Postfix stable release 2.10.0

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 11, 2013
      [An on-line version of this announcement will be available at
      http://www.postfix.org/announcements/postfix-2.10.0.html%5d

      Postfix stable release 2.10.0 is available. As of now, Postfix 2.6
      is no longer updated.

      Main changes (see the RELEASE_NOTES file for details):

      * Separation of relay policy (with smtpd_relay_restrictions) from
      spam policy (with smtpd_{client, helo, sender,
      recipient}_restrictions), which makes accidental open relay
      configuration less likely. The default is backwards compatible.

      * HAproxy load-balancer support for postscreen(8) and smtpd(8).
      The nginx proxy was already supported by Postfix 2.9 smtpd(8),
      using XCLIENT commands.

      * Support for the TLSv1 and TLSv2 protocols, as well as support
      to turn them off if needed for inter-operability.

      * Laptop-friendly configuration. By default, Postfix now uses
      UNIX-domain sockets instead of FIFOs, and thus avoids MTIME
      file system updates on an idle mail system.

      * Revised postconf(1) command. The "-x" option expands $name in
      a parameter value (both main.cf and master.cf); the "-o name=value"
      option overrides a main.cf parameter setting; and postconf(1)
      now warns about a $name that has no name=value setting.

      * Sendmail-style "socketmap" lookup tables.

      You can find the updated Postfix source code at the mirrors listed
      at http://www.postfix.org/.

      Wietse
    • Luigi Rosa
      • Reindl Harald
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
          Am 12.02.2013 11:12, schrieb Luigi Rosa:
          > Wietse Venema said the following on 12/02/2013 02:02:
          >
          >> [An on-line version of this announcement will be available at
          >> http://www.postfix.org/announcements/postfix-2.10.0.html%5d
          >
          > Thank you, Wietse!
          >
          > Installed this morning (CET) non my test server. Everything works as expected.
          >
          > Just one curiosity: the "laptop-friendly configuration" could be useful also
          > for a virtualized environment because it reduces the I/O on the disk?

          and i changed some minutes ago the "fifo" to "unix" for "pickup"
          and "qmgr", thank you for that!
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
            Luigi Rosa:
            > Just one curiosity: the "laptop-friendly configuration" could be useful also
            > for a virtualized environment because it reduces the I/O on the disk?

            Only if your server turns off its disk drive.

            Wietse
          • Steve Jenkins
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
              On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 3:02 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@...> wrote:
              and i changed some minutes ago the "fifo" to "unix" for "pickup"
              and "qmgr", thank you for that!

              Will doing so on a standard system have any effect (positive or negative)? What is the default master.cf setting on a fresh 2.10 install for pickup and qmgr? The 5 installs I've done of 2.10 since yesterday have all been upgrades, so they're still both fifo.

              Thx,

              SteveJ
            • Reindl Harald
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
                Am 12.02.2013 17:44, schrieb Steve Jenkins:
                > On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 3:02 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@... <mailto:h.reindl@...>> wrote:
                >
                > and i changed some minutes ago the "fifo" to "unix" for "pickup"
                > and "qmgr", thank you for that!
                >

                > Will doing so on a standard system have any effect (positive or negative)? What is the default master.cf
                > <http://master.cf> setting on a fresh 2.10 install for pickup and qmgr? The 5 installs I've done of 2.10 since
                > yesterday have all been upgrades, so they're still both fifo.

                anounce mail:

                * Laptop-friendly configuration. By default, Postfix now uses
                UNIX-domain sockets instead of FIFOs, and thus avoids MTIME
                file system updates on an idle mail system.

                "/usr/libexec/postfix/master.cf" contains the defaults

                [root@master:~]$ cat /usr/libexec/postfix/master.cf
                #
                # Postfix master process configuration file. For details on the format
                # of the file, see the master(5) manual page (command: "man 5 master").
                #
                # Do not forget to execute "postfix reload" after editing this file.
                #
                # ==========================================================================
                # service type private unpriv chroot wakeup maxproc command + args
                # (yes) (yes) (yes) (never) (100)
                # ==========================================================================
                smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                #smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
                #smtpd pass - - n - - smtpd
                #dnsblog unix - - n - 0 dnsblog
                #tlsproxy unix - - n - 0 tlsproxy
                #submission inet n - n - - smtpd
                # -o syslog_name=postfix/submission
                # -o smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt
                # -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
                # -o smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient=no
                # -o smtpd_client_restrictions=$mua_client_restrictions
                # -o smtpd_helo_restrictions=$mua_helo_restrictions
                # -o smtpd_sender_restrictions=$mua_sender_restrictions
                # -o smtpd_recipient_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject
                # -o milter_macro_daemon_name=ORIGINATING
                #smtps inet n - n - - smtpd
                # -o syslog_name=postfix/smtps
                # -o smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes
                #628 inet n - n - - qmqpd