couple of questions...

  • Vijay Rajah
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 17, 2013
      Hello,

      I have installed postfix+dovecot on my server for my personal mail. I compiled the binaries from source on Linux platform. is there a (standrad) init.d script that I can use?.. I looked for it in the source was unable to find one...

      Now that my mailserver is working fine, I would like to chroot it. I was wondering of any one has tried the examples/chroot-setup/LINUX2 script, that is included with the source?

      Thanks in advance.
      Vijay

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 17, 2013
        Vijay Rajah:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I have installed postfix+dovecot on my server for my personal mail. I
        > compiled the binaries from source on Linux platform. is there a (standrad)
        > init.d script that I can use?.. I looked for it in the source was unable to
        > find one...

        Postfix does not provide init scripts. There are major differences
        between Linux distributions, not to mention that there are other
        OSes that differ even more from each other.

        Here is a trivial init script. You would have to customize this so
        that Postfix is started after the hostname is set, and after the
        network stack is initialized.

        #!/bin/sh
        case $1 in
        start) exec postfix start;;
        stop) exec postfix stop;;
        status) exec postfix status;;
        *) echo "Usage: $0 start|stop|status" 1>&2; exit 1;;
        esac

        For all other maintenance use the "postfix" command.

        > Now that my mailserver is working fine, I would like to chroot it. I was
        > wondering of any one has tried the examples/chroot-setup/LINUX2 script,
        > that is included with the source?

        These scripts will require customization. Just like init scripts,
        different systems and different versions of the same system require
        different commands.