Re: Trouble configuring backup MX to reject unauth destination

  • DTNX Postmaster
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 16, 2013
      On Feb 16, 2013, at 12:18, Titanus Eramius <titanus@...> wrote:

      > I plan on upgrading Debians stable Postfix to the current stable
      > version of 2.10 so I may benefit from postscreen, and that will
      > probably be a good time to install amavisd-new as a pre-queue filter.
      >
      > Thank you for the help once again.

      A possible shortcut to getting postscreen is using the 2.9.3 version
      available in the Debian backports repository. That's what we currently
      use, instead of building custom packages.

      HTH,
      Jona
    • Titanus Eramius
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 16, 2013
        Sat, 16 Feb 2013 12:39:24 +0100 skrev DTNX Postmaster
        <postmaster@...>:

        > On Feb 16, 2013, at 12:18, Titanus Eramius <titanus@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I plan on upgrading Debians stable Postfix to the current stable
        > > version of 2.10 so I may benefit from postscreen, and that will
        > > probably be a good time to install amavisd-new as a pre-queue
        > > filter.
        > >
        > > Thank you for the help once again.
        >
        > A possible shortcut to getting postscreen is using the 2.9.3 version
        > available in the Debian backports repository. That's what we
        > currently use, instead of building custom packages.
        >
        > HTH,
        > Jona

        Thank you for pointing the obvious out.
        I don't know why I didn't thought of backports, but I will surely be
        using 2.9.3 from there instead of building from source.
      • Titanus Eramius
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 19, 2013
          Thinking about this, I might have been to specific in my question.

          At the fundamental level I would like to have 2 or more Postfix servers
          capable of receiving virtual mail for multiple domains, where one of
          the servers also handles relaying and local delivery. The rest should
          function as backup MX.

          I've tried with relay_domains, but it matches on domain-level which is
          too much. I then applied relay_recipient_maps, but it don't seem to
          have any effect, which means that addresses is still matched on domain
          basis.

          Every Postfix will have access to a complete list of recipients
          through MySQL.

          So the question becomes two-part:
          Why can't I get relay_recipient_maps to work?

          How would you recommend to set up a backup MX?
          One obvious way is not to do it, but some of the mail is not mine,
          which is why I at least would like the option to run a backup MX.
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 19, 2013
            On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:21:35PM +0100, Titanus Eramius wrote:

            > I've tried with relay_domains, but it matches on domain-level which is
            > too much. I then applied relay_recipient_maps, but it don't seem to
            > have any effect, which means that addresses is still matched on domain
            > basis.
            >
            > Every Postfix will have access to a complete list of recipients
            > through MySQL.
            >
            > So the question becomes two-part:
            > Why can't I get relay_recipient_maps to work?

            http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html#backup

            Wildcard entries in canonical_maps and virtual_alias_maps are the
            most common reason for recipient validation failing to distinguish
            between valid and invalid recipients.

          • Titanus Eramius
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 22, 2013
              Tue, 19 Feb 2013 16:31:05 +0000 skrev Viktor Dukhovni
              <postfix-users@...>:

              > On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:21:35PM +0100, Titanus Eramius wrote:
              >
              > > I've tried with relay_domains, but it matches on domain-level which
              > > is too much. I then applied relay_recipient_maps, but it don't seem
              > > to have any effect, which means that addresses is still matched on
              > > domain basis.
              > >
              > > Every Postfix will have access to a complete list of recipients
              > > through MySQL.
              > >
              > > So the question becomes two-part:
              > > Why can't I get relay_recipient_maps to work?
              >
              > http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
              > http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html#backup
              >
              > Wildcard entries in canonical_maps and virtual_alias_maps are the
              > most common reason for recipient validation failing to distinguish
              > between valid and invalid recipients.

              Thank you for the response and sorry for the slow reply.

              The problem seems to be related with the virtual setup, but I'm not
              sure how to best describe and document it.

              Besides aptget.dk this server also hosts cogky.dk (among others), and
              while unknown recipients is being correctly rejected with a 550 when
              sent to aptget.dk, they are not when sent to the other virtual domains.
              Instead they are accepted and then returned by the MAILER_DAEMON, which
              in turn opens the server to backscatter.

