Re: virtual-regex problem

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 14, 2013

      > The above example works for me. Did you issue "postfix reload"
      > after editing the regexp file?

      Yes, I am doing postfix reload, I have verified that adding and
      removing willdcard has effect. Could aliases file have adverse effect?
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 14, 2013
        On 2/14/2013 5:11 PM, Alex wrote:

        >> The above example works for me. Did you issue "postfix reload"
        >> after editing the regexp file?
        >

        > Yes, I am doing postfix reload, I have verified that adding and
        > removing willdcard has effect. Could aliases file have adverse effect?

        Lots of things could have adverse effect, but no one knows what
        you've done.

        The sample regexp file provided works for me.

        -- Noel Jones
      • Alex
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 15, 2013

          I have checked my syntax and added another email matching string. It works only if wild card match is not present. As soon as wildcard is added other matches stop working.  I can see in the maillog that initially regex is happening and then wildcard takes over. Is there anything else I can look at it? Thank you

          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 15, 2013
            On 2/15/2013 10:34 AM, Alex wrote:
            > I have checked my syntax and added another email matching string. It
            > works only if wild card match is not present. As soon as wildcard is
            > added other matches stop working. I can see in the maillog that
            > initially regex is happening and then wildcard takes over. Is there
            > anything else I can look at it? Thank you

            As documented, virtual_alias_maps lookups are recursive, meaning the
            map is searched repeatedly until either there is no result, or the
            result is the same as the lookup key.

            To keep the wildcard from grabbing everything (wildcards are evil),
            your map must have extra entries to "protect" the addresses you
            don't want grabbed by the wildcard. This is called a 1-1 mapping entry.

            Your map must be structured similar to:

            A -> B # rewrite A to B
            B -> B # 1-1 mapping to protect B from wildcard
            wildcard # wildcard matches everything

            Your map is missing the 1-1 mapping entry, so the wildcard matches
            everything.

            -- Noel Jones
          • Alex
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 15, 2013
              It seems that regex is indeed working, but something is forcing email
              into local host instead of outside. This only happens with wildcard in
              place.

              Here is an extract from maillog:

              Feb 15 14:30:54 qa6 postfix/error[9898]: A6EC61F88989:
              to=<somename@...>, orig_to=<somename@...>, relay=none,
              delay=0.02, delays=0.01/0/0/0.01, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (User
              unknown in virtual alias table)
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 15, 2013
                On 2/15/2013 4:35 PM, Alex wrote:
                > It seems that regex is indeed working, but something is forcing email
                > into local host instead of outside. This only happens with wildcard in
                > place.
                >
                > Here is an extract from maillog:
                >
                > Feb 15 14:30:54 qa6 postfix/error[9898]: A6EC61F88989:
                > to=<somename@...>, orig_to=<somename@...>, relay=none,
                > delay=0.02, delays=0.01/0/0/0.01, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (User
                > unknown in virtual alias table)

                Postfix is documented here:

              • Alex
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 15, 2013
                  Hi Noel,

                  Furthermore wildcard seems to have an effect only on email addresses
                  for the parent domain of the postfix host.
                  If I send email to @yahoo and regex changes it to @..., this works fine.
                  If I send email to @mydomain regex changes it to wildcard.

                  Does it make sense?
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 15, 2013
                    On 2/15/2013 5:25 PM, Alex wrote:
                    > Hi Noel,
                    >
                    > Furthermore wildcard seems to have an effect only on email addresses
                    > for the parent domain of the postfix host.
                    > If I send email to @yahoo and regex changes it to @..., this works fine.
                    > If I send email to @mydomain regex changes it to wildcard.
                    >
                    > Does it make sense?

                    I'm sure postfix is doing exactly what you've told it to do.

                    Postfix is documented here:

                  • Alex
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 15, 2013
                      No doubt about it. I just wish I can understand how to change it. :)
                      Any ideas?
                    • /dev/rob0
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 15, 2013
                        On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 02:35:31PM -0800, Alex wrote:
                        > It seems that regex is indeed working, but something is forcing
                        > email into local host instead of outside. This only happens with
                        > wildcard in place.
                        >
                        > Here is an extract from maillog:
                        >
                        > Feb 15 14:30:54 qa6 postfix/error[9898]: A6EC61F88989:
                        > to=<somename@...>, orig_to=<somename@...>, relay=none,
                        > delay=0.02, delays=0.01/0/0/0.01, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (User
                        > unknown in virtual alias table)

                        Did you see my post yesterday? Pay close attention to the setting
                        (unsetting, actually) of virtual_alias_domains.

                        http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html#virtual_alias_class
                        http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html#virtual_alias
                        http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#virtual_alias_domains
                        http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#virtual_alias_maps
                      • Alex
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 15, 2013
                          Solved. One typo. I guess I was staring at the file to long.