Re: Trouble configuring backup MX to reject unauth destination

    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 19, 2013
      On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:21:35PM +0100, Titanus Eramius wrote:

      > I've tried with relay_domains, but it matches on domain-level which is
      > too much. I then applied relay_recipient_maps, but it don't seem to
      > have any effect, which means that addresses is still matched on domain
      > basis.
      >
      > Every Postfix will have access to a complete list of recipients
      > through MySQL.
      >
      > So the question becomes two-part:
      > Why can't I get relay_recipient_maps to work?

      http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html#backup

      Wildcard entries in canonical_maps and virtual_alias_maps are the
      most common reason for recipient validation failing to distinguish
      between valid and invalid recipients.

    • Titanus Eramius
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 22, 2013
        Tue, 19 Feb 2013 16:31:05 +0000 skrev Viktor Dukhovni
        <postfix-users@...>:

        > On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:21:35PM +0100, Titanus Eramius wrote:
        >
        > > I've tried with relay_domains, but it matches on domain-level which
        > > is too much. I then applied relay_recipient_maps, but it don't seem
        > > to have any effect, which means that addresses is still matched on
        > > domain basis.
        > >
        > > Every Postfix will have access to a complete list of recipients
        > > through MySQL.
        > >
        > > So the question becomes two-part:
        > > Why can't I get relay_recipient_maps to work?
        >
        > http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
        > http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html#backup
        >
        > Wildcard entries in canonical_maps and virtual_alias_maps are the
        > most common reason for recipient validation failing to distinguish
        > between valid and invalid recipients.

        Thank you for the response and sorry for the slow reply.

        The problem seems to be related with the virtual setup, but I'm not
        sure how to best describe and document it.

        Besides aptget.dk this server also hosts cogky.dk (among others), and
        while unknown recipients is being correctly rejected with a 550 when
        sent to aptget.dk, they are not when sent to the other virtual domains.
        Instead they are accepted and then returned by the MAILER_DAEMON, which
        in turn opens the server to backscatter.

        I have tried setting "local_recipient_maps = $virtual_mailbox_maps"
        in main.cf, but without any apparent effect. To be honest, I'm unsure if
        I have set "virtual_mailbox_maps" correct, but when testing it with
        postalias it seems to work
        titanus@aptget:/etc/postfix$ sudo postalias -q titanus@...
        mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
        aptget.dk/titanus/

        When I test mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf with a non-existent address,
        nothing is returned and the exit status is 1.

        What I would like to achieve, is that Postfix rejects mail to
        non-existent recipients before accepting mail.

        Thanks again, Titanus

        postconf -n
        alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases

        bounce_template_file = /etc/postfix/bounce.cf

        broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes

        config_directory = /etc/postfix

        delay_warning_time = 4

        disable_vrfy_command = yes

        dovecot_destination_recipient_limit = 1

        inet_interfaces = 46.21.105.38

        local_recipient_maps = $virtual_mailbox_maps

        mailman_destination_recipient_limit = 1

        maximal_queue_lifetime = 15

        message_size_limit = 26214400

        mydestination = localhost

        mydomain = aptget.dk

        myhostname = aptget.aptget.dk

        mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8

        postscreen_dnsbl_action = enforce

        postscreen_dnsbl_sites = truncate.gbudb.net*2 b.barracudacentral.org*1
        zen.spamhaus.org*1 bl.spamcop.net*1

        postscreen_dnsbl_threshold = 2

        postscreen_greet_action = enforce

        recipient_canonical_classes = envelope_recipient

        recipient_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pfix-no-srs.cf,
        tcp:127.0.0.1:10002

        sender_canonical_classes = envelope_sender

        sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pfix-no-srs.cf,
        tcp:127.0.0.1:10001

        smtp_tls_security_level = may

        smtp_tls_session_cache_database =
        btree:$data_directory/smtp_tls_session_cache

        smtpd_data_restrictions = reject_unauth_pipelining,
        reject_multi_recipient_bounce,

