Re: block ip-range for 1 domain

  • richard lucassen
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
      On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 13:49:54 +0100
      Benny Pedersen <me@...> wrote:

      > > Any hint?
      >
      > google postfwd
      >
      > postfix can do it with classes, but its more complicated then with
      > postfwd

      Ok, that seems to be very nice. AFAIUI it can be implemented on the
      backend server. I'd prefer not to touch the front-end servers.

      Thnx!

      R.

      It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak
      aloud and remove all doubt.

      | Richard Lucassen, Utrecht |
      | Public key and email address: |
      | http://www.lucassen.org/mail-pubkey.html |
    • Benny Pedersen
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
        richard lucassen skrev den 2013-02-19 13:58:

        > Ok, that seems to be very nice. AFAIUI it can be implemented on the
        > backend server. I'd prefer not to touch the front-end servers.

        then use the ha-proxy on front end, and postfwd on backend

        could you remove email addr in reply template ? (@ does not belong to
        body content)
      • Mikael Bak
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
          On 02/19/2013 01:58 PM, richard lucassen wrote:
          > On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 13:49:54 +0100
          > Benny Pedersen <me@...> wrote:
          >
          >>> Any hint?
          >>
          >> google postfwd
          >>
          >> postfix can do it with classes, but its more complicated then with
          >> postfwd
          >
          > Ok, that seems to be very nice. AFAIUI it can be implemented on the
          > backend server. I'd prefer not to touch the front-end servers.

          That does NOT sound like a good idea.
          If you accept the message on the fronend and then reject is on the
          backend, then you will generate a bounce message back to the sender. If
          the sender's address is forged, then you will generate backscatter, and
          could end up on black lists.

          Reject on the frontend servers to avoid this.

          HTH,
          Mikael
        • richard lucassen
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
            On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 17:07:43 +0100
            Mikael Bak <mbak@...> wrote:

            > > Ok, that seems to be very nice. AFAIUI it can be implemented on the
            > > backend server. I'd prefer not to touch the front-end servers.
            >
            > That does NOT sound like a good idea.
            > If you accept the message on the fronend and then reject is on the
            > backend, then you will generate a bounce message back to the sender.
            > If the sender's address is forged, then you will generate
            > backscatter, and could end up on black lists.
            >
            > Reject on the frontend servers to avoid this.

            If the backend generates a 5xx, the frontend servers will also generate
            a 5xx. At least, in case a user does not exist. Don't know if this
            particular mechanism will work the same way. I will have play with it
            to find out. And I agree with you: no backscatter.

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
              On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 14:40:58 +0100
              Benny Pedersen <me@...> wrote:

              > richard lucassen skrev den 2013-02-19 13:58:
              >
              > > Ok, that seems to be very nice. AFAIUI it can be implemented on the
              > > backend server. I'd prefer not to touch the front-end servers.
              >
              > then use the ha-proxy on front end, and postfwd on backend
              >
              > could you remove email addr in reply template ? (@ does not belong to
              > body content)

              You mean the Reply-To?