Re: postfix-install: bin/postconf ignores new settings and re-uses old main.cf

  • Reindl Harald
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2013
      Am 04.02.2013 02:05, schrieb Mark Ashley:
      > I ran across a problem when installing postfix 2.9.5 on Solaris 10 and
      > 11. If there is a pre-existing main.cf on the system then the "make
      > install" step will re-use this, instead of using the settings
      > contained in the new 2.9.5 code tree.
      >
      > It makes installing a new version problematic as you don't expect that
      > sort of behaviour, old configs polluting new code. It's billed as a
      > "transition aid" but it's annoying when you go out of your way to
      > configure the postfix source tree to use other settings.

      sorry but what do you expcet?

      here are running a lot of postfix installs initially setup with
      postfix 2.4.x and now running on 2.10dev and a update should
      never mangle or replace existing configurations especially
      since postfix is backward compatbile like no other software
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2013
        On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 12:05:09PM +1100, Mark Ashley wrote:

        > I ran across a problem when installing postfix 2.9.5 on Solaris 10 and
        > 11. If there is a pre-existing main.cf on the system then the "make
        > install" step will re-use this, instead of using the settings
        > contained in the new 2.9.5 code tree.
        >
        > It makes installing a new version problematic as you don't expect that
        > sort of behaviour, old configs polluting new code. It's billed as a
        > "transition aid" but it's annoying when you go out of your way to
        > configure the postfix source tree to use other settings.

        The postfix-install script supports construction of "packages" that
        are neither influenced by nor capture the main.cf settings of the
        build host. Instead of doing an "install" or an "upgrade", create
        a package, then install the package on any machine of your choice.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2013
          Hey folks,

          I've added a substitution line for this problem to my compile recipe
          and am posting it here for the record.
          The install script now ignores any pre-existing configs on the machine
          and runs with the substituted settings
          added at compile time.

          This builds the software on Solaris 10 and 11, putting it wholly into
          the /usr/local tree, preserving the stock OS configs.
          The Solaris package preinstall scripts handle starting up postfix as a
          SMF service and disabling sendmail. The
          packages are now on the archive provided below.

          I'll depart this high volume list now this posting has been made.

          ta,
          Mark.
          http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/packages/solaris/sparc/

          cd /var/tmp
          rm -rf postfix-2.9.5
          untgz /usr/local/src/net/postfix-2.9.5.tar.gz
          cd postfix-2.9.5
          /bin/perl -pe "s%/etc/postfix%/usr/local/etc/postfix%"
          -i src/global/mail_params.h
          /bin/perl -pe "s%/usr/libexec/postfix%/usr/local/libexec/postfix%"
          -i src/global/mail_params.h
          /bin/perl -pe "s%/var/lib/postfix%/usr/local/var/postfix%"
          -i src/global/mail_params.h
          /bin/perl -pe "s%/var/spool/postfix%/usr/local/spool/postfix%"
          -i src/global/mail_params.h
          /bin/perl -pe "s%/usr/sbin%/usr/local/sbin%"
          -i src/global/mail_params.h
          /bin/perl -pe "s%/usr/local/man%/usr/local/man%"
          -i src/global/mail_params.h
          /bin/perl -pe "s%/usr/lib/sendmail%/usr/local/sbin/sendmail%"
          -i src/util/sys_defs.h
          /bin/perl -pe "s%/usr/bin/mailq%/usr/local/bin/mailq%"
          -i src/util/sys_defs.h
          /bin/perl -pe "s%/usr/bin/newaliases%/usr/local/bin/newaliases%"
          -i src/util/sys_defs.h
          /bin/perl -pe "s%/usr/sbin%/usr/local/sbin%"
          -i src/util/sys_defs.h
          /bin/perl -pe "s%/usr/libexec/postfix%/usr/local/libexec/postfix%"
          -i src/util/sys_defs.h
          /bin/perl -pe "s%/var/spool/postfix%/usr/local/spool/postfix%"
          -i conf/main.cf
          /bin/perl -pe "s%/var/lib/postfix%/usr/local/var/postfix%"
          -i conf/main.cf
          /bin/perl -pe "s%/usr/libexec/postfix%/usr/local/libexec/postfix%"
          -i conf/main.cf
          /bin/perl -pe "s%:/etc/postfix%:/usr/local/etc/postfix%"
          -i conf/main.cf
          /bin/perl -pe "s%mailq_path =.*%mailq_path =
          /usr/local/bin/mailq%" -i conf/main.cf
          /bin/perl -pe "s%sendmail_path =.*%sendmail_path =
          /usr/local/sbin/sendmail%" -i conf/main.cf
          /bin/perl -pe "s%newaliases_path =.*%newaliases_path =
          /usr/local/sbin/newaliases%" -i conf/main.cf
          /bin/perl -pe "s%manpage_directory =.*%manpage_directory =
          /usr/local/man%" -i conf/main.cf
          /bin/perl -pe "s%command_directory =.*%command_directory =
          /usr/local/sbin%" -i conf/main.cf

          mv /usr/local/include/ndbm.h /usr/local/include/ndbm.h.not
          make \
          CC="${CC}" \
          makefiles
          opensolaris:
          make \
          CC="${CC}" \
          CCARGS=-DNO_NIS \
          makefiles
          make
          /bin/perl -pe "s%/var/spool/postfix%/usr/local/spool/postfix%"
          -i conf/main.cf.default
          /bin/perl -pe "s%/var/lib/postfix%/usr/local/var/postfix%"
          -i conf/main.cf.default
          /bin/perl -pe "s%/usr/libexec/postfix%/usr/local/libexec/postfix%"
          -i conf/main.cf.default
          /bin/perl -pe "s%:/etc/postfix%:/usr/local/etc/postfix%"
          -i conf/main.cf.default
          /bin/perl -pe "s%mailq_path =.*%mailq_path =
          /usr/local/bin/mailq%" -i conf/main.cf.default
          /bin/perl -pe "s%sendmail_path =.*%sendmail_path =
          /usr/local/sbin/sendmail%" -i conf/main.cf.default
          /bin/perl -pe "s%newaliases_path =.*%newaliases_path =
          /usr/local/sbin/newaliases%" -i conf/main.cf.default
          /bin/perl -pe "s%manpage_directory =.*%manpage_directory =
          /usr/local/man%" -i conf/main.cf.default
          /bin/perl -pe "s%command_directory =.*%command_directory =
          /usr/local/sbin%" -i conf/main.cf.default
          /bin/perl -pe 's%chown \$owner %chown \$USER %'
          -i postfix-install
          /bin/perl -pe 's%\"\$mail_owner\"%\"\$USER\"%'
          -i postfix-install
          /bin/perl -pe 's%-c \$CONFIG_DIRECTORY -h%-c conf -h%'
          -i postfix-install
          make install
          mv /usr/local/include/ndbm.h.not /usr/local/include/ndbm.h