        smtpd_helo_required = yes

        smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender,
        reject_non_fqdn_recipient, reject_unknown_sender_domain,
        reject_unknown_recipient_domain, reject_unauth_destination,

        smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes

        smtpd_sasl_exceptions_networks = $mynetworks

        smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth

        smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot

        smtpd_tls_ask_ccert = yes

        smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/self-signed/smtpd.crt

        smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/self-signed/smtpd.key

        smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1

        smtpd_tls_received_header = yes

        smtpd_tls_security_level = may

        smtpd_tls_session_cache_database =
        btree:$data_directory/smtpd_tls_session_cache

        spamassassin_destination_recipient_limit = 1

        tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom

        transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport.cf

        virtual_alias_maps =
        proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf

        virtual_gid_maps = static:5000

        virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vmail

        virtual_mailbox_domains =
        proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf

        virtual_mailbox_maps =
        proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf

        virtual_transport = dovecot

        virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 22, 2013
          Titanus Eramius:
          > Besides aptget.dk this server also hosts cogky.dk (among others), and
          > while unknown recipients is being correctly rejected with a 550 when
          > sent to aptget.dk, they are not when sent to the other virtual domains.
          > Instead they are accepted and then returned by the MAILER_DAEMON, which
          > in turn opens the server to backscatter.

          Where is cogky.dk defined: mydestination, virtual_alias_domains,
          virtual_mailbox_domains, relay_domains? It must be only one.

          This answer determines where the "known" recipients must be listed:
          local_recipient_maps, virtual_alias_maps,m virtual_mailbox_maps,
          relay_recipients. If you list the domain or recipients in the wrong
          place then mail will be rejected.

          See http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html

          Wietse
        • Titanus Eramius
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 22, 2013
            Fri, 22 Mar 2013 16:55:21 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
            <wietse@...>:

            > Titanus Eramius:
            > > Besides aptget.dk this server also hosts cogky.dk (among others),
            > > and while unknown recipients is being correctly rejected with a 550
            > > when sent to aptget.dk, they are not when sent to the other virtual
            > > domains. Instead they are accepted and then returned by the
            > > MAILER_DAEMON, which in turn opens the server to backscatter.
            >
            > Where is cogky.dk defined: mydestination, virtual_alias_domains,
            > virtual_mailbox_domains, relay_domains? It must be only one.
            >
            > This answer determines where the "known" recipients must be listed:
            > local_recipient_maps, virtual_alias_maps,m virtual_mailbox_maps,
            > relay_recipients. If you list the domain or recipients in the wrong
            > place then mail will be rejected.
            >
            > See http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html
            >
            > Wietse

            The goal is a "virtual only" mailserver, so the domains is stored
            in MySQL and fetched through virtual_mailbox_domains. Besides
            virtual_mailbox_domains, I use virtual_mailbox_maps and
            virtual_alias_maps.

            The documentation is among the best documentation I have seen, but I
            can't seem to find the solution, even though I have read most of what I
            could find in relation to virtual handling.

            One more "clue" is the error messages when sending to non-existent
            users. When sending to aptget.dk Postfix responds with
            "550 5.1.1 <non_existent@...>: Recipient address rejected: User
            unknown in virtual mailbox table".

            When sending to cogky.dk the response is only "<non_existent@...>:
            user unknown"

            Thank you for your time, Titanus
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 22, 2013
              Titanus Eramius:
              > Fri, 22 Mar 2013 16:55:21 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
              > > Where is cogky.dk defined: mydestination, virtual_alias_domains,
              > > virtual_mailbox_domains, relay_domains? It must be only one.
              > >
              > > This answer determines where the "known" recipients must be listed:
              > > local_recipient_maps, virtual_alias_maps,m virtual_mailbox_maps,
              > > relay_recipients. If you list the domain or recipients in the wrong
              > > place then mail will be rejected.
              > >
              > > See http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html
              >
              > The goal is a "virtual only" mailserver, so the domains is stored
              > in MySQL and fetched through virtual_mailbox_domains. Besides
              > virtual_mailbox_domains, I use virtual_mailbox_maps and
              > virtual_alias_maps.

