Selective bounce_template_file

  • Nuno Fernandes
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 16, 2013

      Hello,

      I would like to have different bounce_template_files per domain. Is that possible?

      Something like, if bounce message is to a domain *.pt use the bounce_template _file bounce.pt.cf. If this file doesn't exists use the default bounce.cf

      If the bounce message is to a domain *.es use the template bounce.es.cf...

      What i would like to achieve is to have translated bounce messages per recipient domain.

      Any other ideas?

      Thanks,

      Nuno Fernandes

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 16, 2013
        On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 09:51:53AM +0000, Nuno Fernandes wrote:

        > I would like to have different bounce_template_files per domain. Is that
        > possible?

        Postfix has no support for sender-domain (recipient of bounce domain)
        specific bounce templates.

        Nor do domains map very well to the preferred language of the particular
        sender. The boilerplate text of a bounce largely wastes the readers time
        before they (if their MUA lets them) see the real reason the message
        bounced in the per original-recipient error message collected from
        the text of SMTP (or other delivery mechanism) responses.

        A bounce template in Spanish or Portuguese will not help the
        recipient (original sender) understand the delivery error, the
        actual problem description is typically english text generated by
        the MTA that rejects the message.

        Thus in practice the least common denominator for Spanish and Portuguese
        is English. Make the bounce template as short as possible, it just distracts
        the reader from the real text they want to read. Perhaps replace:

        This is the mail system at host $myhostname.

        The mail system

        with:

        Error notice:

        which is English text that consists entirely of Latin-derived words,
        that will likely be understood also by Spanish, Portuguese and French
        readers. Even if someone does not understand "Error notice", they'll
        be spared having to worry about the offending text, its brevity will
        cause less concern that they're missing out on something important.

        Some MUAs, when displaying a bounce, don't show the text at all!
        They display machine-generated text based on the message/delivery-status
        (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3464#section-2.1) portion of the bounce.