Re: Postscreen: bad command startup -- throttling issues

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 13, 2013
      LDB:
      > >> You show only WARNING messages.
      > >>
      > >> postscreen logs an ERROR mesage before exiting with status 1.
      > >>
      > >> Are you using a syslog configuration that logs ERRORS and WARNINGS
      > >> to different files?
      > >>
      > >> Wietse
      > >
      > > My /var/log/mail.err file is empty. I am not seeing any other postscreen messages in any of the mail or mail.{info,err,warn} logs.
      >
      > I increased the debugging output in master.cf using "-D -vvvvv".

      I did not ask you to do that. postscreen logs the error message
      and you just need to learn where to find it. Adding more logging
      just makes the information harder to find.

      Start with /etc/syslog.conf and examine EVERY FILE listed there.

      Wietse
    • LDB
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 13, 2013
        On Feb 13, 2013, at 3:14 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:

        > LDB:

        >>> My /var/log/mail.err file is empty. I am not seeing any other postscreen messages in any of the mail or mail.{info,err,warn} logs.
        >>
        >> I increased the debugging output in master.cf using "-D -vvvvv".
        >
        > I did not ask you to do that. postscreen logs the error message
        > and you just need to learn where to find it. Adding more logging
        > just makes the information harder to find.
        >
        > Start with /etc/syslog.conf and examine EVERY FILE listed there.
        >
        > Wietse

        I agree and I understood. Although, here is the impetus behind my change to produce more verbose logs.

        Postfix is seemingly logging to the correct facility:

        server:/var/log # postconf -d | grep syslog
        syslog_facility = mail
        syslog_name = ${multi_instance_name:postfix}${multi_instance_name?$multi_instance_name}

        Syslog is seemingly configured properly, as well:

        server:/var/log # grep mail /etc/rsyslog.conf
        # email-messages
        mail.* -/var/log/mail
        mail.info -/var/log/mail.info
        mail.warning -/var/log/mail.warn
        mail.err /var/log/mail.err
        *.*;mail.none;news.none -/var/log/messages

        But yet, /var/log/mail.err, remains empty.

        Once again, I am refraining from changing much of the defaults in Postfix or within the OS.

        Thank you,

        LDB
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 13, 2013
          > >> I increased the debugging output in master.cf using "-D -vvvvv".
          > >
          > > I did not ask you to do that. postscreen logs the error message
          > > and you just need to learn where to find it. Adding more logging
          > > just makes the information harder to find.
          > >
          > > Start with /etc/syslog.conf and examine EVERY FILE listed there.

          > server:/var/log # grep mail /etc/rsyslog.conf

          I asked you to examine EVERY FILE listed there. Apparently, you
          don't understand plain English.

          Maybe someone else has more patience. I am done with this thread.

          Wietse
        • Reindl Harald
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 14, 2013
            Am 13.02.2013 22:14, schrieb LDB:
            > Syslog is seemingly configured properly, as well:
            >
            > server:/var/log # grep mail /etc/rsyslog.conf
            > # email-messages
            > mail.* -/var/log/mail
            > mail.info -/var/log/mail.info
            > mail.warning -/var/log/mail.warn
            > mail.err /var/log/mail.err
            > *.*;mail.none;news.none -/var/log/messages
            >
            > But yet, /var/log/mail.err, remains empty

            and what is in the others?

            "cat /var/log/mail*" would have been the minimum i expected as
            reply and a look in /var/log/messages is also not wrong