Re: Selective bounce_template_file

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 16, 2013
      On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 09:51:53AM +0000, Nuno Fernandes wrote:

      > I would like to have different bounce_template_files per domain. Is that
      > possible?

      Postfix has no support for sender-domain (recipient of bounce domain)
      specific bounce templates.

      Nor do domains map very well to the preferred language of the particular
      sender. The boilerplate text of a bounce largely wastes the readers time
      before they (if their MUA lets them) see the real reason the message
      bounced in the per original-recipient error message collected from
      the text of SMTP (or other delivery mechanism) responses.

      A bounce template in Spanish or Portuguese will not help the
      recipient (original sender) understand the delivery error, the
      actual problem description is typically english text generated by
      the MTA that rejects the message.

      Thus in practice the least common denominator for Spanish and Portuguese
      is English. Make the bounce template as short as possible, it just distracts
      the reader from the real text they want to read. Perhaps replace:

      This is the mail system at host $myhostname.

      The mail system

      with:

      Error notice:

      which is English text that consists entirely of Latin-derived words,
      that will likely be understood also by Spanish, Portuguese and French
      readers. Even if someone does not understand "Error notice", they'll
      be spared having to worry about the offending text, its brevity will
      cause less concern that they're missing out on something important.

      Some MUAs, when displaying a bounce, don't show the text at all!
      They display machine-generated text based on the message/delivery-status
      (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3464#section-2.1) portion of the bounce.