              With the domain defined in virtual_mailbox_domains, mail will fail
              with "user unknown in virtual mailbox table" when the recipient is
              not found in virtual_mailbox_maps. This is described in agonizing
              detail in ADDRESS_CLASS_README.

              Test your lookups:

              postmap -q cogky.dk the-virtual_mailbox_domains-table
              This should return a result (the value does not matter).

              postmap -q real-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
              This should return a result (the mailbox file name).

              postmap -q bogus-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
              This should return no result (Postfix treats this as "user unknown
              in virtual mailbox table").

              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 24, 2013
                Le 23/03/2013 00:02, Titanus Eramius a écrit :
                > [snip]
                > The goal is a "virtual only" mailserver, so the domains is stored
                > in MySQL and fetched through virtual_mailbox_domains. Besides
                > virtual_mailbox_domains, I use virtual_mailbox_maps and
                > virtual_alias_maps.
                >
                > The documentation is among the best documentation I have seen, but I
                > can't seem to find the solution, even though I have read most of what I
                > could find in relation to virtual handling.
                >
                > One more "clue" is the error messages when sending to non-existent
                > users. When sending to aptget.dk Postfix responds with
                > "550 5.1.1 <non_existent@...>: Recipient address rejected: User
                > unknown in virtual mailbox table".
                >
                > When sending to cogky.dk the response is only "<non_existent@...>:
                > user unknown"

                one possible reason is that you configured a wildcard alias:
                @... ==> @...
                (that is anything to cogky maps to same address in aptget.dk).

                if so, that's your problem. you need to configure mappings only for
                existing users.
                since you use mysql, this should be easy to do.
              • Titanus Eramius
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 25, 2013
                  Fri, 22 Mar 2013 19:12:40 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                  <wietse@...>:

                  > Test your lookups:
                  >
                  > postmap -q cogky.dk the-virtual_mailbox_domains-table
                  > This should return a result (the value does not matter).

                  aptget:~# postalias -q cogky.dk
                  mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_domains.cf
                  cogky.dk

                  > postmap -q real-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
                  > This should return a result (the mailbox file name).

                  aptget:~# postalias -q real-user@...
                  mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
                  cogky.dk/real-user/

                  > postmap -q bogus-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
                  > This should return no result (Postfix treats this as "user unknown
                  > in virtual mailbox table").

                  And this does not return a result. Bash gives a error-status of 1.

                  Sun, 24 Mar 2013 09:36:03 +0100 skrev mouss <mouss@...>:

                  > one possible reason is that you configured a wildcard alias:
                  > @... ==> @...
                  > (that is anything to cogky maps to same address in aptget.dk).

                  As far as I can see that should not be the case. All addresses and
                  aliases in the database have a left hand side to it. Is there a way to
                  test this?

                  I'm using Dovecot 2 as LDA for final delivery and IMAP-services, so
                  "virtual_transport" is set to "dovecot" in main.cf and the following
                  lines are in master.cf:

                  dovecot unix - n n - - pipe
                  flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -d
                  ${recipient}

                  When looking through the log, it looks like the "user unknown"
                  response comes from Dovecot and not Postfix:

                  Mar 25 13:43:53 aptget postfix/smtpd[24133]: connect from
                  unknown[92.243.255.38]

                  Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix/smtpd[24133]:
                  Anonymous TLS connection established from unknown[92.243.255.38]: TLSv1
                  with cipher DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA (128/128 bits)

                  Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget dovecot: auth-worker(24136): mysql(localhost):
                  Connected to database postfix

                  Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix/smtpd[24133]: BB6AD371DDC4:
                  client=unknown[92.243.255.38], sasl_method=LOGIN,
                  sasl_username=HIDDEN_USER@...