              I have tried setting "local_recipient_maps = $virtual_mailbox_maps"
              in main.cf, but without any apparent effect. To be honest, I'm unsure if
              I have set "virtual_mailbox_maps" correct, but when testing it with
              postalias it seems to work
              titanus@aptget:/etc/postfix$ sudo postalias -q titanus@...
              mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
              aptget.dk/titanus/

              When I test mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf with a non-existent address,
              nothing is returned and the exit status is 1.

              What I would like to achieve, is that Postfix rejects mail to
              non-existent recipients before accepting mail.

              Thanks again, Titanus

              postconf -n
              alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases

              bounce_template_file = /etc/postfix/bounce.cf

              broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes

              config_directory = /etc/postfix

              delay_warning_time = 4

              disable_vrfy_command = yes

              dovecot_destination_recipient_limit = 1

              inet_interfaces = 46.21.105.38

              local_recipient_maps = $virtual_mailbox_maps

              mailman_destination_recipient_limit = 1

              maximal_queue_lifetime = 15

              message_size_limit = 26214400

              mydestination = localhost

              mydomain = aptget.dk

              myhostname = aptget.aptget.dk

              mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8

              postscreen_dnsbl_action = enforce

              postscreen_dnsbl_sites = truncate.gbudb.net*2 b.barracudacentral.org*1
              zen.spamhaus.org*1 bl.spamcop.net*1

              postscreen_dnsbl_threshold = 2

              postscreen_greet_action = enforce

              recipient_canonical_classes = envelope_recipient

              recipient_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pfix-no-srs.cf,
              tcp:127.0.0.1:10002

              sender_canonical_classes = envelope_sender

              sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pfix-no-srs.cf,
              tcp:127.0.0.1:10001

              smtp_tls_security_level = may

              smtp_tls_session_cache_database =
              btree:$data_directory/smtp_tls_session_cache

              smtpd_data_restrictions = reject_unauth_pipelining,
              reject_multi_recipient_bounce,

              smtpd_helo_required = yes

              smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender,
              reject_non_fqdn_recipient, reject_unknown_sender_domain,
              reject_unknown_recipient_domain, reject_unauth_destination,

              smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes

              smtpd_sasl_exceptions_networks = $mynetworks

              smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth

              smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot

              smtpd_tls_ask_ccert = yes

              smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/self-signed/smtpd.crt

              smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/self-signed/smtpd.key

              smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1

              smtpd_tls_received_header = yes

              smtpd_tls_security_level = may

              smtpd_tls_session_cache_database =
              btree:$data_directory/smtpd_tls_session_cache

              spamassassin_destination_recipient_limit = 1

              tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom

              transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport.cf

              virtual_alias_maps =
              proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf

              virtual_gid_maps = static:5000

              virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vmail

              virtual_mailbox_domains =
              proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf

              virtual_mailbox_maps =
              proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf

              virtual_transport = dovecot

              virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 22, 2013
                Titanus Eramius:
                > Besides aptget.dk this server also hosts cogky.dk (among others), and
                > while unknown recipients is being correctly rejected with a 550 when
                > sent to aptget.dk, they are not when sent to the other virtual domains.
                > Instead they are accepted and then returned by the MAILER_DAEMON, which
                > in turn opens the server to backscatter.

                Where is cogky.dk defined: mydestination, virtual_alias_domains,
                virtual_mailbox_domains, relay_domains? It must be only one.

                This answer determines where the "known" recipients must be listed:
                local_recipient_maps, virtual_alias_maps,m virtual_mailbox_maps,
                relay_recipients. If you list the domain or recipients in the wrong
                place then mail will be rejected.

                See http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html

                Wietse
              • Titanus Eramius
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 22, 2013
                  Fri, 22 Mar 2013 16:55:21 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                  <wietse@...>:

                  > Titanus Eramius:
                  > > Besides aptget.dk this server also hosts cogky.dk (among others),
                  > > and while unknown recipients is being correctly rejected with a 550
                  > > when sent to aptget.dk, they are not when sent to the other virtual
                  > > domains. Instead they are accepted and then returned by the
                  > > MAILER_DAEMON, which in turn opens the server to backscatter.
                  >
                  > Where is cogky.dk defined: mydestination, virtual_alias_domains,
                  > virtual_mailbox_domains, relay_domains? It must be only one.
                  >
                  > This answer determines where the "known" recipients must be listed:
                  > local_recipient_maps, virtual_alias_maps,m virtual_mailbox_maps,
                  > relay_recipients. If you list the domain or recipients in the wrong
                  > place then mail will be rejected.
                  >
                  > See http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html
                  >
                  > Wietse

                  The goal is a "virtual only" mailserver, so the domains is stored
                  in MySQL and fetched through virtual_mailbox_domains. Besides
                  virtual_mailbox_domains, I use virtual_mailbox_maps and
                  virtual_alias_maps.

