Re: relay_recipient_maps not working

  • Matthew Ceroni
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
      I thought that was the issue, but when I try submitting via SMTP (using telnet as my test) it still doesn't work. I supply an invalid email and it still relays it to the relay server.

      When I run postmap -q to test (with debug turned on) it logs everything in /var/log/maillog. But I don't see that same debug output when testing through telnet to the SMTP port.

      On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
      Matthew Ceroni:
      > I am trying to setup the relay_recipient_maps option.
      >
      > I created my LDAP file (/etc/postfix/ldap-relay_recipients.cf) and tested
      > it using postmap -q. When a valid user is supplied it returns 0 and when
      > not it returns 1.

      As documented this is used in the SMTP daemon to reject mail for
      non-existent recipients.

      > However when I send an email (testing using the local command tool mail) it
      > doesn't seem to matter and the message is sent to the relay anyways.

      Local submission does not arrive via the SMTP daemon. Also, I wonder
      what you want, Postfix returning an error status when you use the
      "mail" command? How should such mail be returned to sender if it
      never makes it into the mail system in the first place?

              Wietse

    • Matthew Ceroni
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
        Well now I am even more confused.

        So I was doing some further testing and was getting a 454 relay access denied when trying to send mail through postfix to user@.... In my postfix config mydomain was set to mydomain and mydestination was set to $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain and localhost.

        The default setting for relay_domains is mydestination and subdomains thereof. So since mydestination contains $myhostname which is set to hostname.$mydomain  mydomain should be in that list for relay_domains. But I had to explicitly add mydomain to relay_domains. Once I did that it honored the relay_recipient_maps.

        I guess my understanding of the default value relay_domains takes is incorrect.

        Thanks