Re: Relaying email to exchange

  • Reindl Harald
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 15, 2013
      Am 15.02.2013 01:30, schrieb Simon Walter:
      > On 02/15/2013 06:10 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
      >>
      >> no need for two MX records at all
      >
      > I think perhaps that is a bit of hasty advice. I'm quite sure given a large enough infrastructure and traffic load
      > that you'd want two or more MX records with a different SMTP server sitting behind each IP address. I could (and
      > have been) wrong though.

      in this case the setup sould be done by people which are
      knowing what they are doing and you have unlikely a
      exchange as MX

      having two MX and only one of them filters spam is dumb
      the two MX must behave identical from outside
    • Mikael Bak
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 15, 2013
        Kevin,

        On 02/14/2013 09:41 PM, Kevin Blackwell wrote:
        > I have 2 mx records. The primary is Exchanges edge server that has it's
        > own internal spam filtering. The secondary is poxtfix server relaying
        > mail to the edge server as a backup mx record. Are you saying the
        > postfix server should be behind the Exchange edge server?

        A rule of thumb is that if you must have a backup MX you should have the
        same spam defence as on the primary one.
        If you can't do that, I suggest you drop the backup MX.

        Alternatively you can hide the exchange behind a postfix, but the you
        should let postfix do the spam filtering and disable spam filter on the
        exchange.

        You must now ask you the question why you need a backup MX.

        HTH,
        Mikael