Re: 25-th port is not opened

  • John Allen
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2013
      >> How about a simple test to see if it running, ps  -A | grep
      master
      >no, it isn't running:

      There is not much point in looking anywhere for a solution for problems, until you have Postfix running.
      Try         "service postfix start"      what happens?

      John A
    • Reindl Harald
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2013
        Am 02.02.2013 18:45, schrieb John Allen:
        >>> How about a simple test to see if it running, ps -A | grep master
        >>no, it isn't running:
        >
        > There is not much point in looking anywhere for a solution for problems, until you have Postfix running.
        > Try "service postfix start" what happens?

        if you would have read the thread you would have
        seen that sysvinit believes it is started and say OK

        /usr/sbin/postfix -c /etc/postfix start
        or maybe on older systems before UsrMove
        /sbin/postfix -c /etc/postfix start

        would be a better chance to get REALLY output
      • John Allen
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2013
          On 02/02/2013 1:16 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

          >>> no, it isn't running:
          >> There is not much point in looking anywhere for a solution for problems, until you have Postfix running.
          >> Try "service postfix start" what happens?
          > if you would have read the thread you would have
          > seen that sysvinit believes it is started and say OK
          >
          > /usr/sbin/postfix -c /etc/postfix start
          > or maybe on older systems before UsrMove
          > /sbin/postfix -c /etc/postfix start
          >
          > would be a better chance to get REALLY output

          I agree, but it might be a nice idea to see what happens with manual
          start. After all there is nothing in the logs that we have been told
          about that say it ever started, no matter what sysvint says.

          What we have is :
          nothing listening on port 25, 465(?), 587.
          master does not appear in the output of ps, if Postfix is running I
          would assume we should see it
          if you run "ps -A | grep master"

          So what evidence is there that it was ever started, has it been added to
          the init.
          At the moment we have no evidence that it started, and certainly none
          that it started successfully.
        • arsen.shnurkov
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2013
            > What we have is :
            > nothing listening on port 25, 465(?), 587.
            > master does not appear in the output of ps, if Postfix is running
            > I would assume we should see it
            > if you run "ps -A | grep master"
            >
            > So what evidence is there that it was ever started, has it been added
            > to the init.
            > At the moment we have no evidence that it started, and certainly none
            > that it started successfully.

            The source of error was the old configuration script.
            I found this with strace log file - http://bpaste.net/show/74653/

            line 229:

            execve("/usr/lib64/postfix/postfix-script",
            ["/usr/lib64/postfix/postfix-script", "start"], [/* 18 vars */]) = -1
            ENOEXEC (Exec format error)

            Distribution maintainers move directory, but I didn't update script
            properly.

            Old script has
            daemon_directory = /usr/lib64/postfix
            now it is