                  The documentation is among the best documentation I have seen, but I
                  can't seem to find the solution, even though I have read most of what I
                  could find in relation to virtual handling.

                  One more "clue" is the error messages when sending to non-existent
                  users. When sending to aptget.dk Postfix responds with
                  "550 5.1.1 <non_existent@...>: Recipient address rejected: User
                  unknown in virtual mailbox table".

                  When sending to cogky.dk the response is only "<non_existent@...>:
                  user unknown"

                  Thank you for your time, Titanus
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 22, 2013
                    Titanus Eramius:
                    > Fri, 22 Mar 2013 16:55:21 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                    > > Where is cogky.dk defined: mydestination, virtual_alias_domains,
                    > > virtual_mailbox_domains, relay_domains? It must be only one.
                    > >
                    > > This answer determines where the "known" recipients must be listed:
                    > > local_recipient_maps, virtual_alias_maps,m virtual_mailbox_maps,
                    > > relay_recipients. If you list the domain or recipients in the wrong
                    > > place then mail will be rejected.
                    > >
                    > > See http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html
                    >
                    > The goal is a "virtual only" mailserver, so the domains is stored
                    > in MySQL and fetched through virtual_mailbox_domains. Besides
                    > virtual_mailbox_domains, I use virtual_mailbox_maps and
                    > virtual_alias_maps.

                    With the domain defined in virtual_mailbox_domains, mail will fail
                    with "user unknown in virtual mailbox table" when the recipient is
                    not found in virtual_mailbox_maps. This is described in agonizing
                    detail in ADDRESS_CLASS_README.

                    Test your lookups:

                    postmap -q cogky.dk the-virtual_mailbox_domains-table
                    This should return a result (the value does not matter).

                    postmap -q real-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
                    This should return a result (the mailbox file name).

                    postmap -q bogus-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
                    This should return no result (Postfix treats this as "user unknown
                    in virtual mailbox table").

                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 24, 2013
                      Le 23/03/2013 00:02, Titanus Eramius a écrit :
                      > [snip]
                      > The goal is a "virtual only" mailserver, so the domains is stored
                      > in MySQL and fetched through virtual_mailbox_domains. Besides
                      > virtual_mailbox_domains, I use virtual_mailbox_maps and
                      > virtual_alias_maps.
                      >
                      > The documentation is among the best documentation I have seen, but I
                      > can't seem to find the solution, even though I have read most of what I
                      > could find in relation to virtual handling.
                      >
                      > One more "clue" is the error messages when sending to non-existent
                      > users. When sending to aptget.dk Postfix responds with
                      > "550 5.1.1 <non_existent@...>: Recipient address rejected: User
                      > unknown in virtual mailbox table".
                      >
                      > When sending to cogky.dk the response is only "<non_existent@...>:
                      > user unknown"

                      one possible reason is that you configured a wildcard alias:
                      @... ==> @...
                      (that is anything to cogky maps to same address in aptget.dk).

                      if so, that's your problem. you need to configure mappings only for
                      existing users.
                      since you use mysql, this should be easy to do.
                    • Titanus Eramius
                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 25, 2013
                        Fri, 22 Mar 2013 19:12:40 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                        <wietse@...>:

                        > Test your lookups:
                        >
                        > postmap -q cogky.dk the-virtual_mailbox_domains-table
                        > This should return a result (the value does not matter).

                        aptget:~# postalias -q cogky.dk
                        mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_domains.cf
                        cogky.dk

                        > postmap -q real-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
                        > This should return a result (the mailbox file name).

                        aptget:~# postalias -q real-user@...
                        mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
                        cogky.dk/real-user/

                        > postmap -q bogus-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
                        > This should return no result (Postfix treats this as "user unknown
                        > in virtual mailbox table").

                        And this does not return a result. Bash gives a error-status of 1.