                  Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix-policyd: connection from: 127.0.0.1
                  port: 48937 slots: 0 of 4096 used

                  Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix-policyd: connecting to mysql database:
                  localhost

                  Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix-policyd: connected..

                  Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix-policyd: rcpt=16, throttle=clear(a),
                  host=92.243.255.38, from=titanus@..., to=unknown-user@...,
                  size=365/26214400, quota=365/1800000000, count=1/125(10),
                  rcpt=1/600(11), threshold=0%|0%|0%, sasl_username=HIDDEN_USER@...

                  Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix/cleanup[24138]: BB6AD371DDC4:
                  message-id=<20130325134351.5c2e026f@...>

                  Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix/qmgr[23982]: BB6AD371DDC4:
                  from=<titanus@...>, size=663, nrcpt=1 (queue active)

                  Mar 25 13:43:55 aptget postfix/pipe[24140]: BB6AD371DDC4:
                  to=<unknown-user@...>, relay=dovecot, delay=0.38,
                  delays=0.26/0.03/0/0.09, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (user unknown)

                  Mar 25 13:43:55 aptget postfix/cleanup[24138]: 16228371DE3E:
                  message-id=<20130325124355.16228371DE3E@...>

                  Mar 25 13:43:55 aptget postfix/bounce[24142]: BB6AD371DDC4: sender
                  non-delivery notification: 16228371DE3E

                  Mar 25 13:43:55 aptget postfix/qmgr[23982]: 16228371DE3E: from=<>,
                  size=2673, nrcpt=1 (queue active)

                  Mar 25 13:43:55 aptget postfix/qmgr[23982]: BB6AD371DDC4: removed

                  Mar 25 13:43:55 aptget postfix/smtpd[24133]: disconnect from
                  unknown[92.243.255.38]

                  Thank you again for helping

                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 25, 2013
                    Titanus Eramius:
                    > Fri, 22 Mar 2013 19:12:40 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                    > <wietse@...>:
                    >
                    > > Test your lookups:
                    > >
                    > > postmap -q cogky.dk the-virtual_mailbox_domains-table
                    > > This should return a result (the value does not matter).
                    >
                    > aptget:~# postalias -q cogky.dk
                    > mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_domains.cf
                    > cogky.dk
                    >
                    > > postmap -q real-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
                    > > This should return a result (the mailbox file name).
                    >
                    > aptget:~# postalias -q real-user@...
                    > mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
                    > cogky.dk/real-user/
                    >
                    > > postmap -q bogus-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
                    > > This should return no result (Postfix treats this as "user unknown
                    > > in virtual mailbox table").
                    >
                    > And this does not return a result. Bash gives a error-status of 1.

                    OK, the table is working as it should. Now let's find out
                    why the bogus recipient is accepted:

                    Next step:

                    - Connect to the public (not content re-injection) SMTP port and try

                    $ telnet hostname 25
                    ehlo ...
                    mail from:<>
                    rcpt to:<real-user@...>
                    rcpt to:<bogus-user@...>
                    quit

                    One recipient should be accepted, the other not.

                    - Same experiment for mail over the submission port, if you have one:

                    $ openssl s_client -starttls smtp -connect hostname:587
                    ehlo ...
                    mail from:<>
                    rcpt to:<real-user@...>
                    rcpt to:<bogus-user@...>
                    quit

                    This is just in case.

