Restrict some users to local recipients only?

  • Patrick
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 12, 2013
      I have a customer who would like to configure the Postfix server he uses such that certain users can only send to local users. I'm wondering if there are any built-in facilities for restricting which delivery agents can be used by particular users? (Or some other clever way of achieving the same end result.) I realize security measures would also need to be taken to lock down the machine from which the mail is being sent, but that's not my problem ;)

      Thanks,

      Patrick
    • Dominik George
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 12, 2013
        Hi Patrick,

        > I have a customer who would like to configure the Postfix server he uses
        > such that certain users can only send to local users. I'm wondering if
        > there are any built-in facilities for restricting which delivery agents can
        > be used by particular users? (Or some other clever way of achieving the
        > same end result.) I realize security measures would also need to be taken
        > to lock down the machine from which the mail is being sent, but that's not
        > my problem ;)

        Does "users" for you mean

        a) clients
        b) envelope senders
        c) SASL authenticated users?

        -nik

        --
        * mirabilos is handling my post-1990 smartphone *
        <mirabilos> Aaah, it vibrates! Wherefore art thou, demonic device??

        PGP-Fingerprint: 3C9D 54A4 7575 C026 FB17 FD26 B79A 3C16 A0C4 F296
      • Patrick
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2013
          Hi Dominik,

          I believe envelope senders is what he's wanting, though SASL authenticated users could probably work, too.

          Patrick

          On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Dominik George <nik@...> wrote:
          Hi Patrick,

          > I have a customer who would like to configure the Postfix server he uses
          > such that certain users can only send to local users. I'm wondering if
          > there are any built-in facilities for restricting which delivery agents can
          > be used by particular users? (Or some other clever way of achieving the
          > same end result.) I realize security measures would also need to be taken
          > to lock down the machine from which the mail is being sent, but that's not
          > my problem ;)

          Does "users" for you mean

           a) clients
           b) envelope senders
           c) SASL authenticated users?

          -nik

          --
          * mirabilos is handling my post-1990 smartphone *
          <mirabilos> Aaah, it vibrates! Wherefore art thou, demonic device??

          PGP-Fingerprint: 3C9D 54A4 7575 C026 FB17  FD26 B79A 3C16 A0C4 F296

        • Jeroen Geilman
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 15, 2013
            On 02/14/2013 12:23 AM, Patrick wrote:

            > I have a customer who would like to configure the Postfix server he uses
            > such that certain users can only send to local users.

            Use a restriction class that implements this; examples are included here:

            I'm wondering if
            > there are any built-in facilities for restricting which delivery agents can
            > be used by particular users?

            Delivery agents deliver queued mail. The decision to accept the mail for a particular destination has already been made at that point.

            --
            J.