                        Sun, 24 Mar 2013 09:36:03 +0100 skrev mouss <mouss@...>:

                        > one possible reason is that you configured a wildcard alias:
                        > @... ==> @...
                        > (that is anything to cogky maps to same address in aptget.dk).

                        As far as I can see that should not be the case. All addresses and
                        aliases in the database have a left hand side to it. Is there a way to
                        test this?

                        I'm using Dovecot 2 as LDA for final delivery and IMAP-services, so
                        "virtual_transport" is set to "dovecot" in main.cf and the following
                        lines are in master.cf:

                        dovecot unix - n n - - pipe
                        flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -d
                        ${recipient}

                        When looking through the log, it looks like the "user unknown"
                        response comes from Dovecot and not Postfix:

                        Mar 25 13:43:53 aptget postfix/smtpd[24133]: connect from
                        unknown[92.243.255.38]

                        Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix/smtpd[24133]:
                        Anonymous TLS connection established from unknown[92.243.255.38]: TLSv1
                        with cipher DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA (128/128 bits)

                        Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget dovecot: auth-worker(24136): mysql(localhost):
                        Connected to database postfix

                        Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix/smtpd[24133]: BB6AD371DDC4:
                        client=unknown[92.243.255.38], sasl_method=LOGIN,
                        sasl_username=HIDDEN_USER@...

                        Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix-policyd: connection from: 127.0.0.1
                        port: 48937 slots: 0 of 4096 used

                        Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix-policyd: connecting to mysql database:
                        localhost

                        Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix-policyd: connected..

                        Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix-policyd: rcpt=16, throttle=clear(a),
                        host=92.243.255.38, from=titanus@..., to=unknown-user@...,
                        size=365/26214400, quota=365/1800000000, count=1/125(10),
                        rcpt=1/600(11), threshold=0%|0%|0%, sasl_username=HIDDEN_USER@...

                        Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix/cleanup[24138]: BB6AD371DDC4:
                        message-id=<20130325134351.5c2e026f@...>

                        Mar 25 13:43:54 aptget postfix/qmgr[23982]: BB6AD371DDC4:
                        from=<titanus@...>, size=663, nrcpt=1 (queue active)

                        Mar 25 13:43:55 aptget postfix/pipe[24140]: BB6AD371DDC4:
                        to=<unknown-user@...>, relay=dovecot, delay=0.38,
                        delays=0.26/0.03/0/0.09, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (user unknown)

                        Mar 25 13:43:55 aptget postfix/cleanup[24138]: 16228371DE3E:
                        message-id=<20130325124355.16228371DE3E@...>

                        Mar 25 13:43:55 aptget postfix/bounce[24142]: BB6AD371DDC4: sender
                        non-delivery notification: 16228371DE3E

                        Mar 25 13:43:55 aptget postfix/qmgr[23982]: 16228371DE3E: from=<>,
                        size=2673, nrcpt=1 (queue active)

                        Mar 25 13:43:55 aptget postfix/qmgr[23982]: BB6AD371DDC4: removed

                        Mar 25 13:43:55 aptget postfix/smtpd[24133]: disconnect from
                        unknown[92.243.255.38]

                        Thank you again for helping

                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 25, 2013
                          Titanus Eramius:
                          > Fri, 22 Mar 2013 19:12:40 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                          > <wietse@...>:
                          >
                          > > Test your lookups:
                          > >
                          > > postmap -q cogky.dk the-virtual_mailbox_domains-table
                          > > This should return a result (the value does not matter).
                          >
                          > aptget:~# postalias -q cogky.dk
                          > mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_domains.cf
                          > cogky.dk
                          >
                          > > postmap -q real-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
                          > > This should return a result (the mailbox file name).
                          >
                          > aptget:~# postalias -q real-user@...
                          > mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
                          > cogky.dk/real-user/
                          >
                          > > postmap -q bogus-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
                          > > This should return no result (Postfix treats this as "user unknown
                          > > in virtual mailbox table").
                          >
                          > And this does not return a result. Bash gives a error-status of 1.

                          OK, the table is working as it should. Now let's find out
                          why the bogus recipient is accepted:

                          Next step:

                          - Connect to the public (not content re-injection) SMTP port and try

                          $ telnet hostname 25
                          ehlo ...
                          mail from:<>
                          rcpt to:<real-user@...>
                          rcpt to:<bogus-user@...>
                          quit

                          One recipient should be accepted, the other not.

