Re: Gmail as Relayhost

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 13, 2013
      On 2/13/2013 8:45 AM, Mikael Bak wrote:
      > On 02/13/2013 03:24 PM, Noel Jones wrote:
      > [snip]
      >>
      >> - If you only have a handful of addresses, you can sign up for a
      >> free google apps account with your own domain name. That will allow
      >> you to relay through google. You are not required to use google as
      >> your MX; you can continue to use your own server. If you have too
      >> many for the free service, you might consider paying.
      >>
      > [snip]
      >
      > Too late for that!
      >
      > "Starting on December 6, 2012, Google will no longer offer new accounts
      > for the free edition of Google Apps."
      >
      > http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2855120

      Doh!
    • Dominique
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 14, 2013
        On 02/13/2013 03:24 PM, Noel Jones wrote:
        [snip]
        A few choices...

        - Don't use a relayhost, deliver mail directly. This requires you have a
        static IP address with proper FCrDNS entries, which will require
        cooperation from your ISP and may cost some extra, depending on your
        current service agreement.

        - If you only have a handful of addresses, you can sign up for a free
        google apps account with your own domain name. That will allow you to
        relay through google. You are not required to use google as your MX; you
        can continue to use your own server. If you have too many for the free
        service, you might consider paying.

        - Use some third-party relayhost service, such as dyndns. This will not
        be free, but shouldn't cost very much. If you have more than a couple
        dozen email addresses, this will be cheaper than a google apps account.

        -- Noel Jones
        [snip]

        I finally went with dyndns. Low cost for the volume we have and easy to
        setup.
        But since the price is volume based I was thinking of splitting the
        outgoing trafficbetween my ISP and dym.com

        I thought of using relayhost to my ISP by default and use fallback_relay
        when the ISP failed. However the documentation of fallback_relay
        mentions only that it kicks in when then main relay fails. In my case I
        want to use it when it bounces the mail for the wrong reason (reason why
        I went with dyn.com in the first place):

        Feb 4 14:20:57 www postfix/smtp[6592]: 6CF7EA41F89:
        to=<servicios@...>, relay=smtp.movistar.es[213.4.149.228]:25,
        delay=3.4, delays=0.15/0.01/0.26/3, dsn=5.2.0, status=bounced (host
        smtp.movistar.es[213.4.149.228] said: 552 5.2.0 wDHP1k00B3cN3cx1hDHPt5
        internal error ??. 6007 (in reply to end of DATA command))

        Would it work ?

        Dominique
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 14, 2013
          On 2/14/2013 6:23 AM, Dominique wrote:
          > On 02/13/2013 03:24 PM, Noel Jones wrote:
          > [snip]
          > - Use some third-party relayhost service, such as dyndns. This will
          > not be free, but shouldn't cost very much. If you have more than a
          > couple dozen email addresses, this will be cheaper than a google
          > apps account.
          >
          > -- Noel Jones
          > [snip]
          >
          > I finally went with dyndns. Low cost for the volume we have and easy
          > to setup.
          > But since the price is volume based I was thinking of splitting the
          > outgoing trafficbetween my ISP and dym.com
          >
          > I thought of using relayhost to my ISP by default and use
          > fallback_relay when the ISP failed. However the documentation of
          > fallback_relay mentions only that it kicks in when then main relay
          > fails. In my case I want to use it when it bounces the mail for the
          > wrong reason (reason why I went with dyn.com in the first place):
          >
          > Feb 4 14:20:57 www postfix/smtp[6592]: 6CF7EA41F89:
          > to=<servicios@...>,
          > relay=smtp.movistar.es[213.4.149.228]:25, delay=3.4,
          > delays=0.15/0.01/0.26/3, dsn=5.2.0, status=bounced (host
          > smtp.movistar.es[213.4.149.228] said: 552 5.2.0
          > wDHP1k00B3cN3cx1hDHPt5 internal error ??. 6007 (in reply to end of
          > DATA command))
          >
          > Would it work ?

          No, fallback_relay is for when the preferred destination is
          unreachable. When the primary (incorrectly) rejects your mail, your
          options are somewhat limited.

          One ugly-hack workaround is to add soft_bounce=yes to the master.cf
          smtp transport entry, which will transform the 5xx reject into a 4xx
          retry, and hope the relay will accept the message on the next try.
          This can cause the unwanted side effect that if a message is
          persistently undeliverable it will hang around in your queue for
          $maximal_queue_lifetime (default 5 days).

          #master.cf existing smtp transport entry
          smtp unix - - n - - smtp
          -o soft_bounce=yes

          Hmmm... Now that I think about it, the soft_bounce setting should
          trigger a fallback_relay delivery attempt. Give it a whirl.

          And complain loudly to the ISP when the service you're paying for
          isn't working.

          -- Noel Jones
        • /dev/rob0
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 14, 2013
            On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 08:29:06AM -0600, Noel Jones wrote:
            > On 2/14/2013 6:23 AM, Dominique wrote:
            > > Feb 4 14:20:57 www postfix/smtp[6592]: 6CF7EA41F89:
            > > to=<servicios@...>,
            > > relay=smtp.movistar.es[213.4.149.228]:25, delay=3.4,
            > > delays=0.15/0.01/0.26/3, dsn=5.2.0, status=bounced (host
            > > smtp.movistar.es[213.4.149.228] said: 552 5.2.0
            > > wDHP1k00B3cN3cx1hDHPt5 internal error ??. 6007 (in reply to
            > > end of DATA command))
            snip

            > And complain loudly to the ISP when the service you're paying
            > for isn't working.

            It's seriously broken if it is giving 5xx rejections for its own
            internal errors!

            Granted, that might not be the actual reason for rejection -- it
            could be that the internal error was encountered while retrieving
            rejection messages from a database. Still: don't pay good money for
            bad service.