Re: tls for virtual mailbox domains?

  • Karim Malhas
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 8, 2013
      On 2013-02-08 11:04, Reindl Harald wrote:
      > Am 08.02.2013 10:47, schrieb Markus Grunwald:
      >> But then the hostname for the virtual domains won't match, won't it?
      >> Can I use the certificate for *.the-grue.de for *.virtualdomain.de?
      >
      > jesus christ so tell your customers use 'mail.the-grue.de' as
      > hostname
      > what benefit do you have from different hostnames?
      >
      > this is not a apache webserver with different content depending on
      > the hostname, and even there you need a IP per ssl host as long
      > WinXp is alive
      >
      > and yes this works even with business users
      > been there, done that, doing that since years for some hundret
      > domains

      Quite obviously using a generic mailhost for other
      vhosts/virtualdomains is
      the current solution, and works.

      What Markus is describing, namely completely seperating each virtual
      domain towards
      the end user, so that it's possible for a user to benefit from only
      having to
      remember a single [username, domain, password] triple for TLS encrypted
      access to
      an account, is not a completely unreasonable Idea.

      It works for http (if, as you pointed out, excluding WinXP is an
      option, depends
      on the userbase), it works for xmpp and while it doesn't work for
      mailsubmission
      or retrival, it would be nice if it did.

      I for one am waiting client support for SNI, IPv6 or mail submission
      SRV Records,
      or whatever other puzzlepiece to the solution for this problem.
      Assuming "E-Mail" will stll exist when that happens...