                          - Same experiment for mail over the submission port, if you have one:

                          $ openssl s_client -starttls smtp -connect hostname:587
                          ehlo ...
                          mail from:<>
                          rcpt to:<real-user@...>
                          rcpt to:<bogus-user@...>
                          quit

                          This is just in case.

                          Wietse
                        • Titanus Eramius
                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 25, 2013
                            Mon, 25 Mar 2013 11:30:41 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                            <wietse@...>:

                            > Titanus Eramius:
                            > > Fri, 22 Mar 2013 19:12:40 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                            > > <wietse@...>:
                            > >
                            > > > Test your lookups:
                            > > >
                            > > > postmap -q cogky.dk the-virtual_mailbox_domains-table
                            > > > This should return a result (the value does not matter).
                            > >
                            > > aptget:~# postalias -q cogky.dk
                            > > mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_domains.cf
                            > > cogky.dk
                            > >
                            > > > postmap -q real-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
                            > > > This should return a result (the mailbox file name).
                            > >
                            > > aptget:~# postalias -q real-user@...
                            > > mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
                            > > cogky.dk/real-user/
                            > >
                            > > > postmap -q bogus-user@... the-virtual_mailbox_maps-table
                            > > > This should return no result (Postfix treats this as "user unknown
                            > > > in virtual mailbox table").
                            > >
                            > > And this does not return a result. Bash gives a error-status of 1.
                            >
                            > OK, the table is working as it should. Now let's find out
                            > why the bogus recipient is accepted:
                            >
                            > Next step:
                            >
                            > - Connect to the public (not content re-injection) SMTP port and try
                            >
                            > $ telnet hostname 25
                            > ehlo ...
                            > mail from:<>
                            > rcpt to:<real-user@...>
                            > rcpt to:<bogus-user@...>
                            > quit
                            >
                            > One recipient should be accepted, the other not.
                            >
                            > - Same experiment for mail over the submission port, if you have one:
                            >
                            > $ openssl s_client -starttls smtp -connect hostname:587
                            > ehlo ...
                            > mail from:<>
                            > rcpt to:<real-user@...>
                            > rcpt to:<bogus-user@...>
                            > quit
                            >
                            > This is just in case.
                            >
                            > Wietse

                            Both RCPT TOs are successful

                            titanus@asrock:~$ telnet 46.21.105.38 25
                            Trying 46.21.105.38...
                            Connected to 46.21.105.38.
                            Escape character is '^]'.
                            220 aptget.aptget.dk ESMTP Postfix
                            EHLO Hej
                            250-aptget.aptget.dk
                            250-PIPELINING
                            250-SIZE 26214400
                            250-ETRN
                            250-STARTTLS
                            250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
                            250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
                            250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
                            250-8BITMIME
                            250 DSN
                            MAIL FROM:<>
                            250 2.1.0 Ok
                            RCPT TO:<real-user@...>
                            250 2.1.5 Ok
                            RCPT TO:<non-existent@...>
                            250 2.1.5 Ok
                            QUIT
                            221 2.0.0 Bye
                            Connection closed by foreign host.

                            If non-existent@... is substituted with non-existent@...,
                            then it is still rejected with "... unknown in virtual mailbox table".

                            When trying with submission through telnet, I'm afraid I can't get the
                            syntax right. But when using the mail client Claws Mail, Postfix
                            accepts non-existent addresses for cogky.dk

                            [17:51:52] ESMTP< 235 2.7.0 Authentication successful
                            [17:51:52] ESMTP> MAIL FROM:<nicky@...> SIZE=371
                            [17:51:52] SMTP< 250 2.1.0 Ok
                            [17:51:52] SMTP> RCPT TO:<non-existent@...>
                            [17:51:52] SMTP< 250 2.1.5 Ok

                            Thank you, Titanus
                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 25, 2013
                              Titanus Eramius:
                              > > OK, the table is working as it should. Now let's find out
                              > > why the bogus recipient is accepted:
                              > >
                              > > Next step:
                              > >
                              > > - Connect to the public (not content re-injection) SMTP port and try
                              > MAIL FROM:<>
                              > 250 2.1.0 Ok
                              > RCPT TO:<real-user@...>
                              > 250 2.1.5 Ok
                              > RCPT TO:<non-existent@...>
                              > 250 2.1.5 Ok

                              > If non-existent@... is substituted with non-existent@...,
                              > then it is still rejected with "... unknown in virtual mailbox table".

