Re: Gmail as Relayhost

  • Dominique
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 14, 2013
      On 02/13/2013 03:24 PM, Noel Jones wrote:
      [snip]
      A few choices...

      - Don't use a relayhost, deliver mail directly. This requires you have a
      static IP address with proper FCrDNS entries, which will require
      cooperation from your ISP and may cost some extra, depending on your
      current service agreement.

      - If you only have a handful of addresses, you can sign up for a free
      google apps account with your own domain name. That will allow you to
      relay through google. You are not required to use google as your MX; you
      can continue to use your own server. If you have too many for the free
      service, you might consider paying.

      - Use some third-party relayhost service, such as dyndns. This will not
      be free, but shouldn't cost very much. If you have more than a couple
      dozen email addresses, this will be cheaper than a google apps account.

      -- Noel Jones
      [snip]

      I finally went with dyndns. Low cost for the volume we have and easy to
      setup.
      But since the price is volume based I was thinking of splitting the
      outgoing trafficbetween my ISP and dym.com

      I thought of using relayhost to my ISP by default and use fallback_relay
      when the ISP failed. However the documentation of fallback_relay
      mentions only that it kicks in when then main relay fails. In my case I
      want to use it when it bounces the mail for the wrong reason (reason why
      I went with dyn.com in the first place):

      Feb 4 14:20:57 www postfix/smtp[6592]: 6CF7EA41F89:
      to=<servicios@...>, relay=smtp.movistar.es[213.4.149.228]:25,
      delay=3.4, delays=0.15/0.01/0.26/3, dsn=5.2.0, status=bounced (host
      smtp.movistar.es[213.4.149.228] said: 552 5.2.0 wDHP1k00B3cN3cx1hDHPt5
      internal error ??. 6007 (in reply to end of DATA command))

      Would it work ?

      Dominique
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 14, 2013
        On 2/14/2013 6:23 AM, Dominique wrote:
        > On 02/13/2013 03:24 PM, Noel Jones wrote:
        > [snip]
        > - Use some third-party relayhost service, such as dyndns. This will
        > not be free, but shouldn't cost very much. If you have more than a
        > couple dozen email addresses, this will be cheaper than a google
        > apps account.
        >
        > -- Noel Jones
        > [snip]
        >
        > I finally went with dyndns. Low cost for the volume we have and easy
        > to setup.
        > But since the price is volume based I was thinking of splitting the
        > outgoing trafficbetween my ISP and dym.com
        >
        > I thought of using relayhost to my ISP by default and use
        > fallback_relay when the ISP failed. However the documentation of
        > fallback_relay mentions only that it kicks in when then main relay
        > fails. In my case I want to use it when it bounces the mail for the
        > wrong reason (reason why I went with dyn.com in the first place):
        >
        > Feb 4 14:20:57 www postfix/smtp[6592]: 6CF7EA41F89:
        > to=<servicios@...>,
        > relay=smtp.movistar.es[213.4.149.228]:25, delay=3.4,
        > delays=0.15/0.01/0.26/3, dsn=5.2.0, status=bounced (host
        > smtp.movistar.es[213.4.149.228] said: 552 5.2.0
        > wDHP1k00B3cN3cx1hDHPt5 internal error ??. 6007 (in reply to end of
        > DATA command))
        >
        > Would it work ?

        No, fallback_relay is for when the preferred destination is
        unreachable. When the primary (incorrectly) rejects your mail, your
        options are somewhat limited.

        One ugly-hack workaround is to add soft_bounce=yes to the master.cf
        smtp transport entry, which will transform the 5xx reject into a 4xx
        retry, and hope the relay will accept the message on the next try.
        This can cause the unwanted side effect that if a message is
        persistently undeliverable it will hang around in your queue for
        $maximal_queue_lifetime (default 5 days).

        #master.cf existing smtp transport entry
        smtp unix - - n - - smtp
        -o soft_bounce=yes

        Hmmm... Now that I think about it, the soft_bounce setting should
        trigger a fallback_relay delivery attempt. Give it a whirl.

        And complain loudly to the ISP when the service you're paying for
        isn't working.

        -- Noel Jones
      • /dev/rob0
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 14, 2013
          On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 08:29:06AM -0600, Noel Jones wrote:
          > On 2/14/2013 6:23 AM, Dominique wrote:
          > > Feb 4 14:20:57 www postfix/smtp[6592]: 6CF7EA41F89:
          > > to=<servicios@...>,
          > > relay=smtp.movistar.es[213.4.149.228]:25, delay=3.4,
          > > delays=0.15/0.01/0.26/3, dsn=5.2.0, status=bounced (host
          > > smtp.movistar.es[213.4.149.228] said: 552 5.2.0
          > > wDHP1k00B3cN3cx1hDHPt5 internal error ??. 6007 (in reply to
          > > end of DATA command))
          snip

          > And complain loudly to the ISP when the service you're paying
          > for isn't working.

          It's seriously broken if it is giving 5xx rejections for its own
          internal errors!

          Granted, that might not be the actual reason for rejection -- it
          could be that the internal error was encountered while retrieving
          rejection messages from a database. Still: don't pay good money for
          bad service.