                    Wietse
                  • Titanus Eramius
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 25, 2013
                      Mon, 25 Mar 2013 11:30:41 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                      <wietse@...>:

                      > Titanus Eramius:
                      > > Fri, 22 Mar 2013 19:12:40 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                      > > <wietse@...>:
                      > >
                      > > > Test your lookups:
                      > > >
                      > > > postmap -q cogky.dk the-virtual_mailbox_domains-table
                      > > > This should return a result (the value does not matter).
                      > >
                      > > aptget:~# postalias -q cogky.dk
                      > > mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_domains.cf
                      > > cogky.dk
                      > >
                      > > > postmap -q real-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
                      > > > This should return a result (the mailbox file name).
                      > >
                      > > aptget:~# postalias -q real-user@...
                      > > mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
                      > > cogky.dk/real-user/
                      > >
                      > > > postmap -q bogus-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
                      > > > This should return no result (Postfix treats this as "user unknown
                      > > > in virtual mailbox table").
                      > >
                      > > And this does not return a result. Bash gives a error-status of 1.
                      >
                      > OK, the table is working as it should. Now let's find out
                      > why the bogus recipient is accepted:
                      >
                      > Next step:
                      >
                      > - Connect to the public (not content re-injection) SMTP port and try
                      >
                      > $ telnet hostname 25
                      > ehlo ...
                      > mail from:<>
                      > rcpt to:<real-user@...>
                      > rcpt to:<bogus-user@...>
                      > quit
                      >
                      > One recipient should be accepted, the other not.
                      >
                      > - Same experiment for mail over the submission port, if you have one:
                      >
                      > $ openssl s_client -starttls smtp -connect hostname:587
                      > ehlo ...
                      > mail from:<>
                      > rcpt to:<real-user@...>
                      > rcpt to:<bogus-user@...>
                      > quit
                      >
                      > This is just in case.
                      >
                      > Wietse

                      Both RCPT TOs are successful

                      titanus@asrock:~$ telnet 46.21.105.38 25
                      Trying 46.21.105.38...
                      Connected to 46.21.105.38.
                      Escape character is '^]'.
                      220 aptget.aptget.dk ESMTP Postfix
                      EHLO Hej
                      250-aptget.aptget.dk
                      250-PIPELINING
                      250-SIZE 26214400
                      250-ETRN
                      250-STARTTLS
                      250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
                      250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
                      250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
                      250-8BITMIME
                      250 DSN
                      MAIL FROM:<>
                      250 2.1.0 Ok
                      RCPT TO:<real-user@...>
                      250 2.1.5 Ok
                      RCPT TO:<non-existent@...>
                      250 2.1.5 Ok
                      QUIT
                      221 2.0.0 Bye
                      Connection closed by foreign host.

                      If non-existent@... is substituted with non-existent@...,
                      then it is still rejected with "... unknown in virtual mailbox table".

                      When trying with submission through telnet, I'm afraid I can't get the
                      syntax right. But when using the mail client Claws Mail, Postfix
                      accepts non-existent addresses for cogky.dk

                      [17:51:52] ESMTP< 235 2.7.0 Authentication successful
                      [17:51:52] ESMTP> MAIL FROM:<nicky@...> SIZE=371
                      [17:51:52] SMTP< 250 2.1.0 Ok
                      [17:51:52] SMTP> RCPT TO:<non-existent@...>
                      [17:51:52] SMTP< 250 2.1.5 Ok

                      Thank you, Titanus
                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 25, 2013
                        Titanus Eramius:
                        > > OK, the table is working as it should. Now let's find out
                        > > why the bogus recipient is accepted:
                        > >
                        > > Next step:
                        > >
                        > > - Connect to the public (not content re-injection) SMTP port and try
                        > MAIL FROM:<>
                        > 250 2.1.0 Ok
                        > RCPT TO:<real-user@...>
                        > 250 2.1.5 Ok
                        > RCPT TO:<non-existent@...>
                        > 250 2.1.5 Ok

                        > If non-existent@... is substituted with non-existent@...,
                        > then it is still rejected with "... unknown in virtual mailbox table".

                        You appear to have a wild-card rule that replaces @... with
                        @.... Such a rule matches all addresses including invalid ones.

