-o syslog_name=XYZ only shows first deferrals with that syslog_name? Retries appear to defer without the custom syslog_name.

  • Donovan Bray
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2013
      We override the syslog_name in the master.cf so that we can run pflogsumm on the resulting log files (split out by rsyslog) and we began noticing discrepancies.

      Typical line in master.cf

      smtp104_120_110_27 unix  - - n - 150 smtp -o smtp_bind_address=104.120.110.27 -o syslog_name=postfix-app1 -o smtp_helo_name=mail-27.redacted.com

      We noticed that there were errors in the main mail.log file that referenced that lines IP address but with a name of 'postfix/error' instead of 'postfix-app1/error', and pflogsumm wasn't reporting those deferrals.

      If I grep the mail.log by that lines IP address and redirect it to a file, then cat the specific log files for postfix-app1 into it, while sed'ing s/postfix-app1/postfix/g  then running pflogsumm I get all of the deferrals.

      Is the only way I can get this done by either running separate postfix instances for every IP I want to send mail as or doing this post logfile grep concat and translate?
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 11, 2013
        Donovan Bray:
        > smtp104_120_110_27 unix - - n - 150 smtp -o
        > smtp_bind_address=104.120.110.27 -o syslog_name=postfix-app1 -o
        > smtp_helo_name=mail-27.redacted.com

        This overrides the logging from the Postfix smtp(8) client.

        > We noticed that there were errors in the main mail.log file that referenced
        > that lines IP address but with a name of 'postfix/error' instead of
        > 'postfix-app1/error', and pflogsumm wasn't reporting those deferrals.

        You did not override the logging from the Postfix error(8) daemon.