permit_mx_backup needless when using rel ay_domains?

  • weber@...
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 2013
      hello,

      ist the option "permit_mx_backup" needless when i use "relay_domains"
      in my main.cf?

      my thought is, that another mailserver cant relay mails for an domain
      that is not listed in "relay_domains".
      so what is the special of "permit_mx_backkup" ?

      thanks

      marko
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 8, 2013
        weber@...:
        > ist the option "permit_mx_backup" needless when i use "relay_domains"
        > in my main.cf?
        >
        > my thought is, that another mailserver cant relay mails for an domain
        > that is not listed in "relay_domains".
        > so what is the special of "permit_mx_backkup" ?

        relay_domains: YOU specify what domains you accept.

        permit_mx_backup: RANDOM STRANGERS specify what domains you accept.

        In addition, YOU can validate recipients with relay_recipient_maps
        so that YOU don't become a backscatter source. There is no equivalent
        mechansm for permit_mx_backup, making you a backscatter source.