Re: Could you help me with Postfix + MimeDefang?

  • James Griffin
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 5 9:23 AM
      --> Noel Jones <njones@...> [2013-02-04 14:56:23 -0600]:

      > On 2/4/2013 2:26 PM, Mark Alan wrote:
      >

      > > But the question here was entirely different: "... to use MimeDefang
      > > to sanitize the emails that arrive at ONE of our 3 mailing lists"
      > >
      > > The problem was not to apply mimedefang to all incoming mail (like a
      > > milter base config usually does).
      > > The problem is how to do it in order to to process a SINGLE target
      > > email address (the address of a given mailing list), without consuming
      > > unnecessary machine resources, i.e., without "miltering" all the email
      > > that arrives at the postfix server.
      >
      > Sorry, missed that part.
      >
      > A milter applies to all mail. If you want the milter to only
      > process some mail, hopefully there are controls within the milter
      > application for that.

      I believe demime would/could achieve what you're looking for. It
      is used on a few mailing lists i'm subscribed to and it's quite
      easy to set up. Have you considered that or other alternatives?

      --
      Primary Key: 4096R/1D31DC38 2011-12-03
      Key Fingerprint: A4B9 E875 A18C 6E11 F46D B788 BEE6 1251 1D31 DC38
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 5 9:53 AM
        > On 5 Feb 2013, at 4:46, Mark Alan wrote:
        >
        >> On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 22:13:14 -0500, "Bill Cole"
        >> <postfixlists-070913@...> wrote:
        >>
        >>> alternative to hooking the MD milter into your main smtpd would
        >>> be to
        >>> define a transport in master.cf running smtpd with MD as a milter,
        >>> and use postfix's transport map to route just the one address there.
        >>> This would also allow you to avoid the ugly problem of envelope
        >>> recipient splitting inside MD.
        >>
        >> Well, that was also my gut feeling, that was why I posted here to try
        >> to find some (solid) evidence.
        >>
        >> So, assuming MD SPOOLDIR='/var/spool/postfix/mimedefang' and
        >> SOCKET='/var/spool/postfix/mimedefang/mimedefang.sock',
        >
        > Bad idea. Don't put non-postfix stuff in /var/spool/postfix/. The
        > default
        > SPOOLDIR='/var/spool/MIMEDefang' and
        > SOCKET='/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock' are fine.
        >
        >> would the
        >> following do the job?
        >>
        >> postconf -e 'virtual_alias_maps = /etc/postfix/virtual-alias-maps
        >> # /etc/postfix/virtual-alias-maps
        >> mailing_list_1@... mailing_list_1@...
        >> postconf -e 'transport_maps = /etc/postfix/virtual-transport'
        >> # /etc/postfix/virtual-transport
        >> mailing_list_1@... filteredmlmmj:mailing_list_1
        >> # /etc/postfix/master.cf
        >> # transport for the mlmmj mailing lists
        >> mlmmj unix - n n - - pipe
        >> flags=ORhu user=mlmmj argv=/usr/bin/mlmmj-receive -F
        >> -L /var/spool/mlmmj/$nexthop
        >> # filtered transport for the mlmmj mailing list manager
        >> filteredmlmmj unix - - - - - mlmmj
        >> -o smtpd_milters = unix:mimedefang/mimedefang.sock
        >>
        >> Please note, in this last statement, 'unix', 'mlmmj' and '-o
        >> smtpd_milters' nad the 5 dashes.
        >
        > Substantially wrong. You would need to define a new transport in
        > master.cf running *smtpd* in the manner used for a submission daemon
        > or the transport used for amavisd output. e.g. something like this:
        >
        > localhost:10025 inet n - n - - smtpd
        > -o smtpd_milters=unix:/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock
        > -o transport_maps=
        > (maybe other -o lines to override main.cf)

        You're on the right track here.

        The transport table cannot be overridden with a -o option, so this
        would need to go through a separate postfix instance, not just a
        different smtpd listener.

        On 2/5/2013 11:23 AM, James Griffin wrote:
        > I believe demime would/could achieve what you're looking for. It
        > is used on a few mailing lists i'm subscribed to and it's quite
        > easy to set up. Have you considered that or other alternatives?

        That sounds like a much easier solution.