                        Instead use a MySQL query as decribed in
                        http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/postfix-users/message/247913

                        Wietse
                      • Titanus Eramius
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 5 3:56 AM
                          Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:09:04 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                          <wietse@...>:

                          > Titanus Eramius:

                          > > MAIL FROM:<>
                          > > 250 2.1.0 Ok
                          > > RCPT TO:<real-user@...>
                          > > 250 2.1.5 Ok
                          > > RCPT TO:<non-existent@...>
                          > > 250 2.1.5 Ok
                          >
                          > > If non-existent@... is substituted with non-existent@...,
                          > > then it is still rejected with "... unknown in virtual mailbox
                          > > table".
                          >
                          > You appear to have a wild-card rule that replaces @... with
                          > @.... Such a rule matches all addresses including invalid ones.
                          >
                          > Instead use a MySQL query as decribed in
                          > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/postfix-users/message/247913
                          >
                          > Wietse

                          Thank you for the link, it was very informative, but didn't solve the
                          problem. I also tried making a virtual_mailbox_maps MySQL query that
                          always returned false, but Postfix still accepted all mail, and then
                          bounced it after Dovecot rejected it.

                          I have converted virtual_mailbox_maps and virtual_mailbox_domains to
                          textfiles, so it should be easier to debug on the setup. Please note
                          that I had to change server to experiment like this, since I depend
                          on the other server.

                          The servername is nt-data.dk, and the hosted domain (which all mail is
                          accepted for) is nt-backup.dk. The behavior is the same, so mail sent
                          to non_existent@... is rejected, while mail sent to
                          non_existent@... is accepted, and then bounced.

                          In main.cf (please see the bottom for postconf -n) is
                          virtual_mailbox_domains =
                          hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_mailbox_domains.cf
                          virtual_mailbox_maps =
                          hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_mailbox_maps.cf

                          And the content of those files is
                          virtual_mailbox_domains.cf:
                          nt-backup.dk OK
                          nt-data.dk OK

                          virtual_mailbox_maps.cf:
                          test@... OK
                          info@... OK

                          It all works like a charm, besides the point that Postfix accepts
                          mail to non-existent users on the hosted domain.

                          In addition I have read through the relevant documentation again, but I
                          still can't figure out where or what the problem might be.

                          Thanks again

                          postconf -n
                          alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases

                          bounce_template_file = /etc/postfix/bounce.cf

                          broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes

                          config_directory = /etc/postfix

                          delay_warning_time = 4

                          disable_vrfy_command = yes

                          inet_interfaces = all

                          local_recipient_maps = $virtual_mailbox_maps

                          maximal_queue_lifetime = 15

                          mydestination =

                          myhostname = ntdata.nt-data.dk

                          mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8

                          recipient_canonical_classes = envelope_recipient

                          recipient_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pfix-no-srs.cf,
                          tcp:127.0.0.1:10002

                          sender_canonical_classes = envelope_sender

                          sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pfix-no-srs.cf,
                          tcp:127.0.0.1:10001

                          smtp_tls_security_level = may

                          smtp_tls_session_cache_database =
                          btree:$data_directory/smtp_tls_session_cache

                          smtpd_data_restrictions =
                          reject_unauth_pipelining,
                          reject_multi_recipient_bounce,
                          permit

                          smtpd_helo_required = yes

                          smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
                          reject_non_fqdn_sender,
                          reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
                          reject_unknown_sender_domain,
                          reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
                          reject_rbl_client truncate.gbudb.net,
                          reject_unauth_destination,
                          permit

                          smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes

                          smtpd_sasl_exceptions_networks = $mynetworks

                          smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth

                          smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot

                          smtpd_tls_ask_ccert = yes

                          smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/self-signed/smtpd.crt

                          smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/self-signed/smtpd.key

                          smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1

                          smtpd_tls_received_header = yes

                          smtpd_tls_security_level = may

                          smtpd_tls_session_cache_database =
                          btree:$data_directory/smtpd_tls_session_cache

                          tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom

                          transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport.cf

                          virtual_mailbox_domains = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_mailbox_domains.cf

