix", "fifo" and "pass" since these
                                                  all are accessed via paths in /var/spool/postfix/{public,private}.

                                                  All delivery agents are "private" while "pickup", "qmgr", "flush"
                                                  and "showq" are "public" to support postdrop(1) and postqueue(1)
                                                  and their sendmail(1) interfaces. Almost everything else is private,
                                                  except for cleanup(8) which AFAIK is public only for historical
                                                  reasons.
                                                  ]

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Feb 22, 2013
                                                    Viktor Dukhovni:
                                                    > All delivery agents are "private" while "pickup", "qmgr", "flush"
                                                    > and "showq" are "public" to support postdrop(1) and postqueue(1)
                                                    > and their sendmail(1) interfaces. Almost everything else is private,
                                                    > except for cleanup(8) which AFAIK is public only for historical
                                                    > reasons.

                                                    This was changed from "private" into "public", so that postdrop
                                                    could directly submit mail into cleanup, using the maildrop directory
                                                    only as a fall-back mechanism in case cleanup transaction failed.
                                                    Recovering from all possible failure modes is complicated and I did
                                                    not get around to write that code (and there are few people who I
                                                    would trust to write it).