                              You appear to have a wild-card rule that replaces @... with
                              @.... Such a rule matches all addresses including invalid ones.

                              Instead use a MySQL query as decribed in
                              http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/postfix-users/message/247913

                              Wietse
                            • Titanus Eramius
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 5, 2013
                                Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:09:04 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                                <wietse@...>:

                                > Titanus Eramius:

                                > > MAIL FROM:<>
                                > > 250 2.1.0 Ok
                                > > RCPT TO:<real-user@...>
                                > > 250 2.1.5 Ok
                                > > RCPT TO:<non-existent@...>
                                > > 250 2.1.5 Ok
                                >
                                > > If non-existent@... is substituted with non-existent@...,
                                > > then it is still rejected with "... unknown in virtual mailbox
                                > > table".
                                >
                                > You appear to have a wild-card rule that replaces @... with
                                > @.... Such a rule matches all addresses including invalid ones.
                                >
                                > Instead use a MySQL query as decribed in
                                > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/postfix-users/message/247913
                                >
                                > Wietse

                                Thank you for the link, it was very informative, but didn't solve the
                                problem. I also tried making a virtual_mailbox_maps MySQL query that
                                always returned false, but Postfix still accepted all mail, and then
                                bounced it after Dovecot rejected it.

                                I have converted virtual_mailbox_maps and virtual_mailbox_domains to
                                textfiles, so it should be easier to debug on the setup. Please note
                                that I had to change server to experiment like this, since I depend
                                on the other server.

                                The servername is nt-data.dk, and the hosted domain (which all mail is
                                accepted for) is nt-backup.dk. The behavior is the same, so mail sent
                                to non_existent@... is rejected, while mail sent to
                                non_existent@... is accepted, and then bounced.

                                In main.cf (please see the bottom for postconf -n) is
                                virtual_mailbox_domains =
                                hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_mailbox_domains.cf
                                virtual_mailbox_maps =
                                hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_mailbox_maps.cf

                                And the content of those files is
                                virtual_mailbox_domains.cf:
                                nt-backup.dk OK
                                nt-data.dk OK

                                virtual_mailbox_maps.cf:
                                test@... OK
                                info@... OK

                                It all works like a charm, besides the point that Postfix accepts
                                mail to non-existent users on the hosted domain.

                                In addition I have read through the relevant documentation again, but I
                                still can't figure out where or what the problem might be.

                                Thanks again

                                postconf -n
                                alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases

                                bounce_template_file = /etc/postfix/bounce.cf

                                broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes

                                config_directory = /etc/postfix

                                delay_warning_time = 4

                                disable_vrfy_command = yes

                                inet_interfaces = all

                                local_recipient_maps = $virtual_mailbox_maps

                                maximal_queue_lifetime = 15

                                mydestination =

                                myhostname = ntdata.nt-data.dk

                                mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8

                                recipient_canonical_classes = envelope_recipient

                                recipient_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pfix-no-srs.cf,
                                tcp:127.0.0.1:10002

                                sender_canonical_classes = envelope_sender

                                sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pfix-no-srs.cf,
                                tcp:127.0.0.1:10001

                                smtp_tls_security_level = may

                                smtp_tls_session_cache_database =
                                btree:$data_directory/smtp_tls_session_cache

                                smtpd_data_restrictions =
                                reject_unauth_pipelining,
                                reject_multi_recipient_bounce,
                                permit

                                smtpd_helo_required = yes

                                smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
                                reject_non_fqdn_sender,
                                reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
                                reject_unknown_sender_domain,
                                reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
                                reject_rbl_client truncate.gbudb.net,
                                reject_unauth_destination,
                                permit

                                smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes

                                smtpd_sasl_exceptions_networks = $mynetworks

                                smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth

                                smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot

                                smtpd_tls_ask_ccert = yes

                                smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/self-signed/smtpd.crt

                                smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/self-signed/smtpd.key

                                smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1

                                smtpd_tls_received_header = yes

                                smtpd_tls_security_level = may

                                smtpd_tls_session_cache_database =
                                btree:$data_directory/smtpd_tls_session_cache

                                tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom

                                transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport.cf

                                virtual_mailbox_domains = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_mailbox_domains.cf