                          virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_mailbox_maps.cf

                          virtual_transport = dovecot
                        • Brian Evans
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 5 5:49 AM
                            On 4/5/2013 6:56 AM, Titanus Eramius wrote:
                            > Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:09:04 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                            > <wietse@...>:
                            >
                            >> Titanus Eramius:
                            >>> MAIL FROM:<>
                            >>> 250 2.1.0 Ok
                            >>> RCPT TO:<real-user@...>
                            >>> 250 2.1.5 Ok
                            >>> RCPT TO:<non-existent@...>
                            >>> 250 2.1.5 Ok
                            >>> If non-existent@... is substituted with non-existent@...,
                            >>> then it is still rejected with "... unknown in virtual mailbox
                            >>> table".
                            >> You appear to have a wild-card rule that replaces @... with
                            >> @.... Such a rule matches all addresses including invalid ones.
                            >>
                            >> Instead use a MySQL query as decribed in
                            >> http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/postfix-users/message/247913
                            >>
                            >> Wietse
                            > Thank you for the link, it was very informative, but didn't solve the
                            > problem. I also tried making a virtual_mailbox_maps MySQL query that
                            > always returned false, but Postfix still accepted all mail, and then
                            > bounced it after Dovecot rejected it.

                            You say you return "false"?
                            Postfix expects to receive no results (a.k.a. 0 rows) if a
                            virtual_mailbox_maps address in mysql does not exist.
                            Do not return "false", empty string, null, or any other value if it does
                            not exist.

                            Brian
                          • Titanus Eramius
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 5 6:24 AM
                              Fri, 05 Apr 2013 08:49:39 -0400 skrev Brian Evans
                              <grknight@...>:

                              > > Thank you for the link, it was very informative, but didn't solve
                              > > the problem. I also tried making a virtual_mailbox_maps MySQL query
                              > > that always returned false, but Postfix still accepted all mail,
                              > > and then bounced it after Dovecot rejected it.
                              >
                              > You say you return "false"?
                              > Postfix expects to receive no results (a.k.a. 0 rows) if a
                              > virtual_mailbox_maps address in mysql does not exist.
                              > Do not return "false", empty string, null, or any other value if it
                              > does not exist.

                              False may be the wrong word, and I'm sorry if it is. What I mean is,
                              virtual_mailbox_maps always returns nothing from MySQL, like so:

                              titanus@ntdata:/etc/postfix$ sudo postmap -q test@...
                              mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
                              titanus@ntdata:/etc/postfix$ echo $?
                              1
                              (this user exists)

                              titanus@ntdata:/etc/postfix$ sudo postmap -q non_existent@...
                              mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
                              titanus@ntdata:/etc/postfix$ echo $?
                              1
                              (this user does not)

                              I did this because I had some trouble constructing the query-string
                              Wietse recommended, and thought this would be a simple and easy way to
                              test if virtual_mailbox_maps was the problem.

                              When trying the syntax within the MySQL CLI, a "Empty set" is returned
                              when querying for a non-existent user

                              mysql> SELECT username FROM mailbox
                              -> WHERE username = 'non_existent@...';
                              Empty set (0.00 sec)

                              I hope this better explains what I meant
                              Cheers
                            • Titanus Eramius
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 6 3:18 AM
                                Solved it :-)

                                When sending to unknown users, Postfix now rejects the mail with "User
                                unknown in virtual mailbox table", and it does so for hosted (that is,
                                virtual mailbox domains) domains as well.

                                It seems the SRS-daemon* I have been using with the main.cf parameters
                                recipient_canonical_maps
                                recipient_canonical_classes
                                sender_canonical_maps
                                sender_canonical_classes

                                was the root of the problem. I have just commented them out to solve
                                it. Reading through the documentation for those four parameters, does
                                not seem to indicate why they would mess with Postfix' ability to use
                                virtual_mailbox_maps.

                                But I guess my lack of understanding about Postfix internals is a
                                problem as well. I am sorry for the wasted time, and would like to
                                thank all who helped out.

                                Have a nice weekend

                                * https://github.com/Fruneau/pfixtools