OT - Find spam already delivered to file system

  • list@airstreamcomm.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2013
      Just curious if anyone knows of any tools that can search for messages
      already delivered (to maildir) that are spam. We have many years of
      email on our system, some of those years before having a reliable spam
      filtering solution, so we would like to try to identify spam messages
      and purge them from our customer's mailboxes.
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2013
        On 2/6/2013 10:51 AM, list@... wrote:
        > Just curious if anyone knows of any tools that can search for
        > messages already delivered (to maildir) that are spam. We have many
        > years of email on our system, some of those years before having a
        > reliable spam filtering solution, so we would like to try to
        > identify spam messages and purge them from our customer's mailboxes.

        I think removing already-delivered mail is a terrible idea, and
        probably not legal in some places. Imagine the outcry over a single
        false positive. Whatever method you use, there will be false
        positives.

        You can probably use SpamAssassin and/or Clamav + Sanesecurity
        addons to identify suspect mail and move them to a "Spam" folder in
        the user's maildir. But you should probably give users a chance to
        opt-out (or better -- require them to opt-in) before reprocessing
        old mail.