                                virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_mailbox_maps.cf

                                virtual_transport = dovecot
                              • Brian Evans
                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 5, 2013
                                  On 4/5/2013 6:56 AM, Titanus Eramius wrote:
                                  > Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:09:04 -0400 (EDT) skrev Wietse Venema
                                  > <wietse@...>:
                                  >
                                  >> Titanus Eramius:
                                  >>> MAIL FROM:<>
                                  >>> 250 2.1.0 Ok
                                  >>> RCPT TO:<real-user@...>
                                  >>> 250 2.1.5 Ok
                                  >>> RCPT TO:<non-existent@...>
                                  >>> 250 2.1.5 Ok
                                  >>> If non-existent@... is substituted with non-existent@...,
                                  >>> then it is still rejected with "... unknown in virtual mailbox
                                  >>> table".
                                  >> You appear to have a wild-card rule that replaces @... with
                                  >> @.... Such a rule matches all addresses including invalid ones.
                                  >>
                                  >> Instead use a MySQL query as decribed in
                                  >> http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/postfix-users/message/247913
                                  >>
                                  >> Wietse
                                  > Thank you for the link, it was very informative, but didn't solve the
                                  > problem. I also tried making a virtual_mailbox_maps MySQL query that
                                  > always returned false, but Postfix still accepted all mail, and then
                                  > bounced it after Dovecot rejected it.

                                  You say you return "false"?
                                  Postfix expects to receive no results (a.k.a. 0 rows) if a
                                  virtual_mailbox_maps address in mysql does not exist.
                                  Do not return "false", empty string, null, or any other value if it does
                                  not exist.

                                  Brian
                                • Titanus Eramius
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 5, 2013
                                    Fri, 05 Apr 2013 08:49:39 -0400 skrev Brian Evans
                                    <grknight@...>:

                                    > > Thank you for the link, it was very informative, but didn't solve
                                    > > the problem. I also tried making a virtual_mailbox_maps MySQL query
                                    > > that always returned false, but Postfix still accepted all mail,
                                    > > and then bounced it after Dovecot rejected it.
                                    >
                                    > You say you return "false"?
                                    > Postfix expects to receive no results (a.k.a. 0 rows) if a
                                    > virtual_mailbox_maps address in mysql does not exist.
                                    > Do not return "false", empty string, null, or any other value if it
                                    > does not exist.

                                    False may be the wrong word, and I'm sorry if it is. What I mean is,
                                    virtual_mailbox_maps always returns nothing from MySQL, like so:

                                    titanus@ntdata:/etc/postfix$ sudo postmap -q test@...
                                    mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
                                    titanus@ntdata:/etc/postfix$ echo $?
                                    1
                                    (this user exists)

                                    titanus@ntdata:/etc/postfix$ sudo postmap -q non_existent@...
                                    mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
                                    titanus@ntdata:/etc/postfix$ echo $?
                                    1
                                    (this user does not)

                                    I did this because I had some trouble constructing the query-string
                                    Wietse recommended, and thought this would be a simple and easy way to
                                    test if virtual_mailbox_maps was the problem.

                                    When trying the syntax within the MySQL CLI, a "Empty set" is returned
                                    when querying for a non-existent user

                                    mysql> SELECT username FROM mailbox
                                    -> WHERE username = 'non_existent@...';
                                    Empty set (0.00 sec)

                                    I hope this better explains what I meant
                                    Cheers
                                  • Titanus Eramius
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 6, 2013
                                      Solved it :-)

                                      When sending to unknown users, Postfix now rejects the mail with "User
                                      unknown in virtual mailbox table", and it does so for hosted (that is,
                                      virtual mailbox domains) domains as well.

                                      It seems the SRS-daemon* I have been using with the main.cf parameters
                                      recipient_canonical_maps
                                      recipient_canonical_classes
                                      sender_canonical_maps
                                      sender_canonical_classes

                                      was the root of the problem. I have just commented them out to solve
                                      it. Reading through the documentation for those four parameters, does
                                      not seem to indicate why they would mess with Postfix' ability to use
                                      virtual_mailbox_maps.

                                      But I guess my lack of understanding about Postfix internals is a
                                      problem as well. I am sorry for the wasted time, and would like to
                                      thank all who helped out.

                                      Have a nice weekend

                                      * https://github.com/Fruneau/pfixtools